Pacer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pacer

My bankruptcy is finally showing up on Pacer. I’m scheduled for the meeting soon. My question is concerning pacer. How do I see the status of the creditors? Like have they dismissed me or what?

It depends on which chapter of bankruptcy you are filing. If you filed a "no-asset" Chapter 7, then it's not worth looking at the creditors.

If you filed a Chapter 13, it "could" be interesting to look, but please don't become a PACER-holic. You could easily run up a large bill as they charge for just about every query and every "page" that you view.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

It was chapter 7, no asset.

Comment

If that's the case, there's really no reason to look at the creditor claims. The real underlying reason is that most creditors will notl file a claim in a no-asset Chapter 7. It's just simply a waste of time.
        Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Ok, thanks. This whole process has had us so stressed.

Comment

After your 341 Meeting you can and should be able to relax. Yes, bankruptcy is a complex procedural legal process. If your attorney informed you that you will or have no issues, then they don't expect anything.

Many debtors get anxious and nervous about the 341 Meeting of Creditors. It sounds like something out of a horror movie. But, and as many times as others on BKForum will tell you, creditors hardly ever show up to that meeting despite being the titular reason for the meeting! As most will say, it was only five minutes, I totally misunderstood the purpose, no creditors showed up, and/or I worried about nothing.

That's the case in over 95% of the Chapter 7s.

Comment

You have eased my mind some. Thank you so much. Just curious. What happens if a creditor does show up?

Comment

Nothing really. In most cases the only creditor that shows up "may" be a local credit union or small local bank. They typically want to see/examine the car and determine your intentions on whether you're reaffirm or are going to surrender. Major banks and lenders rarely (if ever) show up at these. It's typically just you, the Chapter 7 Trustee and your attorney.

In some really strange cases, some former business partners or disgruntled family members may show up to try to claim all sorts of things... but that's only if they are creditors and you listed them on the schedules. This is because these more personal relationships are about people that now know that you will never have to legally pay them back. That's upsetting for some, but despite their interference... errr... complaining about the discharge, the debt is still discharged.

Comment

Awesome. Thank you so much. I’ve been monitoring my credit report and see where some of the credit cards say account closed by consumer. I’m assuming that’s where I missed payments and nothing is final yet. One that really had me worried was Heights Finance. They bothered me the most with calls and stuff. I guess that’s why I’m wondering if they would show up. It was also an unsecured loan, so I’m assuming they can’t take anything. The loan wasn’t much anyway. One odd thing I noticed on my credit report is my vehicle says Derogatory. We are keeping the cars and have never missed a payment on them and we’ve always been on time. Maybe it’s where it’s being reaffirmed? This is all new to me and will be a last. Hopefully we will be better with saving and spending from now on and not get caught up in the credit card gimmicks. We definitely spent above our means, but in order to be old and wise we must first be young and stupid.

Comment

The "real" (institutional) creditors know the game and know that their debt will be discharged; that's why they don't waste their time showing up at a 341 Meeting. I wouldn't worry about Heights unless it's one of those "consumer" loans where they make you pledge your furniture and household goods. If that's the case, your attorney would merely file a motion to get rid of their lien on your personal items.

The fact that you filed the bankruptcy will have everything marked with a derogatory indicator because the balance will be reduce to $0, the payment history erased, and the comment listed as "Included In Bankruptcy" (IIB) or some other indicator that it was discharged in a bankruptcy. I do not recommend reaffirming a vehicle unless a.) your bank demands it, and b.) you're not severely underwater. Most large banks don't demand reaffirmations so you're able to "ride-through" by continuing to make on-time payments.

Comment

The meeting went really well. The trustee was super friendly.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X