Desparate and need suggestions/ideas/help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Desparate and need suggestions/ideas/help

I know this is going to sound like a sob story but I am totally lost here and don't know what to do...

My significant other just left me and left me with a house that I can't afford, 2 months behind on 1st mortgage and 1 month behind on second. I barely make enough to feed myself and my dog right now but I am looking for a new/another job.

I have about $20,000 in cc debt that I can't pay on and they have already been shut off.

We were stuggling before she left me but I don't have a prayer of doing this on my own.

I had a first consultation with a lawyer and pretty much found out I can't even afford to go backrupt. (his fee and the BK fee, I can't even afford the BK fee)

I need to sell the house asap but I'm not sure if the sale will cover paying back both mortgages...

I guess I just needed to vent this in a place where people would understand the total feeling of desparation and the weight of the entire world crushing down on me, I have no family and dont know what to do...where to start...

Is there any kind of agency that can provid someone in my situation with free legal advice?

I feel like just packing up my personal belongings and just leaving the house but I know it would catch up eventually but I just can't see any light at the other end right now.

Any avdvice would be greatly appreciated.

Being 2 months behind on the primary mortgage, you may see the Foreclosure process begin about any time now, Gryphon.

BUT,.......... Connecticut has VERY convoluted, Judicial Foreclosure Processes to follow, so you're looking at about 150-180 days from the time the Foreclosure starts to the end.

First, the Lender will file a Lis Pendens to have you served with a Summons. If your SO was a co borrower and co owner on the Deed/Title, he/she will also be served.

Here's a link with a laymen's explanation of the process for you:

http://www.foreclosureuniversity.com...onnecticut.php

So you've got some buffer time that you'll be able to stay in the house, rent free and work on your options.

Maybe you'll want to sell the house. Maybe not. With everything else going on, you may not have the energy to go thru marketing and fielding offers. A big deciding factor may be what the house will bring and the strength of your local market.

Call a couple of Realtors, tell them you're planning on selling, and have them prepare a Competitive Market Analysis for you. See what kind of price the house will bring, selling ASAP, AS IS. You might get enough to pay off the mortgages. You might not. If not, then don't fool around with trying to sell the house. Don't waste your energy beating a dead horse.

Many folks here have sold small things on eBay, in yard sales and garage sales, to collect up their money for their attny and filing fees. Maybe you have some things you'd be able to sell??!! Just a thought for you there. As long as you document what you do and explain it, the Court does understand about Filers needing money for bills.

Feel free to post and vent any time, Gryphon. We've all been there and we know what you're going thru. We're here to support and help you in any way we can.
    Filed Ch 7 - 09/06
    Discharged - 12/2006
    Officially Declared No Asset - 03/2007
    Closed - 04/2007

I am not an attorney. My comments are based on personal experience and research. Always consult an attorney in your area to address concerns related to your particular situation.

Another good thing about being poor is that when you are seventy your children will not have declared you legally insane in order to gain control of your estate. - Woody Allen...

Comment

SF has given good advice...

Contact some Realtors in your area and get a few market analysis's and see where you stand. Realize, that you would not be able to sell your house unless you can get a price that is equal to what the bank is owed plus any realtor commission. The bank will not sign off their lien unless they are made whole.

Second...have any divorce proceedings been initiated. Most states provide for a fairly streamed lined divorce process and generally there is some sort of self-help office that has forms, and what-not that can help you do this yourself. (it is really not that hard, it may seem intimidating, but it really isn't).

Third, whose name/names are actually on the mortgage (don't worry about the deed), you need to know who is obligated on the mortgage.

If no divorce proceedings have been initiated, I would suggest that you be the one to take the initiative and get the upper hand. In most states, in addition to filing for divorce, you can file a Motion for Preliminary Support, i.e. your spouse would have to pay you spousal and child support (assuming the qualifications are met).

Contact the bank, since you are not too far behind, they might be able to offer you some payment plan to get back on track. However, just realize, if you can't even afford the regular mortgage, then there is little chance you could afford the payment plan. The payment plan usually consists of the regular mortgage PLUS the arrears to be paid over six months. But, you should contact the bank nonetheless.

Comment

Would you be able to get by if you could stop paying both your first and second mortgage and your cc? Could you save any money over the next 6 months to pay for a deposit on an apartment. If so, then maybe foreclosure is a good options for you to be able to afford your BK and get a fresh start. But I agree with other posters that you should consult a real estate agency asap and determine the value of your home. The quicker you gather the info you need and decided whether you will keep the house or not the better. Then you can formulate a plan and move forward. I agree, you should seek spousal support. Please please keep up posted. We do all care.
        Chapter 7 Pro Se....Discharged Feb. 2006

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X