top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We *thought* the house was out of our names ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We *thought* the house was out of our names ...

This is a bit of a long story ...

House included and discharged in ch 7 bk. Live in Illinois, a Judicial state. House was sold at sheriff sale on October 12th 2010 to the bank that had our HELOC. They bought it for $1 over what was owed on the first mortgage. We turned over posession of the house in late November to the bank that bought it. In Illinois, there needs to be a court hearing where a judge confirms the sale of the home before the deed is recorded. The hearing for the judge to order the approval of the sale was on Jan 25th 2011. A few weeks after that date, I called the sheriffs office and asked if the deed was recorded/out of our names. I was told yes and they sent me a copy of the sheriffs deed which included the sale date of October 12th.

A week ago, we received a notice of motion to amend the order approving the sale of the home - this is set to be heard in front of a judge on May 24th. It is from the attorneys office that handled the foreclosure from the first mortgage. I called them to see what this is all about and they told me that the judge did NOT sign the order approving the sale back in January, and it is now set for May 24th. I asked why he didn't approve it and all I was told was that the Judge requested a later hearing to approve the sale and something about "paperwork." I then asked the person I was talking to (a legal secretary) if the house/deed was still in our names. She said that it is, the deed was never recorded and what I received from the sheriffs office was confirmation of the sheriffs sale, but not the actual name change on the deed. Lo and behold, it is still our house at this time.

Since turning over posession of the house to the bank that bought it, the bank has gutted the place -- new kitchen, granite countertops, new bathrooms, new carpet, pulled out trees/bushes/landscaping, plans for a new walkway/sidewalk from the driveway to the front door, plans to paint the entire house, they pulled the hot tub out of the deck and filled in the hole with new wood etc... It wasn't in terrible shape or anything, but was in need of some sprucing up. We left it good condition -- spotless, floors cleaned, carpets vacuumed, nothing left in the place, the 1 acre property was spotless when we turned it over to them.

Well, someone from the village came by the other day and put a stop work order on the front door b/c they have not had ANY permits to do the work! They also pulled out a bunch of evergreen trees/bushes, which they needed approval/permits to do. The village is strict about trees -- if it is a nice tree that is removed, it needs to be replaced and the plans need to be approved. Needless to say, I am a little unsettled over this now that I know the house is still in our names. I don't want the village going after us for fines or something like that since they did all this work w/out permits. Furthermore, I am pretty pissed that we could have spent another 8 months or so in the house without paying the rent we are paying since we moved out. Additionally, the "clock" that starts the time when we can buy another house isn't even started yet until the deed is out of our names, yet we thought it had already started back in late January when we were told the deed was recorded.

I plan on calling the person from the bank to whom we gave posession of the house and discussing things with him. He is a Senior VP at the bank (small, local bank) and has been apparently been making all of the decisions on the work to be done on the house. One of my dear friends lives in the house across the street from our former home, which is how I know all of this. She saw the bank VP there this morning and said he didn't look too happy when he was reading the large red stop work order from the village on the front door!

I kind of feel like asking this guy to reimburse us our rent money ( I know, fat chance of that) since we were told that the house was to be out of our names back in January. I am also wondering how they are going to get permits for the work that they are doing/have already done when they are not the formal owners of the house yet. Wouldn't we need to be the ones applying for permits for the work?

I am thinking that this is such an unusual situation that no one knows the answers to my questions, but what do you think?

wow abbey, what an interesting plight!!!! i use to worry about our names still being on the deed, but no longer. in our state the statue of limitation on the bank to change it over is 20 years, so i'm laying back and going with the flow...we aren't liable for anything, and that's really all i was and am concerned about at this point. however, of course our curiosity does want to know what is going on with our surrendered property 1800 miles a way..on certain days..LOL!!

also, it appears that judge is being extremely careful before he/she signs over anything to the bank until all the paperwork is clean as a whistle!

i can't believe who ever is doing all that work did it without a permit!!! shoot we just had to go through the MILL just to put a PLASTIC non permanent storage shed in our BACKYARD!!! and shoot again, that darn permit almost cost 1/2 the total cost of the shed!!

but to do ALL that work which you know if they re did the inside it was most likely electrical and plumbing....i wonder if the village will do what they do here charge a fine to the homeowner...(in your case the bank) a daily fine until the proper permits are put into place.

keep us updated!! please..can't WAIT to hear more!
    8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

You may want to consult your own attorney, not the banks.......sounds like there is a very sticky issue, and I am sure the bank will try to stick you since the title never changed......save all your "paperwork" stating the confirmation, and do not talk to the banks atty, or the bank......they have made a very large mistake!!!!!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X