Big Judgements but trying to avoid BK in New York

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Judgements but trying to avoid BK in New York

Hopefully this was a good place to start with my issue, and introduce myself to the forum. I am a single guy with no kids, age 34. I was partners in a LLC that went sour back in 2001. I wont beat around the bush, but some of the 7 digit loss to the creditors was classified as criminal, but still handled low key. I dont feel this is the place to discuss that aspect of the problem but want to touch on it now that anyone reading this must be curious.

For the record, the very liberal funds availability policy of several local banks was taken advantage of for YEARS. Not abused to buy luxury items, but to cover other bills and keep up with payroll. "borrow from Peter to pay Paul scenario" They (banks) were more than aware of a potential problem and the accounts were all red flagged multiple times, but never shut down. Their denial of this is part of the reason the government treated me very fairly and understanding. Also I was very straight forward, cooperative, and made every effort to make it right.

The two banks that lost the money that was classified as loaned involuntarily, or criminal, received default judgments. I was so relived to not be arrested, that i was stupid enough to agree to almost anything and didnt try to stop them. (had two attorneys on retainer as well) We were all working together and they were being paid back a large sum each month, with interest that would of cleared the whole mess up in 10 years or so. There were no flashing lights, no media coverage, or anything I feared for years since I really became aware that I was in too deep. However, the impact of 2 judgments over 400k each, instantly nuked my excellent credit. (gee, i wonder why?)

Finally the re-payments stopped and the business closed because it was just impossible to keep going with no credit. They (banks) shot their own foot with that move. There were no liquid assets to take anyway. Savings accounts maintained in the banks involved were already added to the deficit with one push of a button. (around 100k) Again, a real criminal would not leave money laying there to take in the first place.

Because this was / is not dischargable debt, i considered myself "judgment proof" and did not even consider Bk because it would show a bad attitude to the government. Again, the huge judgments would not go away anyway.

I stopped paying unsecured debt. Especially credit cards that turned on me the second the judgments hit. 9.9 percent jumped to 24.9 default rate even though i never skipped a beat. When i was told I am NOW a credit risk, I became IRATE. I vowed that since they were so worried about the business judgments that had nothing to do with CC account, I would address that first and pay them back SEVERAL YEARS LATER, if at all. I have had to live my life now for 7 years of horrible credit, and all the usual consequences that happen when you stop paying bills. I even have one of those 500 dollar credit limit with a 60 dollar annual fee cards as my only cc now. (complete joke but better than nothing)

I still have one low dollar property in my name that I use for a rental, so its not considered my residence. I was fortunate enough to have a family member buy the note and become first in line for the mortgage. I dont pay them, so they could foreclose at any time since they are now the bank for that house. The house i live in, I rent from family. And it will be willed to me AND a sibling for later down the road since my rent will of paid for it anyway. I lost my primary residence and first home a few years back to foreclosure. I made the huge mistake of a 15 year mortgage. Not only were the payments suddenly too high with no steady income, but equity would build up too fast. Amongst my several judgments (10 or so) one is for the deficiency on the foreclosure auction. That house by the way, a family member also happened to be at the right place at the right time and bid against the PUBLIC and won. (worry about how all this would look to a trustee even though i didnt move back in)

I think anyone reading gets the general idea of the MESS. Now that the new BK laws came into effect, and the circumstances of the large judgments, i see no sense in filing. I get by through e-commerce and cash. (no real job to garnish) I will always have a roof over my head thanks to my helpful family.

I drive older cars with high mileage and low book values that I am able to keep looking great and maintain myself. I dont have cars or insurance in my name anyway. I love not owing on them and they never get boring because there is always something to tinker with under the hood. HA! The IRS has me in a deferred payment status for my obligations with them.
    I was able to keep Uncle Sam happy in all aspects of this case so far, but dread the thoughts of Trustees, Bk judges, etc. I have been dealing with his one problem at a time and dodged a lot of bullets.

