top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a legal way to purchase a new house if your house was in the bk yrs ago ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a legal way to purchase a new house if your house was in the bk yrs ago ?

My bankruptcy was discharged in 2008. I wanted to keep my house and worked really hard for a modification which I did recieve and was very greatful. I was given a mod that increased every year. I was happy and I have kept up thinking I could refinace when the payments would get too high. That brings us to now, I went to refinance and found my second mortgage which was discharged left a lien so I can not refinance. I talked to my lawyer and they explained I do not owe for the house, it is not on my credit. I have been on time for 3 years. Any way my question is I am planning on walking away because I can not afford this house. I love my home and I really wanted to keep it. I do not want to do anything illegal but I am in a bind, I have many pets so renting is not a choice. My credit is good, I could buy another house, but is that buy and bail, while my credit is good I would like to do that, but nothing illegal. I do not know what to do. A forum like this helped me so much before any suggestions?

Hi Terre and welcome!
    As long as you did not reaffirm your mortgage, you can walk away from it.
    Most here have reported that their mods did not require or equal a reaffirmation.
    But...What happened with the second mortgage in the bk? Was the house underwater? Were you in a 7 and you just stopped paying the second? Did you strip the lien in a 13?

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

It will 5 yrs. I stopped paying the second, they never contacted me and I just made the payments the mid asked for. I went to refinance and that's when I found the lien. I am under water. About 35000.00 when you include the second. They can not get anything so I guess no news was good news. I am in a divorce on top of the market. I want to down size. I can not keep up with the payments and eventhough I love my home it us really TOO much house for me. I was told by my lawyer that a short sale did not make any sense. I have improved my credit and have really limited my spending but I can not keep this up. I just want to leave but I want to buy not rent as I have pets and it is hard to find landlords that will allow all of them. Do you know if a house can be bought in my cercumstance?

Comment

I think this would be a good question for an attorney.

Comment

You have several options. You could attempt to settle with the second lienholder. You could try to qualify for a "second" home (vacation home), but that has many restrictions (typically needs to be 50+ miles away, large downpayment, etc). You could attempt a short sale (but that will cause a delay in getting a new home since you must have 2-3 years from that short sale for a new government backed loan).

Your other option is to actually downsize and deal with the fact that the pets could be a problem. You could seek out private landlords and offer large (non-refundable) pet deposits and redecoration deposits/fees.
          Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
          Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X