No announcement yet.

Changing cell phone #

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I changed my cell numbers and sent out c&d letters making sure all creditors had the correct addresses. The calls stopped on my home phone within a month or so.

I didn't file until over 2 years (maybe 3) after that. No problems. The only problem with avoiding a creditor is if you have their property and are hiding it. Otherwise you have a right to have them stop calling. Period. Personally it was just a lot easier form me to not have the stress of those phone calls.

I say to the OP, do what will make you the most comfortable. What I did was put a stack of c&d letters by the phone and for a few weeks answered the phone. Told the creditor I had no money and then made sure they had my correct mailing address. I then asked for their correspondance address and fax number. I filled out the envelope right then and there and dropped in the mail as well as faxed the letter to the creditor.

Hope this helps.
    Chapter 7 Pro Se....Discharged Feb. 2006

Comment

I changed mine as well and got rid of the house phone. Now no one but my family and kids can get me! I also learned from this that NEVER put your real phone number down on an online pay plan.....
      I make up a bogus one and use it for all accounts

Comment

I just changed mine a week ago. I had the same number for many years and even after filing was still getting calls every day from some collections who were included in my bk. I answered the automated dialer calls, pressed 1 for an "agent" and then got a message saying it was outside of business hours and to call back.

Finally got sick of it when they were calling me at 8AM on Saturdays and then some other number that wasn't a CA but a cell phone was also calling me early in the morning repeatedly and hanging up. That's enough. Since the only calls I seemed to get were from CA's and maybe one or two good friends it was time to change the number. I'm discharged and done with telling them to leave me alone.
        12/05/08 - filed pro se
        01/27/09 - case dismissed and closed - 02/24/09 - case reopened and dismissal vacated
        04/01/09 - new 341 scheduled
        6/02/09 - DISCHARGED!!!

Comment

Once you explain to them that you are filing bankruptcy, they will leave you alone, even if you don't file for months after that. Worked for me.

Comment

My attorney just told me to change my number. But all my friends and family have this number. What a pain! So I'm just ignoring all numbers I don't recognize.

Comment

Many cell phones have a feature that sends calls direct to voice mail, that are not in your accept list.

Comment

I can say I successfully kept my phone number throughout bankruptcy and after. All you need to do is call them or send a letter stating you are filing and they leave you alone. My bankruptcy has ended and I am still not receiving calls with the same number.

Comment

Originally posted by jp2861 View Post
                  So, Johnny debtor has been avoiding the calls...summons goes to wrong address...judgement is granted by default...debtors checking account is now frozen or emptied...debtor is now crying.
                  So, you are saying if you get a judgement against you they can get at your bank account?

I'm curious because some have recommended that I not file and just stop payments. If I do that what can they come after? I don't have any income currently and may be getting disability in the future which is protected in my state. However, family helps me and I also may be selling some things so I may have some money in the bank.

Originally posted by keepmine View Post
                  I wouldn't switch numbers. They could file that you were knowingly and intentionally avoiding them.

That's not an issue in bk.
                  Is that an issue when defaulting, but not filing BK?

Comment

Originally posted by notadeadbeat View Post
                    I changed mine as well and got rid of the house phone. Now no one but my family and kids can get me! I also learned from this that NEVER put your real phone number down on an online pay plan.....
                    I make up a bogus one and use it for all accounts
                    Online pay plan?

What kind of accounts are you speaking of?

I hope you used exchange 555, since their aren't any numbers that begin with that. If not, someone else may be getting harassing calls if you just made up a number.

Comment

Nice idea..

I need to consider that, right now I am average about 35 calls a day from my credit card people wanting payment. I have explained to them my situation, but the automated calls keep coming.

Comment

Your bank account is free game

I should know, last week all of my monies were taken due to a judgement. A judgement in a case I didn't even know happened, And the collection agency suing me KNOWS the debt is over 6 years old and the SOL is in effect. I never got the summons and yet my entire bank account and savings account were frozen.

Comment

Originally posted by eli4625 View Post
                          I should know, last week all of my monies were taken due to a judgement. A judgement in a case I didn't even know happened, And the collection agency suing me KNOWS the debt is over 6 years old and the SOL is in effect. I never got the summons and yet my entire bank account and savings account were frozen.
                          Interesting, noone warned me of this aspect. So, if you decide to default and not file BK, do you have to live without a bank account?

It sounds like in your case you should be able to get your money back if the SOL is out?

Actaully, I just did some reading. It sounds like you may not have any standind since the decision was already made, unless you can prove you weren't properly summoned. Here's a link that might help you:

Last edited by sirius; 06-17-2009, 05:10 PM.

Comment

I have filed

I went ahead and filed that the decision be set aside. The case report says it was delivered but I never got it. Knowing that the SOL was in effect why wouldn't I show? If the judge refuses to hear it I am out that monies but am filing BK so they will get no more.

Comment

Also, if you mention that you have a lawyer, this may stop them from calling. Once you file though, they must stop calling you.

Comment

What is strange to me is that I have not been getting alot of calls since I answered them and told them I was filing. I wonder why...........
                                filed June 12,09
                                341 July 20,09
                                deadline to object Sept 18,09

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X