Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will Government Shutdown Affect Bankruptcy Courts?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will Government Shutdown Affect Bankruptcy Courts?

It appears that the date by which the federal court system will run out of money (b/c of the shutdown) keeps getting extended (2/1/19 is the latest date I've read about). How do the BK Courts operate and function when the $$ runs out from fees and other sources that don't involve appropriations? Will you still be able to file BK? Will confirmations, discharges and other actions still take place?
    Filed Ch 13 November 2013, discharged March 2019

It seems to vary by region. Mine currently says Jan 31st, and just yesterday said the 25th.

As for your other questions, I have no idea but I would guess shutdown means shutdown, and that all their activities would cease. Presumably the different branches of the federal courts are prioritized, and if so bankruptcy would probably be pretty low on the list.

Comment

I asked my attorney a year ago when there was the possibility of a shutdown then. He really didn’t know the answer to that. Discharges, confirmations, Adversarial proceedings, and anything else requiring a judge would be impacted. The automatic stay would not. If you already had your 341 then the 60 / 30 days will continue to run, from what I know of the process.

I hope they figure something out. This is hurting a lot of people and not just in the Bk world.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X