Had another call with an attorney

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had another call with an attorney

Well, it looks like I really am pretty screwed. Today's consult lawyer said the same, Even with the debt I have, I make too much money for a 7. although this one said my 13 payments would be 4 times what the first one said. He also said that buying a car now doesn't change anything it will just be added to whatever ch13 payment they come up with - how is that possible? I am so afraid of ch13 & not having enough money to love at all, at the end of it I'll be 62 years old & will have nothing at all for retirement, I know not anyone's fault except my own, but why bother to try to fix this if it won't be any better. I'm just done I guess.

The typical advice is to interview at least 5 attorneys before you choose one. I filed just before my 58th birthday after interviewing several candidate attorneys and picked the one I felt most comfortable with; she was reticent to predict what my monthly would be until we went through all of the evaluations and paperwork. In the end my monthly turned out to be just over half the monthly prediction from the next least expensive attorney.

Note, the above sentence is awkward, but I think you get the idea.
    Latent car nut.

Comment

Thanks, I've got 2 more this week to talk to. I just needed talking off the ledge after this guy today. His estimated payments were 4x the first guy, needed $900 up front - I'm just amazed at how different it can be from one attorney to the next. Not giving up yet

Comment

Originally posted by Chris66 View Post
        Thanks, I've got 2 more this week to talk to. I just needed talking off the ledge after this guy today. His estimated payments were 4x the first guy, needed $900 up front - I'm just amazed at how different it can be from one attorney to the next. Not giving up yet
        It is amazing different recommendations can be. We found a well experienced attorney from the only friend I could talk to about BK and she had gone through BK herself. The first attorney we saw tried to get us into a debt consolidation and said we wouldn't qualify for Chapter 13. As I learned more I think he would have just made more $$ off of us if he billed us to call the creditors. Can you imagine if he billed for the time on hold with creditors?
        I am not an expert. I just share my experiences in the Wonderful Wacky World of Chapter 13! Filed 3-30-18 Confirmed 7-11-18 Discharged 6-8-22

Comment

Just don’t file then, don’t pay!! Nothing they can do if you don’t pay!

Originally posted by Chris66 View Post
          Well, it looks like I really am pretty screwed. Today's consult lawyer said the same, Even with the debt I have, I make too much money for a 7. although this one said my 13 payments would be 4 times what the first one said. He also said that buying a car now doesn't change anything it will just be added to whatever ch13 payment they come up with - how is that possible? I am so afraid of ch13 & not having enough money to love at all, at the end of it I'll be 62 years old & will have nothing at all for retirement, I know not anyone's fault except my own, but why bother to try to fix this if it won't be any better. I'm just done I guess.
          Last edited by shipo; 02-22-2023, 04:48 AM. Reason: Correct the quote tagging

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X