utility bills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

utility bills

Question on listing utitlity bills. My electric bill is in my sisters name, not in mine or my husband's. Can we still list that balance and get it discharged?

I would assume not. Since the bill is in your sister's name she would be held responsible. Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong, though.
    Kari
    10/12/2007 Filed Chapter 711/08/2007 341 Meeting 01/07/2008 Last Day for Objections
    http://www.bankruptisnormal.com/

Comment

Are you talking about on the schedules? I would think that if it's an expense you pay monthly then you can list it.
      Petition Filed 6/4/07 :clapping:
      341 meeting 7/31/07 :clapping: :unsure:
      First Meeting Held and Trustee's Report of No Distribution 8/2 :yahoo::yahoo:
      10/15/2007 - DISCHARGED!:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

okay, the electric bill is in your sister's name, right?
        Do you pay her/them monthly for the electric bill?
        Are you behind on payments to them?
        Are they behind on payments to the electric company?

If you pay them monthly for Electric, then this can be listed on your expenses for your electric bill.

If you owe them (sister) money, you can list them as a creditor that you owe.

But you cannot wipe out the electric bill that is past due (if any) that is in your sister's name. You owe your sister, not the electric company. And she owes the electric company.

So all you can do is list your sister as a creditor that you owe. Anything you owe her is discharged, but NOT what your sister owes the electric company in her name.

Hope I got that right............
        Minny

"It's amazing the paths that our feet sometimes follow in life".

My suggestions are from "personal experience" and research only. Do not consider this as legal advice. Each bankruptcy case is different.

Comment

well, I read in the tactical guide to list utilities. not sure how to handle that utility...
          Last edited by Elle615; 10-23-2007, 11:20 AM. Reason: adding

Comment

Originally posted by Elle615 View Post
            well, I read in the tactical guide to list utilities. not sure how to handle that utility...
            Elle, you can't include a debt in your bankruptcy that isn't yours. The electric company account belongs to your sister, not to you.

As Minny already suggested, you can list this as a debt you owe your sister, but your sister will still owe the amount of the bill to the electric company.
            Last edited by lrprn; 10-23-2007, 04:14 PM.
            I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
            06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
            07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
            10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
            01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
            09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
            06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
            08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
            Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

bottom Ad Widget