Who have you mentioned this board to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who have you mentioned this board to?

Just out of curiosity who have you mentioned this board to (lawyer, paralegal, trustee, credit education service) and what was their reaction to it?

My paralegal just rolled her eyes and said "be careful".

(On a side note, I often wonder who comes to this board and lurks, such as trustees.)
    *** THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE--ONLY A LAWYER CAN PROVIDE THAT. ***

My posts represent hours of research on and off the web, these forums, my experience, and my opinions.

Nooooooo One !
    July 2006: Filed Ch13 :blink:
    Oct 2006: Converted to Ch7 :clapping:
    Jan 2007: DISCHARGED :clapping:
    Nov 2007: CLOSED :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

Me too. Didn't tell anyone in the legal field or credit field. LOL....I just let them think I'm intelligent and I did my own due diligence. Besides, we have enough unwanted trolls here and we sure as heck don't need these types of trolls....LOL!
      Bankruptcy History:
      Chapter 7 filed - 10/12/2005 - Asset
      Discharged - 02/16/2006
      Case Closed - 11/08/2007

A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining and wants it back the minute it begins to rain ~ Mark Twain

All suggestions are based on personal experience and research and SHOULD NOT be construed as legal advice as I am NOT an attorney. Always consult with competent counsel in your area with regards to your particular situation.

Comment

A few friends and some really close relatives that we've told about filing BK.

We are very thrilled to have learned all the info we have from this site. Now we have friends who are getting ready to file Ch 13 and I've told my GF she should come here and learn too.
        Filed Ch 7 - 09/06
        Discharged - 12/2006
        Officially Declared No Asset - 03/2007
        Closed - 04/2007

I am not an attorney. My comments are based on personal experience and research. Always consult an attorney in your area to address concerns related to your particular situation.

Another good thing about being poor is that when you are seventy your children will not have declared you legally insane in order to gain control of your estate. - Woody Allen...

Comment

I havent told anyone in the legal field about this site. The trusteee asked me if anyone had helped or given me advice and I told him "Just the Nolo book".

I did tell a good friend about this site yesterday. She called crying and all upset because of the bills they are facing. They owe rent for September and October will soon be due. If they dont have September's paid by 10/5 then they could be evicted. They are also a couple months behind on their van payment, they are looking to have that repoed real soon. I told her that my husband and I had to file BK and could have done it without this site. Her and her husband are now contemplating BK.

I wonder, if they did decide, would they be able to keep their van?

SHirley

Comment

Originally posted by confusedinVA View Post
            I did tell a good friend about this site yesterday. She called crying and all upset because of the bills they are facing. They owe rent for September and October will soon be due. If they dont have September's paid by 10/5 then they could be evicted. They are also a couple months behind on their van payment, they are looking to have that repoed real soon. I told her that my husband and I had to file BK and could have done it without this site. Her and her husband are now contemplating BK.

I wonder, if they did decide, would they be able to keep their van?

SHirley
            This one of the things I learned the hard way too. I was at a point where I was late on my rent, my utilities, my child care, but not on the credit card bills. I think we are all so fearful of paying more interest & the hounders calling that we lose persepective that we "need" to pay the basics first & take care of our basic needs & especially our childrens's. If after the we pay the necessities to live, and we cannot pay the credit cards, we need to realize we have a big problem & seek counsel. Unless it's just a temporary income set back, the problem won't go away & will continue to compound. It took me 3 months of paying late fees & bouncing checks & utimately borrowing money from my retired parents to not get evicted (yes I got the nasty gram notice from my apartment complex management) for the 1st time in 23 years to realize I had a problem & then I seriousely started thinking about BKR.

The best advise at this point to give your friends is to pay their needs & necessities first!!! Then to definately seek some legal counsel!!
            Last edited by chmastal; 09-22-2006, 03:01 AM. Reason: verbage
            We can plan our lives but we can never plan the outcome.

Comment

I think I mentioned it in passing to my attorney...

...he didn't mind...but no one else.....I try not to tell anything that I don't want published in the media.....old school order from mom....which I've always followed, except in once instance.
              Filed Oct 2005discharged February 2007,Shapeless in the fire's glow, tell me if you think you know,
              Who it was we were below, where we've been and where we go

Comment

I get a good share of attorneys have been on here, but would never tell their clients they know about it.

