Prefiling concerns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prefiling concerns

For those who have already filed, or just began the process. I am looking to file soon, I have just recently decided on a lawyer. From our discussion lawyers think I will qualify for ch.7. I am wondering from experience is there anything that you wish you knew prior to filing? Anything you would have done differently to plan for filing? What if any advice would you give someone who is going to file?

Hi special111, I am no attorney but from experience I say this. First stop using any and all credit cards and any credit at all. You may not want to get a new car, an old used may be acceptable so close to filing your petition. Do not obtain any loans even from a 401k are even a hardship dishcharge, do not give away any monies are accept any monies. Do not transfer any properties of any kind. Find your tax returns from the last 4 years at least. Find your pay-stubs from at least the last 6 months. Gather all of your statements from all of the creditors, medical that you have and turn them into your attorney. I would suggest to go online and transfer all of your statements to "mail" instead of "online" because once they recieve the automatic stay sometimes they lock you out and you will not be able to do anything. You can submit pay day loans, parking tickets, cable/utilities bills.

These are just a few and I do hope the others chime in with their experience as well. I hope this helps you.
    Last edited by lukesky; 10-12-2016, 04:52 AM.

Comment

Hi, Lukesky is right. Don’t transfer any money or property prior to bankruptcy filing. Don’t also pay creditors and don’t use credit cards completely. As an alternative, you can use debit cards to pay for transportation, house and food. Carefully think about your actions before doing so. Also, ask about a free case evaluation for Chapter 7 bankruptcy documentation needed at [link removed by moderator] I hope that helps!
      Last edited by LadyInTheRed; 10-14-2016, 08:20 AM.

Comment

Lindahill, your participation is welcome, but if you want to advertise a business, please contact our administrator, Laz.
        LadyInTheRed is in the black!
        Filed Chap 13 April 2010. Discharged May 2015.
        $143,000 in debt discharged for $36,500, including attorneys fees. Money well spent!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X