HELOC question for a friend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELOC question for a friend

We don't personally have a HELOC, so I can't answer this question for her, so I thought maybe you'd know.

If you file bankruptcy, and have a HELOC, will the bank go after the house if you try to keep it?
    CJ
    341 on 8/3, determined NO ASSET
    60 day wait was over on 10/3/08. Discharged 12/23/08

I'm trying to understand the question. Is the perosn filing chapter 7? Heloc is a secured debt. More than likely, she will be responsible for the debt if her intentions are to keep the house and she'll have to reaffirm on that debt.

I'm not a lawyer but work for one doing chapter 7's
    Get copy of Bankruptcy Records

Comment

I guess her plan would be to file Ch7 and keep the house(I don't know why, she can't afford it - but that's another story). I figured she's still be responsible for the credit line since it's secured, but I wanted to ask to see if anyone here knows.

Thanks!
      CJ

Comment

If she plans on keeping the house and is current on payments than no the bank should not go after the house as she is current on her payments.
        Chp 7 Filled 2-21-08
        341 Hearing 3-24-08

Comment

It's unfortunate your friend is trying to keep a home that is beyond her means. Once she files, if the home overwhelms her financially she can't use bankruptcy to wipe out the mortgage deficits. Hopefully you can discuss this and show the error of her ways.

It's hard when emotions are involved - it's tough to see a home with memories and dreams as just a financial decision. This is one of the reasons why the mortgage crisis reached the proportions it has. People do anything to get into a home and keep it, even when it's not in their best financial interests in the long run.
          Last edited by lrprn; 03-24-2008, 09:16 PM.
          I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
          06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
          07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
          10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
          01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
          09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
          06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
          08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
          Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

My HELOC is one of the debts I reaffirmed in my BK.
            Filed Ch. 7 June 14, 2007
            341 Meeting July 19, 2007
            Discharged September 17, 2007
            Closed September 17, 2007

Comment

I was pretty sure she would still be responsible for it; but I told her I'd ask.

I was confused when she asked me, because she really doesn't HAVE any debt besides the house and HELOC. So I have NO idea what she's talking about. She's had the house on the market for over 6m and of course the market sucks so she hasn't had any luck.

I really don't know what she's thinking.
              CJ

Comment

Hey. Why is she doing bankruptcy if she doesn't really have any debts. If it was me, I'd get out and rent. I see people everyday in the office getting into new homes within one year of discharge. So there is hope after bk. Tell her good luck!
                Get copy of Bankruptcy Records

Comment

I wish I knew! I can't really ask her because it's my mother-in-law so I don't want to get too nosy, as I'm sure you understand. She seems to think she'll be able to get a house right away, she's just not in reality right now.

She's one of those people who plays the lottery WAY too much hoping she'll win and everything will be better.

Thanks for the replies. I gave her our atty's info and told her she should go see her sometime soon to get a REAL idea of what she's up against.

Edited to add: She should have sold her house years ago. My father-in-law passed away suddenly about 4 years ago, and since then she's been struggling, especially once the SS stopped on my Sister in law last year when she turned 18. She is currently paying interest only on the mortgage and is STILL going $400+ in the hole every month. I feel for her, I really do because she just wasn't ready to leave the house when she really should have; but now it's completely messing her up. Hopefully she can just find someone to buy the house before Taxes are due this summer (she has NO money put aside for taxes).
                  Last edited by cj0203; 03-25-2008, 06:45 AM.
                  CJ

Comment

This is easy...

In chapter 7, If she want's to keep the house, she has to be current on the HELOC going into the chapter 7, and keep making the payment during and after the BK. If she does not make the payment, the HELOC has the right to foreclose.

Comment

Originally posted by HHM View Post
                      This is easy...

In chapter 7, If she want's to keep the house, she has to be current on the HELOC going into the chapter 7, and keep making the payment during and after the BK. If she does not make the payment, the HELOC has the right to foreclose.
                      That's what I told her. Thanks!
                      CJ

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X