Yesterday was one of those days that was another kick in the pants and made me wonder when this will get better. A law firm / collection agency combo is after me for TWO cards that i stopped paying on in 2002. They managed to levy the one and only checking account I was dumb enough to have. Now the bank has froze the account and drew it negative for legal fees and the collection agency gets the 3 bucks i had on deposit. (keeping a balance as low as possible makes being poor more interesting) I think I am on the right track, but a lawyer cant even give me a straight answer since these are not ordinary judgments. (or they know how broke I am) I become confused and nervous and push the problem on the back burner once again. After waiting this long and the magnitude of the bigger debts that WONT go away with BK, should i worry over around 100k in unsecured debt that has already destroyed my credit? I ALMOST let this destroy my life totally and have absolutely nothing to show for my late 20's and early 30's when people should be getting serious about building financial stability. I held off on starting my own family due to this as well. How much damage can the same credit cards I stopped paying 5 years ago, do now? They kicked me when I was down so i completely ignored any attempt they made to work with me. If they were lucky enough to get me on the phone, i would tell them to read my credit report, get a judgment and wait in line. "CLICK"

Speaking of "CLICK" thanks to anyone who has read this far without hitting the X, but this is long enough. Any advice would be appreciated. I cant even afford to go BK right now even if i wanted to. The new laws made it expensive i hear and not always the right thing to do.

WoW...Ok I didn't hit "click"...I did get confused a couple of times.

#1 get car insurance. Not just for a BK or anything like that but (please don't take this wrong) it is irresponsible not to have it. You will need it for BK too. You have beaters, it will be cheap.

I think I would geton the phone and start calling major business BK attorneys to discuss your situation. Who helped you with your judgements? (Court etc.)

You did not say what your annual income is. (Maybe i missed it...)
    Filed!!04/23/2008[X] 341 5/27/2008[X]Converted to asset case 5/26/2008 [X]
    DISCHARGE 08/12/2008[X]
    Converted to NO Asset case 12/15/2008[X]
    Closed 12/16/2008 [X]:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

Oh, poor you (the OP), you have to drive an 'older car' with high miles and survive on a $500 credit card. That is the penalty of bad credit & not paying on time.

I have high credit card debt, but I am taking responsibility & not so eager to stiff creditors in BK and a month later coming back to see how I can get new credit for a new vehicle & more credit cards.

I am sorry, but reading this board is sickening. People with good incomes (some in the six figures) want to file BK because of their own 'situation' and then want to know how to get a new vehicle.

Also, you are in NY. There is something called the subway which millions of people use each day.

Comment

dkNY...Honestly in my personal opinion, you are just prolonging the inevitable by not dealing with your situation at this point. Continuing to put it on the back burner due to confusion or bad advice is not going to make it go away. I would suggest you seek out several bk attornies to have free consultations if anything. Just to see where you stand.

To Nal123...simple solution if you are so sickened by reading this board. Don't read it...the X in the right corner is the door. I'm sure you know how to use it.
        "Try to save money. Someday it may be valuable again." - Anonymous

Comment

I agree with BKTango, seek out the free consults and see what they say

Also, to PP, just because he lives in NY doesn't necessarily mean NYC, I live in NY and am no where near a subway system

Comment

Originally posted by NAL123 View Post
            Oh, poor you (the OP), you have to drive an 'older car' with high miles and survive on a $500 credit card. That is the penalty of bad credit & not paying on time.

I have high credit card debt, but I am taking responsibility & not so eager to stiff creditors in BK and a month later coming back to see how I can get new credit for a new vehicle & more credit cards.

I am sorry, but reading this board is sickening. People with good incomes (some in the six figures) want to file BK because of their own 'situation' and then want to know how to get a new vehicle.

Also, you are in NY. There is something called the subway which millions of people use each day.

Just a reminder: This board should not be used to pass judegement on other people.
            sigpicPersevere: "To continue a course of action, in spite of difficulty, opposition or discouragement."

Chapter 13: Discharged 03/15/2010. Closed 05/19/2010::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

Wow, Thanks to all who responded so quick. I am overwhelmed but need to clear up a few quick facts right now. Then I will go back and read everything again, HA!

