Question about lawyer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about lawyer

Does it normally take a month to get a file date? We met with our lawyer and had the 30 minute freeby where they tell you what all is involved...we decided to go for the Ch 7 and we have paid him in full. Now they are saying it will be a month before we can do anything. Is this the norm? After we sign the papers, what is next? Thanks for your help! S and T

(S&T, I moved your question here into its own thread so it will get more attention.)

Originally posted by sickandtired8 View Post
    Does it normally take a month to get a file date?
    Depends on your specific situation. Is there some reason that you need to file right away? Perhaps your lawyer knows that you need to wait another month so that something works out correctly on your forms? (Just guessing.) It's ok to ask your lawyer why you need to wait a month to file.

After we sign the papers, what is next?
    First, be sure you go over each page of the forms thoroughly and ensure each is accurate before you sign. After that, your lawyer will file the forms with the bankruptcy court electronically or on paper and you will be assigned a case number.
    I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
    06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
    07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
    10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
    01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
    09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
    06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
    08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
    Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

If you aren't under the gun in some way to file, then there's no harm in waiting.

Could be, the attny saw something in your documents that said it would be better to wait. Like a payment to one of your CC's puts you over the $600 in 90 days thing.

Or could be the attny is planning his/her vacation. Doesn't want any BK filings/341 Meetings to happen during a specific period of time.

It's really untelling. But if you're not in danger of being sued or Foreclosed on, or anything else dire, then don't sweat it. Patience is the BK Filer's friend.
      Filed Ch 7 - 09/06
      Discharged - 12/2006
      Officially Declared No Asset - 03/2007
      Closed - 04/2007

I am not an attorney. My comments are based on personal experience and research. Always consult an attorney in your area to address concerns related to your particular situation.

Another good thing about being poor is that when you are seventy your children will not have declared you legally insane in order to gain control of your estate. - Woody Allen...

Comment

Originally posted by SinkingFast View Post
        If you aren't under the gun in some way to file, then there's no harm in waiting.

Could be, the attny saw something in your documents that said it would be better to wait. Like a payment to one of your CC's puts you over the $600 in 90 days thing.

Or could be the attny is planning his/her vacation. Doesn't want any BK filings/341 Meetings to happen during a specific period of time.

It's really untelling. But if you're not in danger of being sued or Foreclosed on, or anything else dire, then don't sweat it. Patience is the BK Filer's friend.
        That is good to know! We just want it done and over with. We have not used our cards since Dec 06 and we are about 3 or 4 months behind on payments. I guess patience is our friend S & T

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X