Question about paying credit cards before filing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about paying credit cards before filing

Please help me understand this apparent contradiction. (1) paying the minimum due on credit cards helps show that credit cards weren't fraudulently used, i.e. with no intent to pay. At the same time, (2) I hear you shouldn't pay your credit cards once you decide to file because the debt likely will be discharged and you need to save money to pay an attorney, etc.

Please help me understand this.

Thank you.

the number one priority is to feed yourself, house yourself and take care of essentials ie food, transportation etc. Being able to pay your lawyer falls into this. When you file you will need to have almost no cash to your name. So you need to be planning ahead to see how long you can last and hopefully your file date and the date you run out of cash will coincide pretty close. *(mine haven't and i'm eating ramen for the next month). paying unsecured debt is ok to do if you know you're going to be several months out before filing, but honestly once you've made that decision, just stop paying them and start ignoring phone calls. When I took my means test I was 200 over and had to wait another month. I really wish I had had the last 1500 I spent towards my credit cards. You're going to make tactical mistakes and there are going to be "i wish I had done that differently" . Try not to over think it. Good luck

Comment

Unless you went on a big spending spree or took huge cash advances on your cards, I wouldn't worry about fraud.
      LadyInTheRed is in the black!
      Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
      $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

Extremely helpful. Thank you.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X