Interest Rate In Georgia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interest Rate In Georgia

Is there a limit on how much interest rate a private creditor/ small business can charge on unpaid balance/ debt in Georgia?

Just my thought, I would hope that any lender had some sort of signed installment agreements which listed the interest rate, default, fees, schedule of payments, maturity, security and other things. I don't know of any creditors, except maybe insider creditors, that don't have a written agreement.

A quick search shows that in Georgia, a creditor can charge up to 7% if not specified in the contract (agreement). But there are other limits and you must really look to the law. The law, OCGA 7-4-2, reads that anything else must be in a written agreement.

Consumers should be aware that maximum interest rates allowed under the law may be significantly higher than what is actually being charged in the market.

O.C.G.A. § 7-4-2 (Lexis Advance through the 2022 Regular Session of the General Assembly)
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X