Changing cell phone #

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing cell phone #

So I haven't filed for ch 7 yet, but will. I've been receiving lots of phone calls on my cell phone since that's the number I have on record with the cc companies. Would it be a problem if I simply changed my cell phone # ? (This can be easily done by asking the cell phone plan operator.)

Change away!

Comment

I think it's a great idea, we disconnected our home phone and now use our cells. Not only did we save money we avoided the calls entirely.

Comment

Originally posted by bkbkbk View Post
        So I haven't filed for ch 7 yet, but will. I've been receiving lots of phone calls on my cell phone since that's the number I have on record with the cc companies. Would it be a problem if I simply changed my cell phone # ? (This can be easily done by asking the cell phone plan operator.)

You might want to google the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA). If you're getting lots of calls a day some/most have to be automated which I'm pretty sure are illegal if they're making these calls to a cell phone. I believe you can collect $500 a call if you can prove to a judge you notified them it's a cell phone.
        It's not what we have in our lives, but who we have in our lives and the quality of those relationships.

Comment

We switched completely to cell phones right before I filed and only 1 or 2 calls filtered in on the new number some how. They'll just start sending you letters saying "we cannot contact you by phone, please call us and give us a number where you can be reached"! Yeah right!!!

Comment

Won't this be used against me in BK court? Also, they started automated messages, now its live person messages (its Discover card) does it mean they are moving on quickly?? Only 1 payment has been missed.
            I am NOT an attorney, anything I say here is not a legal advice.

Comment

why would you think changing your phone number would have any bearing on your bk?
              Discover card is just doing what all your creditors will be doing soon-calling multiple times a day. That's why people change their phone number.

Comment

Originally posted by ssdsco View Post
                You might want to google the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA). If you're getting lots of calls a day some/most have to be automated which I'm pretty sure are illegal if they're making these calls to a cell phone. I believe you can collect $500 a call if you can prove to a judge you notified them it's a cell phone.
                That defense won't fly. If you don't answer the phone, acknowledge the situation, and let them know it's a cell...how would they know? Even if it was illegal, the caller wouldn't be breaking any law if they don't know it's a cell.

Comment

I still don't understand why some folks are petrified of these calls. The smart debtor is answering the phone and at least verifying the caller has the correct address and contact info. So many are getting sued and they don't even know about it, because the creditor/CA didn't have the correct address to send the summons. So, Johnny debtor has been avoiding the calls...summons goes to wrong address...judgement is granted by default...debtors checking account is now frozen or emptied...debtor is now crying.

It just happened to me. RPM has my Sprint account with the wrong address. Sprint was sending me notices to correct addrss, however RPM now has the account with the wrong address. RPM could have easily gotten a default judgement had I not answered the phone and verified my info with them.

Some of those debtors that insist on ducking and hiding from THEIR bad debts WILL get bit. There's enough information posted right here on this board for folks to learn and understand the process and their rights. Once someone knows how things work the calls won't bother you anymore.
                  Last edited by jp2861; 12-21-2007, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jp2861 View Post
                    That defense won't fly. If you don't answer the phone, acknowledge the situation, and let them know it's a cell...how would they know? Even if it was illegal, the caller wouldn't be breaking any law if they don't know it's a cell.
                    I guess you didn't catch the last 5-6 words.
                    It's not what we have in our lives, but who we have in our lives and the quality of those relationships.

Comment

Originally posted by ssdsco View Post
                      I guess you didn't catch the last 5-6 words.
                      Yes, I read that, but it has nothing to do with the posters situation. The truth is they can call your cell phone. If you used the cell number on an application or for the creditors records they can legally call a cell. So, if they're calling a cell chances are high they got it off the OC's records, which is legal to call. The OP stated he used the cell number on his records with the creditors. Pretty hard to prove a $500 claim when the callers were within legal bounds. There's not much anyone can prove to a judge when the cell number was used for the records.

Now, what the OP could do is send a "stop calling" letter. Then he would have a legitimate claim againt the caller. But, as his post stands there wasn't any law being violated, thus nothing to prove.
                      Last edited by jp2861; 12-22-2007, 01:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jp2861 View Post
                        Yes, I read that, but it has nothing to do with the posters situation. The truth is they can call your cell phone. If you used the cell number on an application or for the creditors records they can legally call a cell. So, if they're calling a cell chances are high they got it off the OC's records, which is legal to call. The OP stated he used the cell number on his records with the creditors. Pretty hard to prove a $500 claim when the callers were within legal bounds. There's not much anyone can prove to a judge when the cell number was used for the records.

Now, what the OP could do is send a "stop calling" letter. Then he would have a legitimate claim againt the caller. But, as his post stands there wasn't any law being violated, thus nothing to prove.
                        Thanks for expanding on exactly what I was saying.

Comment

The creditors would call me automated, sometmes up to 20 times a day, and the phone calls were around 40-50 mins apart for the same phone number.

I never answered any calls. I set my cell phone on beep. So when the calls started flooding in, I just let it go to voicemail.

I would just listen to the vm after the mins were free at night and just keep hitting the delete message key. Then during the day, right back to the numerous beeps.

That lasted from about May to just recently. I filed bk, and the calls just dropped off within about 2weeks of filing.

Ah, the sound of sweet silence!

I wouldn't switch numbers. They could file that you were knowingly and intentionally avoiding them.

Comment

I wouldn't switch numbers. They could file that you were knowingly and intentionally avoiding them.

That's not an issue in bk.

Comment

I changed my phone number because it seemed like everyone and their dog had it and was calling it... not so much even creditors but plain old spam. Of course, Chase and Capital One calling me 10 times everyday pushed it along as well. Now we get letters. Capital one is still sending us notices of payment... and the letter says "This is not an attempt to collect a debt." It's just a "hey, you know you owe this, right? Just checking..."

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X