legal name change after bankruptcy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

legal name change after bankruptcy

I will be filing in the fall or spring, and had a question. I am going to be taking the a last name from my father's side for personal/ethical/family reasons. If I file bankruptcy does that mean i will not be able to legally change my name after it is closed (would they look at that as attempted fraud or something?) Probably a dumb question I know, but I don't want to do anything to jeopardize the proceedings... I live in MN.

I don't know how the trustee or court may view a name change right before or during your bankruptcy cae. However, if you can avoid changing your last name until after your bk case is finished and closed, then there's no worries about changing your name at that point.
    I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
    06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
    07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
    10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
    01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
    09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
    06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
    08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
    Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

I changed my name and my credit and everything stayed the same. As long as you inform them. Its just a name, not like you can create a whole new identity.

Good Luck, Catchmeifyoucan
      July 2006: Filed Ch13 :blink:
      Oct 2006: Converted to Ch7 :clapping:
      Jan 2007: DISCHARGED :clapping:
      Nov 2007: CLOSED :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

Name change after bankruptcy

I was just wondering if anyone did change their name and how it worked out. I was looking at the paper work and it talked about having a lawyer. Did anyone represent themselves and is there any advice you can give. I am also from MN.

Comment

Originally posted by esokev View Post
          If I file bankruptcy does that mean i will not be able to legally change my name after it is closed (would they look at that as attempted fraud or something?)
          After it is closed... you can do whatever you want to do.

Before or during the case, you could also change your name as long as the petition is mended to reflect the new name. I think that the petition asks for ALL names that you have been known by or used in the previous 8 yrs. It doesn't ask if you are contemplating a name chg after disch.

In fact, I would wait until after disch to change your name, that was the new name will not be referenced in the public record. Not that you won't be tied to the your former name, because you will be... via SSN and other means, but waiting is simply better IMO.

Comment

I completely changed my name almost 20 years ago. My credit history remained the same. When you change your name, you don't get a new ssn, you keep the one you have already.

Comment

you can usually change your name for any reason as long as your intent is not to defraud anyone. your ss# stays the same. job applications often ask if you were ever known by any other names. if a job application did not ask for prior names, if there's a possibility of a background check, you'd probably want to give the former name so they could verify school attendance, past employment, etc. (or not, if your trying to cut ties to the past).

Comment

I wouldn't change your name until after your case is completed. You can easily change your name on your own. Its pretty easy really. Just a few court petitions and usually a nominal court filing fee and your done. I helped my friend change both her first and last names after her husband passed. She always hated the last name and went back to her maiden and at the same time changed the first name that she hated to her much loved nickname. She had no trouble at all

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X