I am in upstate and nowhere near a subway and the expense of living is low compared to a bigger city.

My living is made by selling widgets online. When its all done its like having a 12 - 15 dollar an hour job after taxes. The more motivated I am, the more money I can make. When the time is right money can be invested into the foundation I built up and things could get way better down the road. I wont deny, I have some real depressing days where I dont want to do anything.

Not having set hours or a boss or a paycheck to have garnished go a long way with me. With no dependents I can be this way and am far more happy like this than i would be with a 6 figure corporate job with more stress added to my life.

The cars are in my parents name, mainly for cheaper insurance. I wouldnt dream of driving with none and risk someone else being hurt by a mistake I made and no way to pay their medical bills.

I am thankful for my cars and in no way am ashamed by them. An older Cadillac with 150k may use more gas, but in my opinion is more reliable than what newer cars will be with far less miles as they wear. That extra 20 bucks a week in gas is better than a car payment. (so many people dont see this when it comes to economy cars) I always get decent cars cheap that need work I can do myself through wholesale sources.

Seriously, thanks for the comments especially the constructive ones. I let the negative ones just bounce off. After some of the conference tables I have had to sit at under the spot light, nobody is going to upset me on here. Until you walk in someones shoes and know all the facts ahead of time, this is the last place anyone should be passing judgment. Its been a long road, and its far from over. But I have a feeling I will learn a lot here and hopefully be able to help others . No matter how discouraged you feel, others have been there and got through it. I just thought that after the clock ticked this long, the guys at the bottom of the judgment ladder would of given up. There is really nothing they can take, but I dont know how much uglier I want things to get.

Comment

Originally posted by BKTango View Post
                To Nal123...simple solution if you are so sickened by reading this board. Don't read it...the X in the right corner is the door. I'm sure you know how to use it.
                I couldn't agree more..........

GEEZ Nal123.......................who died and made you GOD anyways?

Don't get sick on our account, see ya!

DKNY - Keep your chin up, and keep coming here to vent, etc...........
                It seems as though your situation is pretty complicated, and probably your questions are best addressed by consults with a few attorneys. Sounds like you are ready to come face to face with a really difficult situation, and deal with it the best way you can. IMO it takes some real courage to do so, so keep your chin up and keep posting. We can at least offer morale support if nothing else.

Most of us here (myself included) are actually real human beings and certainly not infallable. Don't think too many of us should be "casting the first stone" if you know what I mean!

Hang in there!!!!!!!!
                Last edited by krielly; 01-11-2008, 11:36 AM.
                You can't have your cake and eat it too. But you can dip your finger in the bowl and lick the icing

Comment

Typical troll. What you would expect from someone that makes a living on praying on the misfortune of others. Frankly, I have more respect for leeches.

Ok by a show of hands, who thinks this scumbag works for either Asset, NCO, or LVNV?

Comment

I remember your other postings about your bad financial situation. It is great that you are trying to take care of your credit card debts without bankruptcy. I remember you mentioned that you were single and had an over the median income. I tried for so many years to pay down debts and it just kept getting worse until BK was the only option. Even some of our collection calls told us that we really should file for BK. When we finally actually retained our lawyer this week, I tearfully asked him if he thought this was our only option and he said, "Oh yeah!" It makes me cry to even think about it, but I am relieved in a way. Our debt situation has been going on for nearly ten years and my nerves are shot and my hair is rapidly going grey. However, we are doing Chapter 7. You would probably have to do Chapter 13 with your income, so it is probably better to try to handle it on your own first and see how you do. That way if you ever do have to actually file BK in the future, you'll know that you did everything you possibly could to avoid it first. Good luck to you.

dkNY, it sounds like you are having a real rough time of it. I'm in NY too. Most BK lawyers give free consultations. Maybe you could just talk to a few for free and they may have some good suggestions for you. We thought our lawyer was going to be stern with us for getting in so deep with credit card debt, but he wasn't judgemental at all. It sounds like your major problems occurred so long ago when you were much younger.
                    Last edited by Lindsay; 01-11-2008, 12:42 PM.

