Moving out of District

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving out of District

What happens if you move out of the district you filed in?

It shouldn't matter at all, especially if you're post-confirmation in a Chapter 13 or post-341 meeting in a Chapter 7.

If you're in a Chapter 13, you would just continue to make your payments to your Chapter 13 Trustee. You do need to update the Trustee and the Court with your change of address. Most of the Chapter 13 Trustees have a form to complete when you move. (Similarly they may even have a form or notice when changing jobs.)

In the end, so long as you update the court/Trustee with your new address, nothing changes. Many people do this. I moved (changed district, but same State), during my Chapter 13. I still reported to the original Chapter 13 Trustee and my case was still in the original district.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

What about moving out of state? Ch 13 plan confirmed.

Comment

Originally posted by D19S59J View Post
        What about moving out of state? Ch 13 plan confirmed.
        Many people have moved outside their district and even outside their State during an active Chapter 13. So long as you update the court and Trustee with your new mailing address, it's perfectly normal and happens often. Your case would just remain under the jurisdiction of the original court. You will interact with your original Chapter 13 Trustee. Just keep up with your case and make sure you continue to pay. It's important that you update your address with both the court and the Trustee because you want any notices!

I also forgot to mention another important person to update. Don't forget to update your attorney so that they can contact you should the need arise. In fact, contact your attorney first and they should be able to file the requisite forms and notify the court of the change of address. Your attorney could be an important resource for a change of address since the court's local rules may require a special form (my district did have a special form).

Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X