Help me plan strategic default in NJ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me plan strategic default in NJ?

My wife and I filed for CH7 on November 30th due to high credit card debt and the loss of my wife's job. We should have our discharge in hand by early April based on the date of our 341 meeting. The problem at that point will be what to do with our house. It's underwater, but not by much, so we had considered trying to hold on to it. We owe about $230K (30 year fixed @ 6.125%) and the house is worth somewhere between $195-215K. Things were going fine after we stopped paying the minimums on our cards-the extra money I had (I'm still employed thank God) plus my wife's unemployment was getting us by just fine. She has not had any luck finding work and it's not looking any better at this point. Now of course Congress is talking about cutting unemployment benefits completely at the end of 2012. If they don't pass an extension we won't be able to make our January 2013 mortgage payment. She was hoping to be able to ride out federal emergency unemployment compensation benefits until at least May or June when there (hopefully) will be teaching positions advertised for the 2013-2014 school year, but even then we would need unemployment to get us through until the end of August/beginning of September when she got her first paycheck.

Basically, we're hoping that if we need to we can stop paying in January, and have one of two things happen later in the year:

A: My wife gets a job starting in September 2013, we can both show income to our bank, enter mediation, and hopefully come to a deal

B: She doesn't get a job and we stay in our home as long as we possibly can in order to horde cash so that when we finally do have to leave we have an emergency fund and a large security deposit which we'll likely need because of the BK/foreclosure on our credit report.

Based on this, how should we proceed if federal EUC comes to an end on December 31st? One thing to note, our mortgage is held by a small local bank which likely does not have a lot of inventory to go through like the giant banks. Will that influence how long the process takes, or is it more of a logjam in the courts? I've heard that foreclosures are on the rise in NJ and the average is about 950 days because we're a judicial state. Is there anyway to know if we would have that long? Would we need a lawyer to tie it up in the courts for long? If so that makes me wonder if the cost would be worth it. Finally, what about property taxes-I know that once we're discharged we're no longer liable for the home, but can the town come after us for the taxes?

Diesel, so you did list your house and didn't confirm the mortgage, correct?

we left our house in nj and it's over 4 and 1/2 years and still nothing from the bank. remember nj, although a creditor friendly state, still is a judicial state, meaning your foreclosure must go via the court system. you can even fight it and stay longer, i know someone there that did that and she stayed over 5 years before she left. then the bank sued her for the deficiency, then she filed bk. i can't tell you for certain, on that what i have seen is it usually takes...well, let me put it this way, i don't know a person that it didn't at least take 2 years. however, i would check your sheriff's dept. web site and see how quickly they are moving in your county.

first you need to decide, provided you listed the mortgage on your bk, whether you really want to keep the house and if it's worth it for you. as far as your options. i don't want to be a downer, but, i know my son in law has a duel masters in special ed and couldn't get a job, they finally had to leave the state after trying for years to get a permanent position. i hope your wife will be luckier. the teaching market in both ny and nj have not be great the past 2-3 years, unfortunately.

getting back to your house situation. we rec'd a summons from chase, had 30 days to file an answer, never did and stayed for approx 8 months and saved money for our move and left. looking back we could have still been there today. although, and in light of the fact that just our oil and electric costs us more than our entire expenses including mortgage and taxes in florida. we opted to just leave. once we did, we never paid any taxes or insurance. actually nj man. insurance co., would not cover us any longer, we had to live in the premises to be covered. also, the bank will pay the taxes as they do not want to lose the property to a tax sale. i can only tell you of our experience. it was really difficult for us to decide to leave our home of over 30 years, but looking back, it was the best decision we ever made.

i'm sure you'll make the right decision. it's a big one. but once you make it, don't look back. best of luck!
    8/4/2008 MAKE SURE AND VISIT Tobee's Blogs! http://www.bkforum.com/blog.php?32727-tobee43 and all are welcome to bk forum's Florida State Questions and Answers on BK http://www.bkforum.com/group.php?groupid=9

Comment

You can apply for mods to drag it out.
      Some people out your way haven't paid in over three years. Had 3 mods, defaulted on all of them. They have M&T Bank. (never heard of them before)
      Still no guarantee, but the info might be useful.

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X