My posts represent hours of research on and off the web, these forums, my experience, and my opinions.

Comment

most trustees are old farts, wiht families and wives.

They could care less when they go home. During work - they're busy and most barely know anything about the web. Govt workers i've found aren't that tech savvy. Their IT depts are.

I used to field tech support calls from govt workers. Good lord.

r
                  Filed: 05/04/06 (los angeles)
                  341: 06/05/06
                  Discharged: 8/29/06
                  Closed: 9/08/06

Comment

We don't want people to generalize about us being deadbeat BKers trying to beat the system so we probably shouldn't generalize about what all trustees are supposedly like either.

Comment

In fact, while I was a government worker (now retired), I had plenty of time to learn all about the internet. That's probably what got me into trouble in the first place, because I found too many things to buy. Just because I'm not "tech-savvy" and rely on others to fix things when they break down does not mean that I don't know how to use computers.
                      Now to this thread:
                      I was quite unsure about who reads this board, or even who is moderating it. I'm the worlds biggest cynic and fully expected this board to be run by an assortment of trustees and lawyers hired by banks and credit card companies. I didn't use my usual e-mail address, because it's my full name @ my ISP. But then I considered worst case scenario and decided, since nobody is allowed to throw me in jail and have me executed, I'll take my chances.
                      Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by EmmaT View Post
                        I was quite unsure about who reads this board, or even who is moderating it. I'm the worlds biggest cynic and fully expected this board to be run by an assortment of trustees and lawyers hired by banks and credit card companies. I didn't use my usual e-mail address, because it's my full name @ my ISP. But then I considered worst case scenario and decided, since nobody is allowed to throw me in jail and have me executed, I'll take my chances.
                        Cheers!
                        Emma, you'll be happy to know that this board's members and moderators are just regular bk filers just like yourself. Our seven moderators and board administrator are very knowledgeable because we've researched our bankruptcies extensively and continue to keep up on the case law changes through bk lawyer blogs, legal websites, etc. We do have one bk lawyer who posts occasionally (Interlaw), but if there are other bk lawyers or trustees here, they stay in the shadows as lurkers only.

Obviously since this is an open internet forum that anyone can access, keeping your personal identifying information off the board and using sensible caution about what you decide to post is always a good idea. Most of our posters tend to stay relatively anonymous and post in general terms about their personal situations. Since this is an open forum with posts saved on for years, anything posted here is certainly discoverable in a court of law.

Hope you are finding your time here worthwhile. Ask any questions you want or just vent whenever you need to - that's why we're here!
                        I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
                        06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
                        07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
                        10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
                        01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
                        09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
                        06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
                        08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
                        Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

Thanks lrprn, that makes me feel a lot better. I get a lot of indirect emotional support from this board, mostly by seeing that I share this boat with other people, and we are all paddling as fast as we can to stay afloat.

Comment

Originally posted by razorguns View Post
                            most trustees are old farts, wiht families and wives.

r
                            One of our Ch 7 Trustees here is a young, vivacious, unmarried WOMAN. Very saavy. She's a big fish in a little pond and climbing fast. Besides her Trustee duties, she has a VERY active BK practice.

I'd bet, if she's of the mind to, she lurks/reads this Forum.
                            Filed Ch 7 - 09/06
                            Discharged - 12/2006
                            Officially Declared No Asset - 03/2007
                            Closed - 04/2007

I am not an attorney. My comments are based on personal experience and research. Always consult an attorney in your area to address concerns related to your particular situation.

Another good thing about being poor is that when you are seventy your children will not have declared you legally insane in order to gain control of your estate. - Woody Allen...

Comment

Originally posted by EmmaT View Post
                              In fact, while I was a government worker (now retired), I had plenty of time to learn all about the internet. That's probably what got me into trouble in the first place, because I found too many things to buy. Just because I'm not "tech-savvy" and rely on others to fix things when they break down does not mean that I don't know how to use computers.
                              Now to this thread:
                              Cheers!
                              I'm one of the moderators going through the process like the rest of you. (You're not alone, I signed up with a separate address since my primary address has my full name in it and is only given to very few people to avoid spam going to that account.) I have a graduate degree in something totally unrelated to law or business. I haven't filed yet, but have learned a wealth of information from reading books, this forum, and the web.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X