advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

advice

I am considering filling for bankruptcy, chapter 7. I make $17,000 a year and am in debt for all credit cards of around $6000. I know that is not a lot of debt from some people but I have not payed on these cards for around 1 to 2. I do not own a home, have a 1996 car with transmission problems, and my my personal property is around $1000 maybe less. I have no savings or any assets other than personal property. I live with my elderly mother who helps with the bills but would not be able to live on her own because she does not get much social security. I know people will say just cut back on expenses, but I am barely making it as it is. I would like to just start over and wipe out the debt. I would like to file pro se because my case is so simple as I don't have money for lawyer. Any advice would be appreciated.

I have not payed on these cards for around 1 to 2...1 to 2 what, exactly (months, years?)
    Your instincts are right, it is really hard to recommend filing BK over $6000 in credit card debt.

If you can't cut expenses, (cut costs), then you need to increase income. Are you working full or part time right now? Also, if you're not paying the credit cards right now, are you able to meet your basic expenses, if not, than a fresh start from a BK won't really do you much good.

As for filing on your own, plenty of people on this forum can point you to resources to help you figure out filing on your own.

Comment

the problem with filing at this amount is if, in the near future (3-6 years) you have some type of tragedy (large medical expenses, etc) you will not be able to file!! Could you work an extra 20 hours a week for the next 7-8 months and pay this off? If you save up a lump sum then you could pay your creditors for less than you owe. They will settle with you. Or at this point you could really just do nothing. Even if they get a judgement you will not have anything they can take. What state do you live in? Personally, I would not recommend playing your BK card right now. It would not be a good play.
      Chapter 7 Pro Se....Discharged Feb. 2006

Comment

6K in credit card debt is what? Like a buck fifty a month?? How about looking for full-time work? Your problem isn't the 6K in credit card debt, it is the 17K a year you make. Go to school, learn a trade, do something proactive rather than reactive.
        NOTE: I am not a lawyer...any advice I give is for entertainment purposes only. Legal questions should be directed to competent counsel. I am just a troll. Or a Toad.

Comment

I agree with everyone else. $6000 is nothing to file for bankruptcy over no matter what. The pain of bankruptcy will far outweigh $6000 in debt. Bankruptcy is only an option when there is no other way.

Comment

I totally agree the emotional stress of bankruptcy is worst then getting a better job. I would check with a debt consolidation agency first to see what they can do for me.

Comment

make sure its approved by the department of justice. someone had the website on here the other day.....
              Chapter 7 Pro Se....Discharged Feb. 2006

Comment

Originally posted by cindylynnsmith View Post
                make sure its approved by the department of justice. someone had the website on here the other day.....
                http://www.justice.gov/ust/eo/bapcpa...c_approved.htm

You can find a list of approved Credit Counseling Agencies at the link above.
                Filed Ch 7 - 09/06
                Discharged - 12/2006
                Officially Declared No Asset - 03/2007
                Closed - 04/2007

I am not an attorney. My comments are based on personal experience and research. Always consult an attorney in your area to address concerns related to your particular situation.

Another good thing about being poor is that when you are seventy your children will not have declared you legally insane in order to gain control of your estate. - Woody Allen...

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I have contacted the consumer credit counselling to see what they can do for me.

Comment

Do Not File BK....

...as the prior replies....not enough debt going on there.....
                    Filed Oct 2005discharged February 2007,Shapeless in the fire's glow, tell me if you think you know,
                    Who it was we were below, where we've been and where we go

Comment

yeah, go with a ccs program for now, the lawyer alone is probably almost half of what your debt is ! ! !

just my 2 cents, catchmeifyoucan
                      July 2006: Filed Ch13 :blink:
                      Oct 2006: Converted to Ch7 :clapping:
                      Jan 2007: DISCHARGED :clapping:
                      Nov 2007: CLOSED :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X