Questions! Looking for insight!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions! Looking for insight!

I am going to start the whole process of filing soon and every once in a while I think of more questions. I was wondering if anyone had any insight on these questions:

1. When you start to file with an attorney do you stop making payments to the creditors or do they need to continue until bankruptcy has officially begun?

2. Has anyone ever had their payments change because of of a new necessary expense? I have a child in daycare and the attorney I met with said that the courts would see that as an acceptable expense (sorry not using the correct lingo) but now I am thinking of my other child who will need to start in about a year.

3. Has anyone charged something on their credit card right before filing, did anything happen as a result? I need to live off any remaining credit I have until the debt is turned into a condensed payment.

Thank you for any help!!

Answers as best as I can, others will also chime in with answers:
    1. Stop paying now.
    2. I assume you're referring to a Chapter 13 and not a Chapter 7; I have heard of folks working out a new plan via their attorney and the Trustee; best if you ask your attorney regarding the adjustment a year into the plan.
    3. For normal living expenses, I do not believe that constitutes abuse of the system. That said, refer to point #1, stop paying your credit cards now and use cash and your debit card.
    Chapter 13 (not 100%):
    • Burned: AMEX, Chase, Citi, Wells Fargo, and South County Bank cum Bank of Southern California
    • Filed: 26-Feb-2015
    • MoC: 01-Mar-2015
    • 1st Payment (posted): 23-Mar-2015
    • 60th Payment (posted): 07-Feb-2020
    • Discharged: 04-Mar-2020
    • Closed: 23-Jun-2020

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Ask your attorney about the child care, hopefully they can adjust the plan as necessary especially knowing it upfront when you are filing.

I would not purposefully use a credit card for purchases to play it safe especially if the purchase could be seen as a luxury/not necessary item.

If you need a car you might want to do that sooner than later once in the Chapter 13 you need to jump thru hoops to purchase a car.

Think of whatever questions you can to ask the attorney and also find an attorney with experience and good reputation in your area. I was fortunate to find one who was excellent. If you don't like the attorney, find another. Talk to a few attorneys to find one that you are comfortable with and though it's not scientific go with your gut feeling.
        I am not an expert. I just share my experiences in the Wonderful Wacky World of Chapter 13! Filed 3-30-18 Confirmed 7-11-18 Discharged 6-8-22

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X