No announcement yet.

Filing a BK Ch.#13 - Primary Banking is NFCU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Again, thanks for all your help and feedback.

I didn't hear back on whether I wouldn't be able to purchase another vehicle if the time came to replace the vehicle I have?

Comment

Originally posted by sylviag1973 View Post
      Again, thanks for all your help and feedback.

I didn't hear back on whether I wouldn't be able to purchase another vehicle if the time came to replace the vehicle I have?
      When I saw you had a new(ish) car (the 2019 Hyundai) I didn't respond further as your car should easily make 5-more years (and then some). When I filed my Chapter 13 I had a 14 year old car; it made it to the 17 year mark before dying; my current new(er) car is now 15 years old and going strong (probably good for at least another 10 years), so you never know, but a two year old Hyundai should not be an issue.

With the above said, even with crappy credit, and even when heading into a Chapter 13, it is preferable to buy before you file then after. I have heard anecdotally some Trustees keep a list of local dealerships which are very knowledgeable and friendly to those about to file, and make the process pretty easy. As I understand this process, unlike your credit card debt, a car is "secured" debt and will be paid for in full during the term of a Chapter 13. The only exception to this rule is if a debtor enters bankruptcy with a very high interest loan, the car itself gets paid for, but not all of the originally scheduled interest as the APR is "Crammed Down".
      Latent car nut.

Comment

shipo

Ohhh okay.. I feel much better now..

I was freaking out there for a minute. Thanks for that input.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X