New to Bankruptcy topic…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to Bankruptcy topic…

Hey yall! My husband and I are in the middle of a divorce and today we met with a bankruptcy lawyer to see what the best options are for us and our debt. We currently have been living paycheck to paycheck and with the separation we don’t even know how we are going to pay all of our bills we have on our own. His monthly bills are more than what he brings home and vice versa. We can, however, work an extra day a week each and then be able to live on our own and pay our bills but who wants to work extra when you’re already burnt out and have kids? Not me!

I left that lawyers office more confused when I got there. I’ve been scrolling on this forum for about an hour and a half tonight and have read some great advice but I’m still unsure on what to do exactly.

We have debts that are just in my name, debts in both of our names and also just in his name. Whats the best advice for someone going through this? I really don’t want to file bankruptcy because I want to be able to sell my house and purchase a new one when the housing mkt gets better; maybe sometime this year. If I file bankruptcy I don’t believe this would be doable but in order for us to get rid of our debts this seems to be the only option.

Welcome to the forum!

What advice did your attorney give you? Have you consulted more than one attorney? Most folks here will strongly suggest you consult with at least three attorneys (I consulted with five) before you make a decision on which one to engage.

While my situation wasn't completely analogous to yours, back in 2013 my wife and I separated (we're back together now), losing our house in the process, and then we both filed individually for bankruptcy, her a Chapter 7 and me a Chapter 13. It was not a happy time for either of us or our kids, but we're all better for it now, so hang in there, get some more advice, and pick your best option.
    Latent car nut.

Comment

I’ve only consulted one attorney. It’s the one my mom used and recommends. She works for a lawyer as a paralegal and said she doesn’t trust any other attorney here in town for the bankruptcy.

This is the 3rd time my husband and I are separating; and honestly our debt this time isn’t nearly as bad as it was before but in order for me not to get my credit ruined and to pay things off this is the only option. In the past, I worked as a travel nurse and made $20k more a year. I’m not traveling now and can’t really do it again bc our youngest is in pre-k and the closest travel job near me that pays better is 2 hours away. I can’t drive 2 hours to work.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X