Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just Needing to Vent

##
    Last edited by SecondChanceGal; 03-01-2008, 05:45 PM.

I need to Vent 2..I know how U Feel

I thought I was the only single parent who had children who live with you and try not to show the disappointment about us having to file bankruptcy. My daughter has been giving me a hard time since she discovered by accident that I was filing. I am normally a very private person, but lately I have had to have conference calls with lawyers trying to find one who will accept payments and I have also been calling legal aide to see if I can get one of their lawyers to help me for a minimal fee. I have been trying to decide wether i will file myself with the help of a paralegal or the Bankruptcy Helpdesk in my city hall location.

In summary, being a single mom is stressful enough, but trying to find money to pay somebody because you don,t have any money is beyond stressful. I have to fight off that hopeless feeling everyday. Its real deep.

Comment

Hello Ladies,

Have you called your local United Way office? Here in my city there is a legal aide clinic that is held at a non-profit called the Women's Center. Usually, this agency is centered on rape crisis and job placement, but they have a legal clinic on Tuesday evenings. The clinic is not in the phone book and is a pretty well kept secret. The local attorney take turns helping out at the center, pro bono.

Good luck to you both. I was a single mom to three girls for years, so I feel your pain. When my youngest turned 18, my credit card debt equaled the amount that I was owed for back child support. Imagine that!!!

Oh, on the brakes and car repairs, teen age boys come in real handy for car repairs, as they are always tinkering with theirs. Brakes are not rocket science, just make sure they take the rotors and have them turned. AutoZone can do it. Have your girls ask around or call the high school and see if they have a shop class.

Good luck, we are pulling for you.
      I used to have a life, now I have grandkids.

Comment

We have a Vo-Tech Center here that does mechanical work on cars for the price of parts. Call your local Public Schools District Office and see if you have a "Career Center" in your area.

Finding a BK attny to take payments after filing is gonna be a toughie. Attnys know we're broke so they want their money up front.

BK attnys and Funeral Home Directors are in "dead end" businesses. They gotta get the money up front or their clients probably won't pay.
        Filed Ch 7 - 09/06
        Discharged - 12/2006
        Officially Declared No Asset - 03/2007
        Closed - 04/2007

I am not an attorney. My comments are based on personal experience and research. Always consult an attorney in your area to address concerns related to your particular situation.

Another good thing about being poor is that when you are seventy your children will not have declared you legally insane in order to gain control of your estate. - Woody Allen...

Comment

if you have a pretty simple case and no assets why don't you go pro se and use a paralegal??? Sometimes you have to do what you gotta do. if you have no assets you really don't need a lawyer, even a lawyer told me that. REad all you can about bK put have a paralegal do the work, they do it anyway not your lawyer LOL. I paid $200 for paralegal this includes all the paperwork, mailing, amendments, any paperwork needed if a credit objects and your means test. You just provide the information. If you have a good one you will meet in person for the signing and you will spend a lot of time on the phone and email. My total cost for bk chapter 7 is
          $50 for pre bk filing class
          $200 paralegal filing
          $50 post bk filing class

That is it. I have 4 kids and no assets, nothing to really fight for so paying a lawyer was not needed nor could I afford one.
          Success is reachable, stretch out your arm and grab it.

Comment

Originally posted by freshstart06 View Post
            My total cost for bk chapter 7 is
            $50 for pre bk filing class
            $200 paralegal filing
            $50 post bk filing class
            FS, there's a $299 filing fee for Ch 7 - didn't you pay that too?
            I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
            06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
            07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
            10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
            01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
            09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
            06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
            08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
            Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

##
              Last edited by SecondChanceGal; 03-01-2008, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SecondChanceGal View Post
                I know a paralegal can file it, but I'm not seeing where they would look it over line for line and tell me if I'm wrong.
                That's because it's actually against the law for a paralegal to do that. Advising you if you've completed the forms correctly is giving legal advice and only a lawyer can do that. Sorry

