Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beware -- Questionable Affidavit Being Required for Deed In Lieu

Hey y'all!

It's been a long time since I posted here, and two and a half years post-Ch7 I am doing very well! I hope you are too -- or are about to be, in any case!

But I have a friend who is going through this now, and received a question from him that I wanted to run by you all, because all my book larnin' regarding bk code has faded pretty rapidly in my head after all this time.

Anyway, long story short, my friend has an elderly mother who owns a house for which she got behind on the payments. After two years and several tries to work out a payment plan (each of which were set waaaaaaay too high by the mortgage company; the woman is living off SS and a small pension and just couldn't afford the inflated makeup payments) she finally decided to move out. The house -- while still sellable and in good shape -- is now sitting empty, and she is several miles away in a rental and moved on with her life.

This dear lady has no assets, and no income that can be legally garnished, so she's effectively judgement proof. Facing imminent foreclosure, her son (acting as power of attorney) decided to approach the mortgage company in regard to a deed-in-lieu since the house is already empty, thinking that would be easier for this elderly lady than going through a full foreclosure.

The mortgage company agreed -- it's a desirable property in a good neighborhood and will sell even in this market with a minimum of effort on their part -- and sent this lady a deed-in-lieu. She and her son took it to a legal aid attorney because they had a number of concerns about it -- specifically, the language seemed to indicate that the mortgage company was actually holding out to claim a deficiency balance from her after the title transferred. The legal aid attorney agreed and drafted a counterproposal. This was sent to the mortgage company, which of course responded that they had to draft their own but they would take it under consideration.

Several weeks later, the mortgage company sent this lady another deed-in-lieu that was amazingly similar to the first, if I'm remembering correctly. This lady and her son, knowing that she can easily file Ch7 if the mortgage company decides to renege on their assurances not to pursue a deficiency balance, decided to go ahead and sign, which they did. This was properly executed and sent back to the mortgage company a few weeks ago.

This is where it gets ugly.

Instead of registering the deed normally with the clerk of court (which, according to the legal aid attorney, was technically valid as soon as it was executed) the mortgage company has sent this lady a whole new deed-in-lieu with even more questionable provisions, as well as an affidavit they expect her to sign. This affidavit includes two exceptionally stinky clauses: one that affirms this lady is not insolvent (she is, and had claimed insolvency in her written application for deed-in-lieu to begin with) and another that affirms she does not now or in the future intend to seek bankruptcy protection.

Basically, what I think the mortgage company is trying to do with this -- AFTER a valid deed-in-lieu has already been executed -- is entrap this dear lady into making false written statements regarding her financial position in order to have the debt (in this case, any future deficiency balance) rendered non-dischargeable by fraud should she seek Ch 7 protection in regard to it, OR at the very least, render her bk more difficult and expensive by mounting a creditor objection, which they are very clearly positioning the agreement to facilitate.

That's so dirty I just don't even have words, but there ya have it. Apparently their position is to completely ignore what has already been executed, thinking this dear lady is desperate to avoid foreclosure. She may be for emotional reasons, but her son, my friend, is not. My friend has no intention of allowing his mother to sign the thing, and has simply not yet responded.

I actually think non-response at this point is the best way to deal with it right now, because the less she says the more options she has in any future bankruptcy, plus he has copies of the executed deed-in-lieu she's already signed, as well as the letters that went back and forth between them before they got to this point. If she does nothing right now, worst-case scenario is that the bank forecloses anyway, and she has not imperiled any future Ch7 by making statements that could complicate things or keep any deficiency balance from being discharged. So there's no immediate danger of anything -- she's out of the house anyway and her son won't let her be bulldozed -- but they're quite upset. That is just some seriously dirty shizzle to pull on an old lady, especially after doing all they could to guarantee she could never catch up on the mortgage by making sure the payments stayed out of her reach. (Honestly, it's like they wanted the property from the start... weird, I know, but that's my gut take on it.)

My question for those of you who have done your research is this: I seem to recall, back when my head was still full of reliable bk information that the idea of structuring any kind of legal agreement that is intended to preclude or supersede a future bankruptcy is not only invalid and unenforceable, but that disallowing anything like it is a core tenet of the bankruptcy code. But I can't remember what it's called or where to find it anymore in the law.

The other thing is, beyond the new deed-in-lieu and affidavit itself, has anyone else encountered this? If so, what were your experiences? (I did a search of the forum but didn't find anything, so either I'm searching wrong or no one else has been this unfortunate yet. )

Anyway, all input appreciated -- and anyone seeking a deed-in-lieu should be aware of this. You gotta know what you're signing. I shudder to think what would have happened to this lady had her son not been a very careful sort of fellow...

