Creditors calling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creditors calling

Hello, newbie here. I'm about 2 weeks from filing ch 13 and my lawyer told me to quit paying my credit cards. I haven't ever been late on a credit card bill but I will start being late by 2 or 3 weeks before the petition is filed. Does anyone know if the credit card companies will start calling asking for payment with being this late? I just don't want to have to deal with them calling me while I'm at work.

No one can say when any particular creditor will call you to ask for payment. Well, there is one that I know of; American Express. Other than that, don't worry about it. If anything just tell them that you can't pay right now. Do not promise to pay or give them any day or date. Just a simple "can't pay today."

If they do call you at work, tell them they are calling a work phone and you do not give them permission to call you at work.
    Chapter 7 (No Asset/Non-Consumer) Filed (Pro Se) 7/08 (converted from Chapter 13 - 2/10)
    Visit My BKForum Blog: justbroke's Blog

Any advice provided is not legal advice, but simply the musings of a fellow bankrupt.

Comment

Do the credit card companies have your work phone number? I had changed jobs so I didn't have that problem except twice, that I know of, when there were random calls looking for me. They didn't say the were trying to collect and when they left a number they didn't say they were from a collection agency. I never talked to since once it was on voicemail and the other a coworker took a message.

My home phone and cell phone were another thing. I literally unplugged the landline. And I put my cell on silent and ignored the calls.

They will stop calling once you file.
      I am not an expert. I just share my experiences in the Wonderful Wacky World of Chapter 13! Filed 3-30-18 Confirmed 7-11-18 Discharged 6-8-22

Comment

Don't worry about it.

Its over for them.

You are holding the cards in life, and that is how it should be. These companies are ruthless. Shoot, some people kill themselves over credit card debt. They are predatory and abusive.

You should be proud of filing. It takes brains and courage to file.

Also, I would keep track of any correspondence with them because if they break the law and continue to harass you after you file, you might have a lawsuit on your hands.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X