Even if you are considering filing pro se doesn't stop you from making free consultation appointments with 3-4 experienced bankruptcy lawyers in your area. You might just find one that is willing to take a small retainer payment, file your case, and allow you to pay the rest afterwards. You'll also find out a lot about whether you should be able to keep your car. What do you have to lose? Make the calls and set up the appointments. They are free - no guilt!
                I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
                06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
                07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
                10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
                01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
                09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
                06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
                08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
                Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

good luck

hi...had no choice..found a lawer that took payments from me...had to include 299 filing fee 100 for classes..800 for his services and 150 to have a judgement avoided...almost 1400.00 we can thank the stupid credit card
                  companies for the oct 2005 amendments to the bk law...i pray you find some good honest help with your case.....keep your head up and take it one step at a time and you will be able to give your daughter the life you want to...good luck..will be pulling for you...guzzie
                  case filed : 6 -5-2007 :blush2:
                  DISCHARGED ...9-26-2007..:yahoo::yahoo:
                  case closed : 11-13-2007 :yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

my attorneys

my Attorneys always say on their local show''We are not naive knowing our clients are broke,why do you think our clients are seeking financial relief. They are broke,that's why we put no added pressure on them to pay us'' i wish i could have my attorneys help you second chance.No my attorneys are not free but i sure appreciate them not putting that pressure to pay. When the money is paid we will file for you they say.it sure helped me when they took my creditors calls,as soon as i started making payments for my filing.
                    CH. 7 Filed 4/4/07 done DISCHARGED AND CASE CLOSED 7/10/07 approved auto loan 3/082005 ford escape 14500
                    all cc balances paid in full after transactions credit report disputes raised fico 25 points fico 8/07 448 fico 4/08 595

Comment

##
                      Last edited by SecondChanceGal; 03-01-2008, 05:40 PM.

Comment

I don't blame the credit card companies for the 2005 changes...I'd do the same thing. Fill up a truckload of cash, whine about a bunch of dirtballs not paying their debts, and see what I could get done...personal accountability and all of that propaganda. If you must blame someone, see if your congress-person voted for it. Also, thank our commander-in-chief for not using the veto. I think the "Bankruptcy Scammer" became the new "Welfare Mom" that we used to hear so much about...the imaginary citizens who are just milking the system.
                        Filed Ch 7 - January 29th, 2008
                        341 - February 29th, 2008
                        Discharge - June 20th, 2008
                        Closed - October, 2008

Comment

I would say go for it pro se...

secondchancegal,
                          I would suggest you get the new NOLO book. This book, along w/ this site, were the only tools I used. I curled up and read that book like it was the latest suspense/thriller novel . I was so scared and apprehensive at first but after reading the book, I was cool, calm and collected at every step My discharge date was last Friday (7/20/07, though it has yet to show up on Pacer) The NOLO book literally went line by line on the forms you need. The lawyer I went to wanted $1700...yeah, right
                          Good luck

Can't believe I used so many smileys.

Comment

great news secondchance

good to hear you got a payment plan in the works. i'm glad your taking that step forward.The road will bumpy,but,having a lawyer who knows all the laws and can represent you.i believe you'll have all your papers filed right and someone who knows your state laws will help your journey go smoother oh yeah sending some friends to cheer you on> you can do it take care
                            CH. 7 Filed 4/4/07 done DISCHARGED AND CASE CLOSED 7/10/07 approved auto loan 3/082005 ford escape 14500
                            all cc balances paid in full after transactions credit report disputes raised fico 25 points fico 8/07 448 fico 4/08 595

Comment

glad about your payment plan...and yes why didn't bush veto the new law
                              which made lawers raise there fees, require classes etc.a few more hoops to jump through...to your success...guzzie
                              case filed : 6 -5-2007 :blush2:
                              DISCHARGED ...9-26-2007..:yahoo::yahoo:
                              case closed : 11-13-2007 :yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X