top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not sure where to put this... letter to landlord?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure where to put this... letter to landlord?

We need to find a place to rent since we surrendered the house in the 7. We found a place we LOVE, now we just have to convince the landlord to ignore the bk... no small feet.

I wrote a cover letter to add to the rental app. What do you think? Identifying details have been omitted.

Dear Prospective Landlord,

My husband and I are very interested in your rental property at 123 Main St in Anywhere, USA. While I suspect that after you read our credit history, it would be tempting to immediately toss our rental application into the "circular file," I ask that you please allow me to explain our situation more fully before you make your final decision.

In an effort to offset some of the negatives you will see on the credit report, we are offering to provide a bank check equivalent to 3 month’s rent as a security deposit and first month’s rent for a total of $3,300. We will provide a certified bank check for the indicated amount at the time of lease signing. Although we understand the condo is not scheduled to be ready until May 15th, we are offering to pay one full month’s rent as a gesture of good faith. If you prefer money orders or bank certified checks as rent checks each month, we are happy to comply. Additionally, we are willing to pay more than your asking price for a total monthly rent of $1,100 per month. Finally, if you feel it is necessary for your comfort level, we can arrange for a relative with excellent credit history to co-sign a lease with us. We will provide copies of recent pay-stubs to demonstrate proof of income if desired. Our combined annual gross income is more than $90,000. If you desire any additional information, we will happily comply.

We recently filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy and agreed to surrender our home in the process. We declared Chapter 7 as a result of unexpected and extended unemployment and underemployment, which began in the fall of 2005. While we made all efforts to avoid Chapter 7, it became clear that we needed to file for bankruptcy. It was a difficult decision, but we needed to do what was necessary to provide the best future for our family that we could and become stable contributing members to the economy again. It's been a humbling and humiliating experience and one that we intend never to repeat. One change we have become adamant about is establishing a healthy emergency fund. To that end, we have a budget including the rent amount described above which will enable us to save 20% of our monthly income in a liquid savings account. You will notice that prior to 2006, both of our credit histories were quite good and solid. Recent events are not a true reflection of our overall financial habits and responsibilities.

We have both secured stable, well paying, professional positions. I've been with ABC Organization since September 2006 and my husband was hired at XYZ Organization in October 2007. Both of our positions are professional, steady, and secure. In fact, I was recently promoted to a managerial position in Specific Department after only one and a half years with the organization.

Please let us know if there are any other efforts we can make to assure you that despite what you see on paper, the people who want to live in the home are responsible, reliable, and serious about this commitment.

Thank you for taking the time to read this letter and consider us as tenants. We anxiously await your decision.

Sincerely Yours,
    The XXXX Family, K, L and M.

Any trouble getting your chapter 7 with your high annual gross income? I'm in the same boat, so I'm just asking. Around here in Ohio, I am finding that landlords do not care as long as you have been discharged. They will want a higher security deposit though.
    Filed Ch 7 - January 29th, 2008
    341 - February 29th, 2008
    Discharge - June 20th, 2008
    Closed - October, 2008

Comment

At the time of filing, we were under the median for the previous 6 months. I just got a promotion (like 2 weeks ago) that was more than a $10K/year raise and when DH started the job in Oct. it doubled his income, and since we filed in Jan, we actually came it at $10K below the median in my state of about $75K. We actually won't be discharged until the 25th of the month.

I don't think discharge or not will matter, I pretty much suspect she'll toss the app, letter and all because of the stigma of bk and we haven't had a chance to rebuild the scores. But, I need to try.

Anyway, so we had no issues getting the 7 (knock on wood, but the trustee told us at the 341 he was closing the case, so as long as there are no creditor objections we should be fine), because we were below the median. I think if we tried to file now, we would have to do a 13.
      Last edited by kl030505; 04-06-2008, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Kl030505, have you already spoken in person with the individual making the decision? It's a good letter for the most part, but to me you're much better off skipping the letter and speaking directly with her.

I don't want to be harsh -- please forgive me if I come off that way, I apologize -- but whether in the letter or in person, don't beg and don't apologize. You have a VERY winning case, especially with all the concessions you're making (3 mos rent upfront, higher rent than advertised, etc) and you need NOT be sorry or embarrassed. That's one hell of a good deal you're offering. If this chick is fool enough to pass it up, her loss. Seriously!