Comment

To dkNY I agree with others here. Go see several bankruptcy attorneys for consultations. You will learn alot about your options. Hiding from this problem won't make it go away. It is time to deal with what can be dealt with head on so that you can start leading a productive life and move forward.

To those responding to NAL123 - Please don't feed the troll.
                      Last edited by JollyGG; 01-11-2008, 01:49 PM.
                      Filed: 10/26/2006
                      Discharged: 03/05/2007
                      Closed: 5/19/2008 - Asset case due to balance transfer and income tax refund

Comment

Thanks again everyone. I just learned that the two huge judgments will not become civil, for 3 more years. They are currently still in a criminal status because the court is supervising the mandatory repayment plan. I am still surprised that little guys like 3rd party collection agencies would waste time and money on levies and judgments when they see the much larger dollar amounts and government agencies listed ahead of them. (case was federal) I am sure that getting that levy cost them more than the 3 dollars they were able to freeze on me. Trust me, there wont be any more accounts they can access.

The big guys worked with me fine and even took away the interest. I take full responsibility for that debt and will be paying on it for years to come I am sure. Its the parasite collection agencies starting to come up from the drains that are causing my problems now. One lawyer did not see the sense so far to do a BK. since there are no assets to protect. It just gets old trying to make everyone happy from crap that happened 7 years ago as well as keep up with my current living expenses. Everyone agrees, including attorneys that this is a complex situation. Maybe someone will read who has heard of a similar situation. If nothing else, it may cheer up other people who read these threads and make them realize their situation could be worse.

Comment

NAL, I can only be pleased that this board makes you sick. If anything I write adds to that misery and nausea, bonus for me.

dkNY, I read your post all the way to the end. I see your point about being judgement proof and having to re-evaluate the situation. I think what's happening is that these old unsecured debts are approaching the statute of limitations, so that those creditors pretty much have to sue now or forever hold their peace.

I think you have a good grasp of what elements are at play here. If I read it right, the undischargeable debt (the two criminal judgements?) you have already been paying and will continue to pay, and you're okay with that. But there is other debt that is dischargeable which comprises the majority of your total indebtedness, including other judgements. And now you're seeing fresh creditor activity on some of that which is more or less able to make your life a living hell, depending on which of your phone #s they have. And it will not stop there; I have a feeling you will shortly enter the world of zombie debt, where these old accts get bought and sold over and over again for pennies on the dollar, and they all want a piece of you. That, and your credit is already thoroughly and completely shot; there is no way to rescue it short of bk, plus a few more years after bk when accts start dropping off entirely and the only trade lines showing are actually decent.

My own opinion (and I'm no attorney, so take it with a grain) is that if I were in your shoes, I would take the undischargeable debt out of the equation because it is simply not a factor anyway. You're paying it, period.

Outside of that, you have no assets in your name, plenty of dischargeable debt, and it doesn't sound like any of the deals with relatives were recent. In addition, the deal with your relative showing up at the auction is probably not even relevant, because they bought it from the bank, not from you (foreclosure sale) and you could not have colluded, other than letting them know the sale was on. I'm not sure I'd even list that transaction if it were older than 2 years; you personally did not profit from it directly in any way. There were other bidders; the house would have sold without your relative.

I think that because you have already waited so long, you have created an excellent case for Ch7. The fraud part is already dealt with, and there are no *recent* questionable transactions, etc. If you declare bk now, all you have to do with any future creditor is wave a copy of your discharge, and you're done. You can also take that discharge down to whatever courthouse has your judgements and do a motion to vacate: those judgements are gone. To me, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain by going Ch7.

The only exception to this is that maybe if you wait 3 more years those two huge judgements will become dischargeable? Not sure how going from criminal to civil works with that, but since you're okay with paying it and had counted on paying it in full anyway (esp since there are no fees, etc) I don't see how you gain very much by waiting any longer.

