idea: crowd sourcing liberation of PACER BK docs via RECAP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

idea: crowd sourcing liberation of PACER BK docs via RECAP

RECAP is a fantastic resource to research bankruptcy filings and procedures. It works via a browser extension that scrapes the PACER entries that the user is viewing and uploads them to RECAP and internet archive. This works great however it leaves a lot of missing documents from a docket.

Since we are coming to the end of a the PACER quarter, you may have not used up your free $30 quarter credits. Since they dont rollover, why not put them to good use and expand RECAP database.

The idea would be to strategically locate cases that help illustrate bankruptcy procedures and filings. For example, how does one successfully handle an adversarial case. By finding those cases, we can collectively open source it for the benefit of all.

To participate, simply post a link to the RECAP document you want in this thread. Then others who want to participate can purchase it (for free using their soon to expire credits).

This way we can build up a very potent library of documents for researching litigation or defense in a bk case.

Privacy Alert! Word of caution: if you do not want your own case public on RECAP uninstall/disable the extension when you browser PACER on your case. (though this page appears to say they have safe guards for this...but safest is to not have it installed for what you dont want exposed)
    Last edited by bornfree2; 03-23-2022, 08:52 AM.

Because bankruptcy law apply local laws as well, Florida caselaw will likely not help someone in a different State, say Texas, and a different Federal Court of Appeals (11th versus 5th). Even within the 11th, we get different decisions based on Georgia, Alabama, or Florida underlying State law.

Yes, it's nice for skimming, but I would never try to use things from another district. Even within a State with multiple bankruptcy (district) courts, the local rules could be different.

I think that being able to do legal research outside the traditional pay-for-use services (Westlaw, Lexis) is getting better, but is absolutely no where even close. I can tell you from my use of Westlaw that it will actually tell me if any case has been cited, whether it's been distinguished, is old law, disagreed upon, or other negative treatment. Simply not available with the free services.

Bankruptcy caselaw is actually in the opinions and the opinions are always free in PACER. But heed the warning that an opinion in one district is not binding upon another. It could be influential but not the "law" in another jurisdiction. This is where even attorneys get themself into a bind.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion and the praise, bornfree2. I'm the director of Free Law project and saw this come up via a Google Alert I have for folks talking about RECAP.

We've actually tried the kind of end-of-quarter thing you're describing the past, but it was always hard to get good momentum going. Still, every bit helps. The other thing we want to do is a "pray and pay" project, where we let people "pray" for a document, and then other people "pay" for those documents based on whatever has the most prayers. It's an idea, but it'd cost money to build and we haven't found time to do so.

Anyhow, thanks again for the kind words and your help!

justbroke, we're slowly rolling out more and more features like the ones you're used to in WL. For example, check out our latest summarization feature:

Our search engine also lets you search by particular jurisdictions, which can help too. But yes, it's a long road!

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by flp View Post
        Thanks for the suggestion and the praise, bornfree2. I'm the director of Free Law project and saw this come up via a Google Alert I have for folks talking about RECAP.
        Mike
        Hey Mike! Big fan here! Thank you for pioneering and equalizing access to justice and public documents.

I have dropped a fair amount of tips on using RECAP in the Pro Se section. Its been invaluable in my education in bankruptcy

For others, you can get a further sense of the great work going on at Free Law project in these two informative youtube videos

In this episode with Mike Lissner, we talk about the pending PACER lawsuit, monopolies in law, and what the Free Law Project is. We also talk with Mike about...

Panelists:Adam ZieglerMike LissnerMargaret HaganNikki ZeichnerJonathan PyleModerator: Jason TasheaOver the last several years, there has been a dramatic rise...
        Last edited by bornfree2; 03-24-2022, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Thanks bornfree2, I love it and we appreciate it!

justbroke I got your DM, but don't seem to have authorization to actually reply. Mind moving to email? I'm at mike-at-free-dot-law?

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X