Will/can I be sued for damages?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will/can I be sued for damages?

Left our forclosed house 6 months ago and we told them we were out. But we left some stuff in there so apparently by Mich law they have to evict us in court which they did today. My wife went back to the house and discovered the entire basement must have flooded at some point. The house stunk terribly and all the carpet had been torn up and dehumidifiers were running. I'm guessing the sump pump must have failed but I'm not sure. I'm absolutely terrified I am going to be sued. Will they? Am I responsible for damage after I left? We left a month after the house sold at the Sheriifs sale last May. I feel sick. Finally we were getting back on our feet and now this. If the entire basement carpet is torn up the damage must be substantial.

Not a lawyer. YOU are NOT responsible. You notified them, you filed before damages (meaning you are bankrupted) and the house was sold. 'Let the buyer beware'. You said that dehumidifiers were there, so get your belonging, leave, and don't turn back. Someone else owns the place. You've been through enough worry. Get a good nights sleep over a Christmas 'hot-doddy', and forget it. 'Hub

EDIT: In this post your questions were thoroughly answered by one of our most knowledgeable members and Mod. Take two Valiums, two hot-toddys, and go to bed. You worry too much. If we all wake up on the 22nd, and World has not ended, have a good strong cup of coffee and proceed with a new start to come. http://www.bkforum.com/showthread.ph...Need-help-ASAP
    Last edited by AngelinaCatHub; 12-20-2012, 04:57 PM.
    If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

You are not responsible for the damage to the property since you did not cause it (willful and/or malicious destruction would be a different story). Lenders and/or new titled owners (due to foreclosure) have insurance for such things or chuck it up as a cost of doing business. Don't lose sleep over it.

Des.

Comment

Thanks Hub, I hope you're right. I've been through almost as much change as a peron can and finally I've relaxed. But I'm a worry wart so I'll stress out for quite awhile over this.

Comment

Thank you Des for chiming in. This poor soul reminds me of my Mother, who had to worry about something. My (many) responses to here where: "Mom, there are two kinds of problems. One is something you can do something about. HANDLE IT. The other is you can do NOTHING about, so, why worry? Time will fix it." She died a neurotic worried soul. Once asked "L***, you don't worry about anything do you? I said NO Mom, and gave here my above reasons. Her response was "Well someone has to do it?" I just smiled and said to her, it won't be me. LOL and Merry Christmas to all here and to our OP who worries too much. 'Hub
          If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Lol. Thanks everyone.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X