Bad time to buy tires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad time to buy tires?

I'm seriously considering filing ch 7 bk, I'm meeting with a lawyer in 2 weeks. Meanwhile, my Nissan really needs tires, it's a safety issue that I worry about for my wife and kids. So, I found out that I can qualify for a $600 credit card from a national tire company, and get the tires. I don't have any other credit options.

Would it be a big mistake to buy tires now?

I wonder what the president & the kooks running for that office have to say about that?

If I needed new tires I would be getting new tires. In fact that is exactly what I did in August. I had one tire with a slow leak & one that picked up a huge screw...went down to Sears (that I hate) I had them put 5 new tires on.

Yes NEW ones, not used ones like I usually get.

You have to seriously do what is best for you in the long run & I know how hard that is because we start scratching, biting, kicking, anything to survive- because we are afraid at times & don't know what to do, I know.

Comment

the worst is that they will object when you file and you will have to pay them back -
      Filed Chapter 7 Pro-Se May 29, 2008
      341 July 1, 2008
      Discharged September 4, 2008
      Closed November 10, 2008 :-)

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

If they object, would they be saying that this was a "luxury" purchase? Or are there other grounds that they could use?

We need the tires, so if I just have to pay as part of the process that's fine with me. I just need to buy them on credit now, and I don't want to get into hot water over this.

Comment

Cant you get a set of re-treds? Do they even sell them any more? They are usually fairly inexpensive. We used to buy re-treds all the time.
          Not all those who wander are lost....

--J. R. R. Tolkien

Comment

Originally posted by asmithfamily View Post
            I'm seriously considering filing ch 7 bk, I'm meeting with a lawyer in 2 weeks. Meanwhile, my Nissan really needs tires, it's a safety issue that I worry about for my wife and kids. So, I found out that I can qualify for a $600 credit card from a national tire company, and get the tires. I don't have any other credit options.

Would it be a big mistake to buy tires now?
            Technically, what you are considering is fraud since you know you might be considering BK.

That being said, however, if you are going to get the tires, get them now, before you meet with the lawyer. Your creditor would have a much easier time proving that you got them with no intention of paying them back (fraud) if you have already started the BK ball rolling.

And tires are not a luxury item. They are a necessity, unless you are including some bling bling rims or the like.

EP
            California Bankruptcy Central

Comment

Originally posted by One Half Full View Post
              Cant you get a set of re-treds? Do they even sell them any more? They are usually fairly inexpensive. We used to buy re-treds all the time.
              Actually, it isn't worth effort anymore.
              The cost of re-treds has risen so dramatically in the last 5-10 years that it doesn't make much sense to go that route for most tire sizes.

I mean, we are talking about $50 on up for each tire when looking at re-treds now.
              7/01/10 - filed!
              11/20/10 - discharged and closed

Comment

I agree with your rationale...safety first. If your tires blow out and you died on the way to a 341 hearing...what is the point int he first place!

Get some good digital photos of yoiur current bad tires, or just save one of the worst to offer proof they were a real safety problem...or have the place where you are buying tires document the safety need. Then, if questioned, you have proof.

Comment

If they have to do the documenting they may start to wonder what you need that for... what you are asking is straight fraud.

Comment

hmmm, fraud? My intent is to buy tires on credit, not steal tires from a store. As of today I don't know if I will go through with, much less qualify for, ch 7. And even if it does go through, at the monthly payment for $600 total I'll be able to reaffirm this debt and pay them off, if it comes to that.

I can't say what the future holds, but I have to live my life today in whatever way I can to get by.

Comment

Shop around for your tires. Most places will try to outprice each other. Make sure you go to a place that will rotate and balance for free for the life of the tire. Otherwise, you'll be incurring additional expenses when you have to rotate/balance.

$600 is alot for tires. What kind of car do you drive? How old is it? Are you getting more tire than you need? Depending on how long you plan to hold on to your vehicle, you may be able to get by with middle of the road tires, vs. top of the line.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. It's an Xterra with 16" wheels, that pushes the price up for sure. I'm looking at getting the tread life road hazard warranty, with adds $80 but means that I should be >50,000 miles use out of them. I've been reading consumer reports and other online reviews.

I just want to do what's best here. And, since this car is going to have to last for awhile, I think it's worth maintaining it well. We also live in a snowy & icy climate, the thing has been all over thr road lately.

Comment

techinically, anything you buy on credit once you have decided to file is fraud, BUT if I were you I"d put safety first and buy the tires. VERY doubtful it would ever come up and if it did they woud just object. The burden of proof would be on them because its not a luxury item.
                          Chapter 7 Pro Se....Discharged Feb. 2006

Comment

Originally posted by asmithfamily View Post
                            hmmm, fraud? My intent is to buy tires on credit, not steal tires from a store. As of today I don't know if I will go through with, much less qualify for, ch 7. And even if it does go through, at the monthly payment for $600 total I'll be able to reaffirm this debt and pay them off, if it comes to that.

I can't say what the future holds, but I have to live my life today in whatever way I can to get by.
                            Woah, not accusing you of theft. Just saying that in the down and dirty reality of BK, that is (clinically, legally) fraud....I'm just sayin........

I understand the need to get by. Done some things myself that I won't even disclose.

I wanted to reaffirm a couple of debts but my lawyer told me that I cannot reaffirm an unsecured debt. Damn it.

EP
                            California Bankruptcy Central

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X