What is ReAffirmation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is ReAffirmation?

All of you guys have used this term a lot here on this forum. Reaffirmation....what does it really mean?

Say you have a car loan or a mortgage. Even furniture loans. You agree with the Lender to maintain the Loan thru out and after your BK. You Reaffirm that you are going to pay the Lender back. You and the Lender sign a written agreement stating interest rate, term, and monthly payments.

That's called a Reaffirmation Agreement.

The Reaffirmation Agreement has to be signed by you and the Lender AND be filed with the Court prior to Discharge or the debt is technically Discharged in your BK.
    Filed Ch 7 - 09/06
    Discharged - 12/2006
    Officially Declared No Asset - 03/2007
    Closed - 04/2007

I am not an attorney. My comments are based on personal experience and research. Always consult an attorney in your area to address concerns related to your particular situation.

Another good thing about being poor is that when you are seventy your children will not have declared you legally insane in order to gain control of your estate. - Woody Allen...

Comment

You then become responsible for that debt in full and it is not discharged in bankruptcy.
      Chapter 7 Pro Se....Discharged Feb. 2006

Comment

Assuming and Affirming....are these both different?

I hate to keep asking questions, but I still am having trouble understanding the difference between things here that seem the same but have different meanings alltogether.

I received a letter from GMAC about my leased vehicle and the letter was titled Lease Assumption Agreement.....What is the difference legally between assumption and affirmation?

Comment

Reaffirmation: This is the legal term when you reaffirm the debt with the creditor. You state that you accept the terms and continue to assume responsibility for the debt. You must be able to show to the court that the reaffirmation is not an undue burden on your finances or most lawyers/judges/trustees will not sign it.

Redemption: You pay the full market value within a set time frame I can't think of before the BK discharge though. The property is yours then.

Surrender: The final legal term that you can do with secured property. You give the property back and the debt is discharged.

I can't answer the lease question as I've never had a lease , hopefully someone else will be by.
          May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
          July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
          September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

When you lease you are essentially renting the car. You pay for the months you use it therefore there is no loan to reafirm.
            The lease assumption agreement is basically you saying you want to continue renting (leasing) the car.
            Filed: 10/26/2006
            Discharged: 03/05/2007
            Closed: 5/19/2008 - Asset case due to balance transfer and income tax refund

Comment

Assuming and Affirming....are these both different?

Originally posted by JollyGG View Post
              When you lease you are essentially renting the car. You pay for the months you use it therefore there is no loan to reafirm.
              The lease assumption agreement is basically you saying you want to continue renting (leasing) the car.
              Thank you so much. That cleared it up for me. I will send back the letter from GMAC about the car. I was never behind, but the bankruptcy division at GMAC said that legally they had to send me this letter and as soon as I signed it and sent it back, they would send me my payment book. I already paid for this month anyway.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X