A bk is going to look a lot better on your credit than a million little accts in collection. Also, once you bk, the juggling is over. The guessing is over. The planning is over. The waiting for the other shoe to drop is over. It really is a fresh start. You can actually walk forward with nothing but those two judgements to worry about, which are pretty much set in stone with no surprises, and actually think about rebuilding your credit. You can actually own something in your own name (not sure you'd want to, but you could). You would have your utilities and rent, these two non-dischargeable judgements, and that's all. Sounds a hell of a lot better than what you have now.

I know you're scum of the earth to other people you've met, but I'm sorry, it takes more of a man to stand in place, take the hits, and pay the debts than it does to shake fingers at others. You didn't have to stay and do the right thing, but you did. If your finances were at one point in the seven figures, then certainly you had the option of setting up a new life in Antigua or the Dominican Republic. But you didn't take it. For that, you have my respect.

At this point in your life, I think the term of your "jail sentence" (this never ending load of debt) is very much in your hands, and you can write it longer or shorter as you wish. You seem to have a conscience. If that's true, you've had punishment enough. Plus, you're paying back your debt to society (the criminal judgements) quite literally, which is more than the vast majority of criminals ever do. The benefits of waiting on bk are dwindling, as far as I can tell, and the benefits of filing are increasing, especially as more of your old debts move toward their SOL and creditors start filing for judgements. So my opinion is, get your tax return in hand for 2007 so you can apply it to your non-dischargeable debt, and file Ch7. I don't think you'll regret it.

Good luck!!!

P.S. I think your biggest challenges with Chapter 7 are going to be U.S. Trustee involvement (seems inevitable, given the scope of everything) and finding an attorney who is actually willing and ABLE to navigate you through this. On the plus side, I think everything you went through 7 years ago is going to work for you, because the disposition of your assets, etc is already a matter of public record: no need to provide additional proof of where all the money went. Outside of creditor activity, your indebtedness has remained fairly static, and I think that works very much in your favor.
                          Last edited by FreshLikeADaisy; 01-12-2008, 02:01 PM. Reason: added P.S.
                          Nolo Press book on filing Chapter 7, there are others too. (I have no affiliation with Nolo Press; just a happy customer.) Best wishes to you!

Comment

dkNY, here's a link to Form 7, Statement of Financial Affairs. Even if you are not filling out the forms yourself, this is the standard form for Ch7 in terms of lookback periods (how far they want to go back in terms of transfers, sales, etc.) and I think you will find it informative. It's actually pretty cut and dried, and what they REALLY want to know is if you have any assets they can tap. Because of the complexity of your situation, they may want more info, but I'm guessing it won't go back as far or as deep as you may think. Anyway, take a look: http://www.uscourts.gov/rules/BK_For..._007_1207f.pdf
                            Last edited by FreshLikeADaisy; 01-12-2008, 02:09 PM. Reason: spelling
                            Nolo Press book on filing Chapter 7, there are others too. (I have no affiliation with Nolo Press; just a happy customer.) Best wishes to you!

Comment

Daisy, I cant thank you enough. That answer was so helpful and non-judgmental. My attitude about paying this back is exactly why I am not rotting away someplace now. I have no complaints with the U.S aspects of the case, only that it took them 4 years to decide what to do with me while i was dodging bullets from creditors and trying to live with no money. Even in the "martha stewart" (received nearly identical, 2 phase sentence as her) chapter of the case I was treated with respect and never handcuffed or plastered on the front page of a newspaper. All of the things that scared me the most never happened. It was nearly identical to reporting to the Army on a scheduled date.

Some people may read between the lines of some of my posts and sense a "screw the creditors" attitude. That is not the case but I am just getting tired of the game. I get through all the scary stuff, and now have the "pennies on a dollar" parasites stirring up the pot again on a stupid store charge card or gym membership. I am at the point now where i just have fun with the people when they call if i decide to answer the "fax line" i set up just for them. Letting them know I am at the number prevents them from calling the whole zip code to find me.

You sure hit the nail on the head about my case being complex. There are several other good points you made as well and I appreciate you taking the time for such a detailed response.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X