Collections 5 Years After Discharge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Collections 5 Years After Discharge?

Hi! About 30 days ago I received a collection letter and started getting phone calls from a CA re a very old debt that may have been included in my bankruptcy. I can't find my papers and I assume I can get the pertinent info from the court clerk? Any advice as to procedure? I don't even remember a debt to this company but I do remember the time share, which I haven't owned for 10-15 years. I missed my 30 day response window to the CA so they are getting aggressive. Steve

Yes, you can go to the court clerk to get a copies of documents filed in your case. You could also register with pacer.gov which is the court's electronic filing system and download documents from there.

If you filed Chap 7 and your case was a no asset case, all dischargeable pre-petition debt would be discharged even if it isn't listed on your petition.
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

That's what I thought but I've relied on my thinking in the past and gotten it wrong. So I would get the discharge portion and send it to the agency for proof?
      Thank you so much!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X