Life in Chapter 13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Life in Chapter 13

I’m looking into Ch. 13 in Virginia. Currently I’m in the process talking to lawyers during their free consultation to get an idea where I stand and if I think the lawyer is trustworthy. In any case, what should I be asking during these consultations? I can always come up with questions, but I’m looking for some that have gone through the process and realized things they should have asked but did not.

My other question is what is living in bankruptcy like. My main focus is the my kids and being able to provide for them as things come up. I have one that does travel soccer and that’s a monthly payment, plus all the other stuff that goes along with it. I have another that seems to be excelling in CrossFit and other sports again another monthly payment. It’s family/life stuff that comes up that concerns me the most. Will my kids have to give up what they are doing because of my mistakes? Are vacations and small trips going to be gone while in Chapter 13? If my dog gets hit by a car do I just let it die, because I have no money to help him heal? That morbid, I get it. However, what do people do when these things come up?

The end of the financial rope is near, very near. I have never been so worried about losing it all and on top of that dragging my family down with me. I welcome all insight into questions that I should ask and living in Ch13 with a family.

Thanks

Welcome to BKForum!

I don't have any particular questions to ask a bankruptcy attorney. I assume that there are two types of bankruptcy debtors: those that only want the bottom line number (how much do I pay each month), and those that want every single details of where every single dollar is going. As such, you ask the questions which allow you to understand the process and you arrive at an understanding that satisfies your need for information.

I know... that was an "it depends" answer but that is the state of bankruptcy debtors.

My stepchildren never knew that I was in a Chapter 13. My spouse certainly acted like we weren't! I found things that kept the kids busy (annual pass to two theme parks), did things like "build your own pizza" day, and a. lot of movie nights (where we rented the latest movies). Small trips were never a problem! I could even afford those annual passes so trips to the theme parks was a big deal for them and they thought they were spoiled!

As for other emergencies that will arise -- yes I used the word will -- you have to take them as they come. You won't be able to spend $$$$ on emergency surgery for a pet. You will have a tight budget. You must save and build a rainy day fund because it will rain.

Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Ranger 219, seems like everyone has a different journey and different issues that arise over the 60 months. Not sure about the kids expenses with the sports, but the big vacations will probably have to be modified. Chapter 13 was a must for me. I was in over my head. The Ch 13 stopped the bleeding.

Life in the Ch 13 can be tough mentally at first with all the uncertainties going through your head. You will have a payment to the Trustee every month instead of paying all the bills to a CC company or whomever you owe. Things will arise during the 60 months. If it is something major that breaks down, your attorney might be able to work something out with the trustee. Those small things (like new tires for the car) will pop up right when you think you might have a little extra $. You will find a way to get through each hurdle. The ones that want to make it through a ch 13 will find a way.

Stay strong and good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Manup View Post
        Those small things (like new tires for the car) will pop up right when you think you might have a little extra $.
        My new tires were needed... two weeks after filing. One year after filing, they had to dig up the concrete driveway to repair the sewer line. Fun times... not!

Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
        Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X