Adding a creditor to the matrix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding a creditor to the matrix

Here's something that's a little annoying that I've learned, apparently, if you forget somebody on the date of filing and have to amend your petition, my particular attorney charges $200 EACH creditor that needs to be added.

So make sure you get all your creditors.

That is excessive. Granted, there is a filing fee of $26 that is charged by the court to amend the creditor matrix, but oh well. (maybe the attorney veiws the fee as an incentive to the debtor to get it right the first time)

Comment

Our attorney charged us the $26 - nothing more.
      Chapter 7 Filed - 11/27/07
      Discharged - 2/29/08
      Unsecured Debt Discharged - $162k +/- (small business, personally guaranteed)
      Finally Closed - 3/1/09

Comment

Sounds like that might be the fee AFTER confirmation. Seems I've read somewhere that its a pretty simple process to add a creditor before confirmation, but after confirmation it's more involved. Maybe others can chime in.......
        You can't have your cake and eat it too. But you can dip your finger in the bowl and lick the icing

Comment

Originally posted by krielly View Post
          Sounds like that might be the fee AFTER confirmation. Seems I've read somewhere that its a pretty simple process to add a creditor before confirmation, but after confirmation it's more involved. Maybe others can chime in.......
          You might be right, in a chapter 7, adding a creditor is no big deal. In a chapter 13, after confirmation, that would be more involved because it usually requires changing the chapter 13 plan as well.

Comment

Chapter 7 ....added 5 cerditors before 941 to the tune of $26.

Comment

In CH 13, my attorney is adding a creditor for the $26 filing fee. We don't confirm until the 25th of this month though, so that might be the difference. $200 each sounds really excessive. Heck, the creditor we are adding is only for $218, I wouldn't even bother if my attorney charged that much. It was for a medical expense that had been incurred, but we didn't get the bill for it until after filing.
              Filed CH 13 September 17, 2007
              Plan Modified July 8, 2009 from $1100/month to $400/month due to change in income, finally discharged in July of 2013!

Comment

Once again, I will say that lawyers will definitely take advantage of people when they are desperate. I filed and had to add creditors. I had 9 of them. Can you imagine me paying 200.00 for each creditor I forgot. I paid 26.00 in the bankruptcy court office, I had a list, they charged that one fee and sent it off. I checked Pacer a few weeks later and all of them had been informed and mailed the automatic stay filing information that is normally sent out when a person files bankruptcy. I just have no idea why this happens. How are lawyers allowed to take advantage of people like this...there out to be a law.

Comment

Originally posted by twuoo View Post
                  Here's something that's a little annoying that I've learned, apparently, if you forget somebody on the date of filing and have to amend your petition, my particular attorney charges $200 EACH creditor that needs to be added.

So make sure you get all your creditors.
                  now if your case was discharged it is around 200 something to reopen case to add creditors but i did my own amendment added about 20 more creditors. its easy as pie and I before discharge it was 26.00
                  Last edited by aachudneymiles; 01-10-2008, 04:54 PM.
                  *Filed Chp 7 bk 11/13/07 PRO SE :yahoo::yahoo:[x]
                  *Last day to Objection 02/19/2008 :yahoo: [x]
                  *DISCHARGED 2/25/08!!:cry::yahoo: CLOSED 2/29/08
                  TransUnion 538 Experian 519 Equifax 531

Comment

do it yourself!! it's very easy!
                    Chapter 7 Pro Se....Discharged Feb. 2006

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X