Thank you so much for reading this long thing! I remember you all fondly and have thanked you a million times in my heart for all the help you gave me, and still do try to pay it forward. You're the best!!!

Thanks again,

FreshLikeADaisy
    Last edited by FreshLikeADaisy; 08-13-2010, 06:54 PM.
    Nolo Press book on filing Chapter 7, there are others too. (I have no affiliation with Nolo Press; just a happy customer.) Best wishes to you!

Wow, that's really terrible! Thank goodness her son is on top of things. I don't have any knowledge of or experience with deed in lieu ....

But I do have a question ... if the home really would sell for what it's worth or maybe a little bit above which she can pocket, why not just put it up for sale? It's empty so there would be no inconvenience to her or her son for showings, I don't get why they wouldn't just list the house and try to sell it???

Comment

Hi Abbey! Basically, it's because even though it will sell, and it's in a good neighborhood, the price is certain to be lower than what she owes (short sale) and she and her son just don't have another penny to put into it. Getting it into tip-top shape would be less than $5000 -- not a lot, but on top of the inevitable short sale and already being drained dry by mortgage payments she couldn't afford, plus the effort involved... it's just not happening. They did try to sell it themselves, sort of, before they moved out, and even after they left they found a realtor that would happily try for a short sale, but none of that addresses the potential deficiency balance.

From what I understand, given the amount remaining on the mortgage vs. what it would likely sell for, the deficiency balance is likely to be in the $20-40k range -- my guesstimate, anyhow, based on what they told me. Add even just a few thousand for repairs, and it's just not workable. She's living on Social Security and a very small pension, plus what her son contributes, and it was fine for a long time -- but then she got behind a couple years ago and it's been hell ever since.

Sorry I didn't make that clearer -- it's all about getting out from under a deficiency balance, as well as makeup payments that consumed her *entire* monthly income. The assets she could have used now to sell it got consumed in keeping up the inflated payments. Staying, or even spending what little it would take to get the house really marketable, are out of the question -- though readily doable for the mortgage company.

Hope that helps!
      Nolo Press book on filing Chapter 7, there are others too. (I have no affiliation with Nolo Press; just a happy customer.) Best wishes to you!

Comment

Just let it go into foreclosure.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshLikeADaisy View Post
          Hi Abbey! Basically, it's because even though it will sell, and it's in a good neighborhood, the price is certain to be lower than what she owes (short sale) and she and her son just don't have another penny to put into it. Getting it into tip-top shape would be less than $5000 -- not a lot, but on top of the inevitable short sale and already being drained dry by mortgage payments she couldn't afford, plus the effort involved... it's just not happening. They did try to sell it themselves, sort of, before they moved out, and even after they left they found a realtor that would happily try for a short sale, but none of that addresses the potential deficiency balance.

From what I understand, given the amount remaining on the mortgage vs. what it would likely sell for, the deficiency balance is likely to be in the $20-40k range -- my guesstimate, anyhow, based on what they told me. Add even just a few thousand for repairs, and it's just not workable. She's living on Social Security and a very small pension, plus what her son contributes, and it was fine for a long time -- but then she got behind a couple years ago and it's been hell ever since.

Sorry I didn't make that clearer -- it's all about getting out from under a deficiency balance, as well as makeup payments that consumed her *entire* monthly income. The assets she could have used now to sell it got consumed in keeping up the inflated payments. Staying, or even spending what little it would take to get the house really marketable, are out of the question -- though readily doable for the mortgage company.

Hope that helps!
          Thanks for the clarification, for whatever reason I was under the impression that if she sold it, it would cover the balance.

I agree with the previous poster, let it foreclose if the bank is going to play like that. In fact, maybe a formal complaint or consult with an attorney on what they are trying to do would be warranted. I'm curious to know what happens with this, keep us posted.

Comment

Just curious which fine banking institution is trying these insane tactics?

In my neighborhood (NJ) a house was signed over by the previous owners, but the bank sat on it and did not record the deed until an auction was held and the property didn't get a high enough bid. So who the heck knows what their plans are.

I think I'd be tempted to force their hand by filing a chapter 7. I don't think dealing with them is going to get any easier.
            filed chapter 13..confirmed...converted to chapter 7...DISCHARGED!

