• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Disposable Income" Determination Disregards Actual Projected Income

Permalink:

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

George W. Bush memorably opined at the BAPCPA signing ceremony that "under the new law, Americans who have the ability to pay will be required to pay back at least a portion of their debts." Well, Mr. President, the courts are divided on the accuracy of your conclusion.

In In re Rotunda, the US Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of New York, overruled the Chapter 13 trustee's objection and confirmed a Chapter 13 plan based on CMI as determined by Form B22C, and not on the debtor's actual disposable income provided on the bankruptcy schedules.

The debtor's Amended Chapter 13 plan proposed to pay $800.00 for the first 4 months and $1200.00 per month for the remaining 56 months of their plan. The trustee objected claiming that the plan failed to provide all of the Debtor's "disposable income" to the payment of unsecured creditors pursuant to section 1325 (b)(1)(B).

The debtor's monthly income as provided on Form B22C was $5674.02, annualized at the rate of $68,088.00 which is over the applicable median income. Accordingly, the debtor's income was subject to the BAPCPA means test. After applying the IRS deductions and additional allowed expense deductions, the debtor's monthly "disposable income" under section 1325 (b)(2) was $157.77.

Schedules I & J stand in sharp relief to the disposable income under section 1325(b)(2). Schedules I & J provided a monthly net surplus of $3299.03. The schedules, unlike Form B22C, included the debtor's social security income. The Trustee argued that the court ought to examine Schedules I & J to determine the amount of income "projected" to be available for distribution to the unsecured creditors. The Court disagreed.

The issue boils down to whether a debtor's "projected disposable monthly income," which must be devoted to a Chapter 13 plan, is the same thing as the "disposable income" calculated based on the current monthly income.

The court held that CMI under Form B22C controls the Chapter 13 plan payments to be made to unsecured creditors. The Court parsed the statutory language and determined that "instead of using a figure based on income and expenses that existed at the time the debtor completed his/her schedules...Congress opted to use an average of a debtor's income over the six months prepetition in calculating CMI..." The court went to say that CMI, which forms the bases for calculating "disposable income" as provided in section 1325(b)(2) is defined as "the average monthly income from all sources that the debtor receives without regard to whether such income is taxable, derived during the six month period" prior to filing. BAPCPA expressly excludes social security benefits from CMI.

Section 1325(b)(1)(B) references "projected disposable income" and the BAPCPA amendments define "disposable income." The court reasoned that section 1325(b)(2) "goes on to explain what was being projected, namely, CMI received by the debtor...to the extent reasonably necessary to be expended...." The court does not agree that the projected disposable income must refer to the surplus on Schedules I & J. The court concluded that "projecting disposable income based on an average of six months' income after certain deductions and payment on secured and priority claims is no less realistic than the figures in Schedules I & J for proposing a feasible plan."

In a final parting shot, the court acknowledged that the discretion to review "the reasonableness of a debtor's expenses in calculating disposable has been curtailed, in some instances, by the new provisions that allow, whether or not intentionally, a debtor to propose a plan which provides zero payments to unsecured creditors despite having the financial wherewithal to make some payments to them." The court goes on to say that if this was not Congress' intent, then it is up Congress to resolve the situation.

There has got to be a national ruling made on this one or it will come up again and again.
    Last edited by anonymuse; 09-21-2006, 05:18 AM.
    *** THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE--ONLY A LAWYER CAN PROVIDE THAT. ***

My posts represent hours of research on and off the web, these forums, my experience, and my opinions.

Originally posted by anonymuse View Post
    http://blog.startfreshtoday.com/

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

There has got to be a national ruling made on this one or it will come up again and again.
    This is exactly the basis for one of our trustee's objections to our Ch 13 plan - the final figures on our Schedules I and J don't match because our legitimate family expenses are well above the median IRS figures. On October 5 we are sitting down with our lawyer, trustee, and our local bankruptcy judge in a pre-trial hearing to thrash this out. If we can't reach a conclusion, we could easily end up forced to be one of the court cases that sets precedent in this area. This means my own worst bk nightmare could well come true - we will end up in court defending our plan.

Please, everyone, send positive thoughts and prayers our way for a successful conclusion on Oct 5 so we don't have to go to trial to ask a bk judge to rule and force a conclusion one way or the other. TIA!
    I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
    06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
    07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
    10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
    01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
    09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
    06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
    08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
    Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

Originally posted by lrprn View Post
      This is exactly the basis for one of our trustee's objections to our Ch 13 plan - the final figures on our Schedules I and J don't match because our legitimate family expenses are well above the median IRS figures. On October 5 we are sitting down with our lawyer, trustee, and our local bankruptcy judge in a pre-trial hearing to thrash this out. If we can't reach a conclusion, we could easily end up forced to be one of the court cases that sets precedent in this area. This means my own worst bk nightmare could well come true - we will end up in court defending our plan.

