My CLOSED bank account RE-OPENED!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My CLOSED bank account RE-OPENED!!!

Just to add more injury to my already bad situation, my checking account that I thought I closed over a week ago has been re-opened!

Apparently, if one has automatic debit arranged, it will go through and re-open the account that had been closed. I had no idea that such a thing could happen!

Now i'm amassing insufficient funds fees and the bank is actually paying some of them creating a greater negative balance!

I can't believe that I am unable to simply close my own bank account! I've spoken with customer service at bank and repeatedly told them my story and they don't seem to be doing anything about the obvious. Man o man, what headache!

Any suggestions? Are bank fees dischargeable?
    Last edited by newbeginning; 01-18-2008, 02:15 AM.
    Filed: April 2009
    341 Meeting: April 28, 2009
    Discharge: July 1, 2009

list them in your Bk and open up a another bank account before you hit the chexsystems. There are ways around it but it makes it more difficult.

Comment

Go to the bank and tell the ACH (automatic debit) was unauthorized and they should send it back to the creditor then you'll have to deal with that person. Typically, if you close an account, the auto debit should "bounce" back to the creditor, because the account status should be closed. Go argue with the customer service rep at the bank, make sure you keep saying that I closed this account and nothing should be clearing through it. Be stern but polite, and that should get it taken care of, and if not, keep repeating that that was not authorized so I don't see how I should be accountable for it. They should then fix it just to get you to go away.
      Filed Ch 7 2/21/08
      Discharged 6/5/08!!!!

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."~ Roger Caras

Comment

Man I can understand your situation...Was with Wells Fargo and had 4 debits to hit in 3 days. Demanded they shut account, but 2 debts slipped through and so they said "Oh, we CAN'T close the account as you owe US $900" My reply was "I came in 2 days ago and closed it"

"Sorry, but THAT'S OUR RULES!" was their reply...

Last time (About 2 years ago now) the account was $2,600+ overdrawn and I would take their calls and restate I closed it 2 days before debits hit, but since THEY couldn't close it, they could simply watch it climb as I no longer cared and they'd not done the right thing in rejecting those debits.

I've never heard anything since about it and when I do the bk boogie, I'll make sure to list them (JIC) for good measure.

Oh, I have a checking account with 2 banks (and savings also but they are low) and so if I was on chexsystem, they didn't show anything negative.

Comment

Newbeginning, woohoogirl is right; fight them on this, especially if you have anything in writing that says you closed the account. Also, if you have time, it would not be a bad idea to send them a certified letter, return receipt requested, reiterating that you closed the account on ___ date and that any charges, fees, debits etc on the account after that date are unauthorized. State it as a fact and offer no further argument in your letter. If you have an attorney they may be willing to help you with this as well. Good luck!!!
          Nolo Press book on filing Chapter 7, there are others too. (I have no affiliation with Nolo Press; just a happy customer.) Best wishes to you!

Comment

Had personal experience with a credit card and a checking account. There is some law that protects businesses from consumers playing games.

Many years ago I used a cc to enroll in some AOL Auto program, one of those "free" for 30 days things I cancelled before month was over then closed card later that year only to get a bill months later when AOL attempted to bill again. I talked to several people at the cc and they told me it was law.

Then a few years later I closed a checking account without realizing I had a check outstanding. Bank paid it and demanded the money and an nsf fee. I argued they should have returned check. Think they dropped the nsf fee. Again I talked to people at the bank, its some law.

Comment

I don't understand why the bank will pay debits if the account has no money in it? Wouldn't that be like bouncing a check? Or is there overdraft coverage on these checking accounts? I'd go talk to a supervisor at the bank and demand some answers. That is crazy that they reopened your closed checking account.

When collection agencys call and want me to do a check by phone and I say that I can't, do they want me to let them do it (even if I have no money in the account), the bank will pay anyway and I'll owe the bank?

Comment

Had to go in and do it again! Spoke with 20 customer service agents of various rank and expertise and all they could say was, "sorry, but there is nothing we can do." The bank ended up removing the fees, but the payments already made had to come out of my pocket. It ended up being $67 against me.

The second time i did it, i got this form indicating that my account was closed. I didn't get this the first time. Also, it turns out that the teller alone is not authorized to close the account. She needs to get a manager or someone authorized, this didn't happen the first time. The bank says that i should have been informed that it would take 3-5 business days to officially close- i wasn't. So, in the meantime, a couple of automatic debits came through reopening my account.

I will talk to bank again about all of this on tuesday.
                Filed: April 2009
                341 Meeting: April 28, 2009
                Discharge: July 1, 2009

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
                  I don't understand why the bank will pay debits if the account has no money in it? Wouldn't that be like bouncing a check? Or is there overdraft coverage on these checking accounts? I'd go talk to a supervisor at the bank and demand some answers. That is crazy that they reopened your closed checking account.

When collection agencys call and want me to do a check by phone and I say that I can't, do they want me to let them do it (even if I have no money in the account), the bank will pay anyway and I'll owe the bank?
                  Lindsay, yes, it is like bouncing a check if you authorize the debit KNOWING the acct will be closed, but legally it's a grey area so as far as I know, you'll only have fees out the wazoo instead of a sheriff's deputy knocking on your door. Mostly what happens is what Newbeginning described; the debits were authorized BEFORE the accountholder decided to close the account.

The collectors would LOVE for you to make an authorization anyway, because the bounce is not on them: they have their money and that's what they want no matter what it costs you. But it WILL cost you, so tell 'em no. You can discharge the debt in bk, but... it's just not worth it, no matter what the collector wants. Good luck!!!
                  Nolo Press book on filing Chapter 7, there are others too. (I have no affiliation with Nolo Press; just a happy customer.) Best wishes to you!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X