A few more questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few more questions

We have a pop up camper worth about 2,500 to 3,000. Can they make us sell it?

I just found out my husband used a credit card last month. Do we have to wait to file? It was only about $40.

I think we may have a possible garnishment coming. Do we need to file before this happens?

We have a checking account at a Credit Union. Will they close it? Do we need to have our direct deposits stopped before we file?

Do we need to stop spending on anything? Will they look at our bank statements and say, Why did you spend money at this store? What about Christmas? Do I have to say sorry kids, nothing this year. Even if it's a small amount?

Also, will they notify our landlord about the bankruptcy. We are not behind in our rent.

TIA- You people are a wealth of information.
    Last edited by LGT; 11-15-2006, 09:28 PM. Reason: more questions

Hi Welcome !

Just my two cents .. others will pop in and comment:

im not familiar with assets

I just found out my husband used a credit card last month. Do we have to wait to file? It was only about $40.i dont think that amount is a big deal .. was i necessary ???

I think we may have a possible garnishment coming. Do we need to file before this happens?
    BK can stop garnishments

We have a checking account at a Credit Union. Will they close it? Do we need to have our direct deposits stopped before we file?
    YES, if you can! or simply STOP USING it, leave no money in it if you can, if you have a cc or loan tied to it they will take whatever monies you have (called cross collaterral) and apply it toward that cc!!!

Do we need to stop spending on anything? Will they look at our bank statements and say, Why did you spend money at this store? What about Christmas? Do I have to say sorry kids, nothing this year. Even if it's a small amount?
    if you haven't filed yet, do what is necessary!

Also, will they notify our landlord about the bankruptcy. We are not behind in our rent.
    No, no need unless you are trying to avoid paying rent!

GOOD LUCK ! Catchmeifyoucan
    July 2006: Filed Ch13 :blink:
    Oct 2006: Converted to Ch7 :clapping:
    Jan 2007: DISCHARGED :clapping:
    Nov 2007: CLOSED :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

We do not have a credit card tied to our checking account, but a check card. Does that make any difference? No loans at the credit union.

Comment

do not close the account. just only keep a minimal amount of money. cash only until after your 341. What state are you in? Maybe we can help you with the pop up camper issue. If it is not exempt, you can always sell it and use the cash for necessary expenses prior to filing. Keep receipts. You can use the money to pay an attorney, medical expenese, car repairs, home repairs, etc.
        Chapter 7 Pro Se....Discharged Feb. 2006

Comment

See my comments below.

Originally posted by LGT View Post

The status of the camper/trailer is gonna totally depend on your State's Exemptions. How much personal property you can protect. Some States have very small personal property Exemptions while other States have much larger personal property Exemptions. You'll have to check your State's Exemptions in relation to the value of your other things to know if the value of the camper is in question.

I just found out my husband used a credit card last month. Do we have to wait to file? It was only about $40.

Many attnys might advise just that. To wait to file.

Filing before the garnishment would save you the money taken during the garnishment and the possible embarassment/stigma with your employer associated with garnishment. You can include the debt in BK and the garnishment will be stopped under the Automatic Stay protection.

Do you have any loans you'll include in BK with the Credit Union? Like an overdraft line of protection or a CC. If so, you could have problems with your checking acct. If you aren't filing on any accts held by the Credit Union, the CU may never even find out you filed.

We stopped our Direct Deposits so we'd have better control over when our money was in the bank. We physically deposited pay checks and used our Debit Card, Money Orders, and Cashier's Checks to pay bills. That way, the money was immediately gone. This is particularly important right at the time you file. If you're filing a Ch 7, you'll want to have as little money as possible in the bank. Less cash in the bank is less cash your attny has to cover with an exemption.

No. Go ahead and live normally. But if you were to have a big purchase at a jewelry store or from a travel agency, the Trustee might question those. Regular grocery, gas, and clothes expenses, you don't have to worry about.

One thing I would suggest is hang onto all of your receipts just as a CYA incase some expense is questioned. We were never asked, "What did you buy at Wal-Mart on thus and so date?" But you never know what the Trustee will ask.

Your Landlord's name and address and your rental Lease will be listed on Schedule G. Executory Contracts and Unexpired Leases. But that's it. The Landlord does not receive a notice of your BK filing as you are not including them to discharge the debt. Only the Creditors listed on the Creditor's Matrix are contacted.

Filed Ch 7 - 09/06
          Discharged - 12/2006
          Officially Declared No Asset - 03/2007
          Closed - 04/2007

I am not an attorney. My comments are based on personal experience and research. Always consult an attorney in your area to address concerns related to your particular situation.

Another good thing about being poor is that when you are seventy your children will not have declared you legally insane in order to gain control of your estate. - Woody Allen...

Comment

As far as the credit card, you probably don't have anything to worry about. I spent nearly $300 at Old Navy a month before we filed (school clothes) and no one said anything about it. Yet.

If you don't have any loans through your credit union, your account should be fine. I would stop direct deposit if you can; if not, go get most of the money out the day it gets put in the bank. You don't want a big bank balance on hand when you file. We had $300 in ours and that was okay.
            Filed Chapter 7: 9/29/06
            341 Meeting: 11/01/06
            Last Day for Objections: 1/01/07
            Discharged and closed: 1/03/07

Comment

We live in Wisconsin.

Comment

You should have an exemption up to 20K so I wouldnt worry about the camper.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X