Comment

catlet....in nj...when and if the bank sells the house, it's one of those states where they can go after you for the difference....including all cost assoc. with the foreclosure. that's why so many people go bankrupt after the foreclosures in nj...since that state also has no cap on foreclosure fees...one can rack up 50k-100k worth of additional fees!!! nj is well know to be a "creditor" state.

the deed will not transfer over until the foreclosure is completed....i know...our property was in nj and they refuse to change over the deed...i am working on it this moment, trying to be pro active since this can come back to bite us at some future time and, since the house was surrendered and they can no longer incur even post bankruptcy foreclosure charges in anyway...it would be agains federal court order. (we have NO hoa fees...) we are also writing the bank this week telling them to not set foot on the premises to maintain it until the situation is resolve as we will no longer be liaible for anything that happens if they continue to enter onto the property while it is in our names...we r over 2000 miles away at this point.

frankly daisy, i would like your friends mom will be fine...with that legal instument of the deed in lieu, and filing of a chapter 7 including the surrendering of the home...it really should be no problem ...one would think...but who knows anymore about much!! LOL!!
              8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

Well, the thing is that it's a deed-in-lieu that's already been executed -- in a foreclosure the court transfers the deed back to the bank, but in a deed-in-lieu situation the deed transfer is voluntary (and in this case, already done) so there's no having to wait for any further procedure to record it. Their failure to record is just dirty dealing.

Thanks so much for the responses! I'm fixing to go have coffee with him now, so I'll let him know.

Catleg, thanks for sharing your experience -- though it won't be a foreclosure auction as such, what you describe sounds exactly like what they're trying to do. FYI, the bank is Regions and the state is Florida.

Tobee, has the actual foreclosure already taken place? If so, you have a court order to prove that the house was no longer in your possession as of ___ date, so no need to worry about if/when they actually record it (though I confess that I too would be squirming!). And CONGRATULATIONS on your discharge!!!

But yeah, my friend is definitely keeping Ch7 open as an option for his mother, so we're not worried -- ESPECIALLY since she's already out of the house.

Thanks for the kind wishes! I'll keep you updated. And if anyone has any further insight on my original question I'd surely appreciate it -- how the idea of structuring any kind of legal agreement that is intended to preclude or supersede a future bankruptcy is not only invalid and unenforceable, but that disallowing anything like it is a core tenet of the bankruptcy code, and what it's called/where to find it in the law.

Thanks again!!!

Comment

actually...sorry daisy...i got "lost" in the moment...

really good news i believe on the "legal" front...but i'm certain someone will correct me in i am wrong...apparently, if the first document was valid..it should be good and alright??

please check out http://title.firstam.com/assets/titl...le236-9781.pdf

"Both federal and state courts have upheld the validity and enforceability of a carefully drafted pre-workout agreement (also often referred to as a pre-negotiation agreement; the document will hereafter be referred to as a “pre-workout agreement” in this article) that explicitly disclaims any modification or amendment of the existing mortgage loan documents (or any intention to modify or amend any such loan documents absent a final written agreement executed by the parties). Such agreements generally protect the lender from any claims by the borrower based on equitable theories such as reliance, waiver, estoppel, oral modification, or breach of the duty of “good faith and fair dealing.”

i believe it may be found under section 363 of the US Bankruptcy Code or there abouts...i do believe that section does deal with any agreements including waivers etc of collateral...(it's also been a while for me as well as doing any studying on the actual laws). but this may or may not help...
                  Last edited by tobee43; 08-15-2010, 11:06 AM.
                  8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

[QUOTE=FreshLikeADaisy;440136]
                    Tobee, has the actual foreclosure already taken place? If so, you have a court order to prove that the house was no longer in your possession as of ___ date, so no need to worry about if/when they actually record it (though I confess that I too would be squirming!). And CONGRATULATIONS on your discharge!!!

QUOTE]

no daisy...they have not foreclosed as yet and are delaying it and delaying it. we got served with the papers 11/09...and now they are saying it could be another 3 years...right?? LOL..

we have no "court" order per sa...just the discharge and the petition in the bankruptcy which indicates the house was and has been surrendered at the time of filing...which should be good enough one would think???

and thanks for the congrats...i still have this one thing to conquer!

also the deed in lieu the bank accepts the property back and assumes the balance as clear...while in the bankruptcy the only thing that happens is the mortgage debt is discharged but the deed remains in ones name. the deed in lieu should remove all responsibly from what i understood..which may not be much!! LOL
                    Last edited by tobee43; 08-15-2010, 10:38 AM.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X