Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Bankruptcy is getting Audited!

Kari
    10/12/2007 Filed Chapter 711/08/2007 341 Meeting 01/07/2008 Last Day for Objections
    http://www.bankruptisnormal.com/

My attorney said it is probably worse than a tax audit. Good luck!!
    Filed: 6-7-2010 341: 7-15-2010 DISCHARGED: 9/17/2010

Comment

I wonder if the attorney is going to charge me more money?
      Kari
      10/12/2007 Filed Chapter 711/08/2007 341 Meeting 01/07/2008 Last Day for Objections

Comment

Sorry to hear that you were one of the lucky ones. Originally, I filed Chapter 7 under the old laws. The UST was there at my 341 meeting. (Talk about rotten luck.) I had to provide all kinds of documentation. Unfortunately, I had to file a Chapter 13. The only reason was because we were high income filers. Our attorney warned us that this might happen but really thought that we had a good chance of filing chapter 7. Anyway, it all worked out in the end.

My attorney did not charge me for the audit or the second filing fee; just the difference between his fee for a chapter 7 vs a chapter 13. I really hope that you are luckier than I was. Good luck!!
        Last edited by $$only4ever; 10-30-2007, 01:46 PM.
        sigpicPersevere: "To continue a course of action, in spite of difficulty, opposition or discouragement."

Chapter 13: Discharged 03/15/2010. Closed 05/19/2010::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

When you check pacer, where does it say that?

Comment

I went under docket report and it says:

10/22/2007 10 Trustee's Selection for Audit Filed by U.S. Trustee Habbo G. Fokkena. (^Mack, Marion (ml)) (Entered: 10/22/2007)
            Kari

Comment

I am so sorry to hear that, but I am sure it will all be fine. Everyone here will think positive thoughts for you that you get your info together easily and that it still runs just as smoothly! They sure don't give you a lot of time to gather your info do they?

I see we filed on the same day, but my 341 isn't until 11/19- wish it were sooner!

Comment

I dont understand why that has to be in the audit? Because I expect to take all that stuff with me before I even file.

I always felt like doing a BK is being audited in a discreet way anyway, maybe I just don't understand what the difference is.

Comment

We've had several people on the Forum over the last year that have been pinged for Audit. Even a few cases where extra documentation was requested, "Just 'cause" the UST wanted it.

Yeah, it's a hassle.

It's a check on the system to potentially weed out fraudulent filers. 1 in every 250 cases filed gets pulled for Audit. It was part of the New Law but didn't take effect until October, 2006.

Get your stuff together and get it out ASAP. If you provide what's requested, you'll probably never hear from them again.
                  Filed Ch 7 - 09/06
                  Discharged - 12/2006
                  Officially Declared No Asset - 03/2007
                  Closed - 04/2007

I am not an attorney. My comments are based on personal experience and research. Always consult an attorney in your area to address concerns related to your particular situation.

Another good thing about being poor is that when you are seventy your children will not have declared you legally insane in order to gain control of your estate. - Woody Allen...

Comment

what checks do they do on fraudulent trustees?

Comment

Originally posted by sol1899 View Post
                      what checks do they do on fraudulent trustees?
                      Local trustees are evaluated periodically by their US trustee, but in truth, the bk system pretty much depends on all of us to notify the system that a trustee has crossed the boundary into fraud and corruption by either sending a complaint to the US Trustee or filing a lawsuit against the bad trustee -

I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
                      06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
                      07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
                      10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
                      01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
                      09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
                      06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
                      08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
                      Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

I'm sorry to hear that you were one of the unlucky ones! Hopefully it goes smoothly and you don't hear anything after you give them what they want.
                        11/14/07 -filed C7 12/04/07 -case pulled for random audit.12/18/07 -341 held: Asset case due to engagement ring & tax return.02/19/08 - US trustee files motion to extend. 04/02/08- changed back to NO ASSET! I get my ring back and get to keep my tax return! :clapping: 04/28/08 -DISCHARGED!!! :yahoo::yahoo: 05/07/08 - CLOSED!!!

Comment

I talked to my attorney today. He's going to charge me to help me with the audit. He wants $350 up front and might end up charging $500 depending on how involved they have to be. He said he won't charge me more than $500 but he's never had this happen to one of his clients so far. I'm so mad. Not only do I have to deal with this audit but now I'm out even more money. I never thought bankruptcy would be so expensive - how stupid! But if I pay for the attorney they will do all dealings with the audit company so it seems like I'll be protected more that way. If I don't pay the extra I'll have to deal with this part alone...
                          Kari

Comment

this is kind of crazy. But my attorney actually wanted all this information right upfront, so maybe my attorney is jumping ahead just in the event this were to happen to me.
                            NotFun
                            Filed: 10/31/2007
                            341: 12/05/2007
                            Last day for objections: 02/05/2008

Comment

good luck to you.....
                              case filed : 6 -5-2007 :blush2:
                              DISCHARGED ...9-26-2007..:yahoo::yahoo:
                              case closed : 11-13-2007 :yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse