Getting Married? How my foreclosure and BK will affect him

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting Married? How my foreclosure and BK will affect him

I filed chp 7 4-5 years ago. I have given back my house. I think I am due to be out in Jan. I stayed there for the last 4 years. I never reafirmmed the debt. I just stayed until I felt it was time to go. I moved in with BF and we are talking marriage and I am curious.
    How will my foreclosure affect him. Will I be responsible for any deficiencies since it was chp 7? How will my credit affect him...BTW I just got approved for a sams card and Kohls.....NO I am not using them..Not going there
    I am sure this has been asked many times..but it is hard to find..Thanks for all your help...

I'm laughing right now! You actually stayed in the house rent free for 4 years, geez is that funny.

What state are you in?

Mike

Comment

Made house payments 4 years after chapter 7 filing. It's been 1 year since I have made a payment.

Comment

Originally posted by dilynn View Post
        Made house payments 4 years after chapter 7 filing. It's been 1 year since I have made a payment.
        This is very interesting.... did you reafirm the mortgage? If not why did you bother making the payments?

Comment

Originally posted by dilynn View Post
          I filed chp 7 4-5 years ago. I have given back my house. I think I am due to be out in Jan. I stayed there for the last 4 years. I never reafirmmed the debt. I just stayed until I felt it was time to go. I moved in with BF and we are talking marriage and I am curious.
          How will my foreclosure affect him. Will I be responsible for any deficiencies since it was chp 7? How will my credit affect him...BTW I just got approved for a sams card and Kohls.....NO I am not using them..Not going there
          I am sure this has been asked many times..but it is hard to find..Thanks for all your help...
          To answer your question, your foreclosure will not affect your future spouse as long as you don't attempt to obtain joint credit, mortgage, etc. with him until the Chapter 7 is off your credit reports (10 years from date of filing). Since you did not reaffirm your mortgage but continued to pay for 3 years past your chapter 7, I am not certain with that long passage of time if your mortgage will be listed as included in your filing 3 years previous or listed as a foreclosure. If listed as a foreclosure due to the length of time between your filing and you actually leaving the house, you will now have a BK and a foreclosure on your records which is not a good thing as having a BK/Foreclosure or a BK/Repossession are the two worst things one can have listed on a credit report. BK is bad enough. As long as you keep your credit separate from your husband, he should not be affected at all by your BK or foreclosure.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Hi, I have a relative in the same position as the original poster-his BK was pre-new laws in 2005

-I thought the info I received here was a little different--can anyone clarify?

Specifically--if a mort was not re-affirmed--wouldn't that mean that the foreclosure would still be IIB on a credit report? Even a few years later?

Where can this info be found? Anyone else experience this? I have talked to so many people and have heard so many different things--

How would one find out the legal credit effect--how the foreclosure is legally supposed to be reported?
            Who is the governing body of how this is supposed to be reported?

Wouldn't listing it as anything other than IIB be some sort of violation of the BK protection that is supposed to be afforded?

It seems there shouldn't be any difference if the bk was dischgarged, and the mort was listed but not reaffirmed.

I've heard stories of people who are still in their houses 3 yrs later after their BK--and the foreclosure still has not happened-lenders dilly dally-or no one knows who owns the mort etc...
            If the credit co's are allowed to just put anything they want due to the time that has passed, it defies the purpose of BK in some ways--

Anyone know where to find the info?

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X