Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

does a settlement on 2nd generate a 1099

Hi all-

We have been discharged (7) and did not reaffirm the house. If we settle on the 2nd, does that generate a taxable event?

I assume it does, but I wasn't sure what the rules are after discharge.

Thanks

I'm assuming that you discharged the 2nd. In that case, I don't think you should get a 1099, since you don't have any legal responsiblity to pay for that debt. I may be wrong, though.

Comment

You would get a 1099 as that is created whenever they wipe away debt. It however means nothing to you as you were no longer liable for the debt.
      3/2/09- Filed: chapter 7 / No asset
      4/1/09- 341 Hearing: 1 creditor showed up Got to love family feuds
      4/2/09- Trustee Report of No Distribution Filed
      6/24/09- Discharged and case closed

Comment

Thanks!

One more question. If I do get a 1099 as Debtender said then how do I notify the IRS that I am no liable for the debt?

Comment

Originally posted by goingcrzy View Post
          Thanks!

One more question. If I do get a 1099 as Debtender said then how do I notify the IRS that I am no liable for the debt?
          You may need to file Form 982 Forgiveness of Debt. Since you will probably get a 1099-A/C, you'll need to deal with it. In that case, I might think about having a "professional" (H&R Block type) do your taxes for the year in which you receive the 1099-A/C.
          Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
          Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

If you received a chapter 7 discharge, and settled the mortgage AFTER the discharge, there are no income tax consequences; meaning you won't have to pay income tax on the deficiency. But the bank might still issue a 1099, which will require you to complete IRS Form 982 but simply check the box for "the debt was included in bankruptcy."

Comment

Makes sense.

Thank you very much for your help. Have a great weekend everyone!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X