Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could that happen to me?

Hello,
    I am getting nervous-I saw the previous post that said the Sheriff went to her house to serve her with papers from Citibank!
    I am filing Ch 7 in a month or two and one of the cc's is Citibank for 2k. So could this happen to me? thanks guys

It's possible but, who knows. I defaulted on my Citi card for 5 months prior to filing and just got the phone calls and letters but, others have had a different experience.

Comment

Hubby and I both had individual Citi cards and neither of us got served. They would call but we'd just give them our atty's info and that was it.

Good luck and I hope they don't bother you!
      Yo ho, Yo ho, a pirates life for me
      Discharged 9/1/04

Comment

Thanks Disney Girl!
        I never even knew that could happen!

Comment

hi cbean...I was served papers by sheriff from LVNV who had bought a sears account
          which was all interest owed.....we headed them off at the pass by immediate filing so they could not get a judgement entered.....that was june 5, 2007.....not a peep or objection yet from them.....it can happen but I doubt you will get served....good luck....almost in the 30 day club...guzzie
          case filed : 6 -5-2007 :blush2:
          DISCHARGED ...9-26-2007..:yahoo::yahoo:
          case closed : 11-13-2007 :yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

Depends on where you live as to who serves you. In a bigger city a process server could be a young guy in a suit and tie in a white van, but in a small county it could most likely be the sherrif. But remember, it doesn't mean you are a criminal. The company is paying someone to provide a service. The serve the papers. That's it. It's purely civil.
            Chapter 7 Pro Se....Discharged Feb. 2006

Comment

Exactly

What Cindy said.
              They come, they ask if you are who you are....
              They hand you papers and you sign a receipt.
              They go away.

No sirens, no arrest.

It IS scary, though.

Then, you read the papers. You find out when you have to respond by. Stupid me, in my sticking my head in the sand days, I didn't respond. They got a default judgement. Then there was a garnishment. I forget if all that stuff get served on me or not, or if it just comes by registered mail.

So they garnished my wages. And THEN I filed bankruptcy. I should have done it long ago.

Live and learn, I guess.

Now I am 16 months down, 42 to go on a Chapter 13 plan.

It'll get better. You have a plan, and are NOT sticking you head in the sand, which was my plan. (It didn't go away.I peeked out sometimes, and it was all still there. I hate when that happens)

Cat

Comment

THanks Cat.

Comment

I know its scary, I had the Sheriff deliver me papers in late March regarding my old Aspire account that had passed through several collection agencies. It is the reason I filed bankruptcy.

8 more days left for objections and so far not a peep from anyone.
                  May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
                  July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
                  September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

Originally posted by cindylynnsmith View Post
                    Depends on where you live as to who serves you. In a bigger city a process server could be a young guy in a suit and tie in a white van, but in a small county it could most likely be the sherrif. But remember, it doesn't mean you are a criminal. The company is paying someone to provide a service. The serve the papers. That's it. It's purely civil.
                    Exactly. In fact, I used to live in a county where the sheriff's department served process, and the name of the unit that did it was the "Civil Division."
                    "BK7 is not a fast-food combo meal."

Disclaimer: I'm a lawyer, but I'm not your lawyer. ;-) Accordingly, this post should not be considered legal advice.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X