Please, everyone, send positive thoughts and prayers our way for a successful conclusion on Oct 5 so we don't have to go to trial to ask a bk judge to rule and force a conclusion one way or the other. TIA!
      I'll be sending my wishes your way!

My posts represent hours of research on and off the web, these forums, my experience, and my opinions.

Comment

We're with you too, Lrprn!!

This is all too stressful. This filing business.

We were below the Median so our Means Test stopped on Line 7 or whatever.

I'm sure, if the Trustee wants to, he/she can nit pick some of our "miscellaneous" expenses, or even some of our category expenses and require us to pay something for 3 years.

That's been a worry in the back of my mind going in. But we can't go back.
        Filed Ch 7 - 09/06
        Discharged - 12/2006
        Officially Declared No Asset - 03/2007
        Closed - 04/2007

I am not an attorney. My comments are based on personal experience and research. Always consult an attorney in your area to address concerns related to your particular situation.

Another good thing about being poor is that when you are seventy your children will not have declared you legally insane in order to gain control of your estate. - Woody Allen...

Comment

Good Luck, sounds like the same plan I'm in. The Median Test shows I have no disposable income, my lawyer proposes I pay back $250 a month. My real life budget shows I have $800. I'm going to court next week before the judge as the trustee does not approve the $250. Oh its all so crazy, but I like this post, I'm going to bring it with me to the judge!

Catchmeifyoucan
          July 2006: Filed Ch13 :blink:
          Oct 2006: Converted to Ch7 :clapping:
          Jan 2007: DISCHARGED :clapping:
          Nov 2007: CLOSED :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

Originally posted by CATCHMEIFYOUCAN View Post
            Good Luck, sounds like the same plan I'm in. The Median Test shows I have no disposable income, my lawyer proposes I pay back $250 a month. My real life budget shows I have $800. I'm going to court next week before the judge as the trustee does not approve the $250. Oh its all so crazy, but I like this post, I'm going to bring it with me to the judge!

Catchmeifyoucan
            You can print a clean copy of the article from here:

Comment

My question is: Do you include your second mortgage payment in the means test calculation, and on the disposable income calculation (Schedule J), if you are trying to remove it?
              I have my first for 192K, my second for 47K, and 25K credit cards. My income is slightly above the average. I am trying to file chapter 13 and remove my second, since the value of my house is around 180K. I pay $515/month for my second mortgage, and around $500/month for credit cards. But all at the expense of feeding 5 people with $600/month.
              According to the guidelines I am allowed $1632/month for food, clothes, etc. I would like to file chapter 13 only if my disposable income is no more than $300/month.
              I am not sure that I understand completely the the means test, and the disposable income calculation and process.
              Which one must use the last 6 months, and which one must use current numbers.
              What should I do?

Please advice me.

Comment

Originally posted by john_smith View Post
                My question is: Do you include your second mortgage payment in the means test calculation, and on the disposable income calculation (Schedule J), if you are trying to remove it?
                I have my first for 192K, my second for 47K, and 25K credit cards. My income is slightly above the average. I am trying to file chapter 13 and remove my second, since the value of my house is around 180K. I pay $515/month for my second mortgage, and around $500/month for credit cards. But all at the expense of feeding 5 people with $600/month.
                According to the guidelines I am allowed $1632/month for food, clothes, etc. I would like to file chapter 13 only if my disposable income is no more than $300/month.
                I am not sure that I understand completely the the means test, and the disposable income calculation and process.
                Which one must use the last 6 months, and which one must use current numbers.
                What should I do?

Please advice me.
                sounds like your trying to strip your 2nd. The attorney I consulted said about the same said you are required to pay the amount of your current payment on your 2nd into your Ch 13 account for 5 years
                Stopped Paying CC's 2/2009. Retained Attorney 1/10/2010 Filed 1/23/2010. Discharged 5/19/10 $187K CC, $240K 2nd,$417K 1st, No asset Ch-7

Comment

after all ive read about ch 13 plans, i still dont completely understand it... it appears that the victim would be just as broke as before filing.... for a trustee to put a person in a 13 who passes the means test is just plain hard-hearted in my opinion.. there seems to be more luck than science involved...
                  "it looks like i picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue"! [McKroskey, airplane]

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X