This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting Married

So I plan on filing for chapter 7 on October 1st. I'm currently playing the waiting game for my income to drop back below median.
    My fiancé and I plan on eloping. He wants to get married October 5th.
    He makes significantly more than median and if we were married I wouldn't qualify. Also, he owns a house and a nice car and has excellent credit and has no need to file.
    Do I need to wait for my 341 or discharge prior to getting married? Or can I get married as soon as I file?

You need to ask your attorney. Techincally, it shouldn't matter, but that doesn't mean a trustee won't make it an issue. I would wait at least until after the 341 rather than risk an objection based on totality of circumstances.
    LadyInTheRed is in the black!
    Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
    $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

What if you are filing a Ch. 13? Mind you, I haven't filed yet. But... I am engaged, and my fiancee lives overseas... will be moving here in September. Should I file first, then get married or? Sigh. Thanks in advance!

Comment

zizzled , it is different in a Chap 13 and whether to file before or after marriage depends on how marriage will effect your disposable income. Please start a new thread and provide some more details on what your financial situation is now in comparison to what it will be after you are married.
        LadyInTheRed is in the black!
        Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
        $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X