If you were to rewrite your letter, I would take out the apologetic tone altogether and make it more of a sales pitch. I would also hold off on upping the rent and keep it back as a negotiating tool; and I would not specifiy 3 mos in advance on the deposit *specifically*, but rather indicate that I was willing to pay a higher deposit, and then use that 3 mos as a negotiating tool.

Honestly, I think you may be selling yourself short here. I don't want to seem critical, because you are incredibly ahead of the game with that thinking! But don't give away the bank: go for in person negotiations, if you are initially declined call up and ask, "What can I do to be approved for this condo? What concessions would you be willing to take in terms of rent and deposit to approve this application?" and negotiate from there. You have NOTHING to be ashamed of. Don't walk in there with your head held low. If you already think they're going to decline your app, then you have nothing to lose and everything to gain by selling your pitch with all the savvy and confidence you can muster.

Your money is every bit as good as anyone else's, and you are offering a SWEET deal. If they walk away, it really is their loss! Negotiate from a position of strength, and I think you'll have better results. Others might have better advice, but that was my first thought on reading your letter.

Good luck!!! I wish you the best!!!
        Nolo Press book on filing Chapter 7, there are others too. (I have no affiliation with Nolo Press; just a happy customer.) Best wishes to you!

Comment

I agree....simplify and shorten the letter. take out the apologies and anything emotionally related. Simply agree to offer first and last and "additional" deposit "if desired". And DO NOT offer over market for the rent. You do not need ti be desperate, with all due repect! There are plenty of landlords willing to work with post bkers, including mine.

We paid first and last plus 250 pet. That's it.

IMO you are putting too much on the table too soon.
          Chapter 7 Pro Se....Discharged Feb. 2006

Comment

I don't have the opportunity to meet in person, they are showing the rental through a real estate agency, so I actually have to fax the letter and rental app to the real estate office who will then pass it off to the owner. If I could meet in person I wouldn't feel the need to do the letter at all.

HOnestly, we are a little desperate. This place is leaps and bounds better than anything else we've seen and the market is tough here. There will be plenty of other people applying for this apt with great credit, there's little incentive for a potential landlord to even read the letter let alone take the risk. Honestly, with high salaries and no debt we are probably a lower risk than others, but people outside this forum feel very differently about bk and what it says about a person. They are wrong of course, we all know that, but I'm not going to convince them of that unless she takes the chance and we pay on time in full every month for several years.

Comment

Oh, I did take out the part about offering more rent than she's asking. It wasn't much more anyway. I am however going to point blank offer a full 3 month's security deposit and then a full month's rent on the 15th. I am not actually "losing" the deposit. It will sit in an interest bearing account, she will pay me the interest each year (by law) and when we move out, we'll have a nice chunk to help cover potential closing costs or something, so I don't mind giving her that security up front, we will get it back.

Comment

Ok, here's another version that cuts out the explanation for the 7 totally, so it is shorter. Thoughts?

Dear Prospective Landlord,

My husband and I are very interested in your rental property at 123 Main St in Anywhere, USA. While I suspect that after you read our credit history, it would be tempting to immediately toss our rental application into the "circular file," I ask that you please allow me to explain our situation more fully before you make your final decision.

In an effort to offset some of the negatives you will see on the credit report, we are offering to provide a bank check equivalent to 3 month’s rent as a security deposit for a total of $X,XXX. We will provide a certified bank check for the indicated amount at the time of lease signing. Upon move in, we will pay one full month’s rent for the month of May. Although we understand the condo is not scheduled to be ready until May 15th, we are offering to pay one full month’s rent as a gesture of good faith. If you prefer money orders or bank certified checks as rent checks each month, we are happy to comply. Finally, if you feel it is necessary for your comfort level, we can arrange for a relative with excellent credit history to co-sign a lease with us. We will provide copies of recent pay-stubs to demonstrate proof of income if desired. Our combined annual gross income is more than $90,000. If you desire any additional information, we will happily comply.

We are both in stable, well paying, professional positions. I've been with ABC Org. since September 2006 and my husband was hired at XYZ Org. in October 2007. Both of our positions are professional, steady, and secure. In fact, I was recently promoted to a managerial position in Specific Department after only one and a half years with the organization.

Please let us know if there are any other efforts we can make to assure you that despite what you see on paper, the people who want to live in the home are responsible, reliable, and serious about this commitment.

Thank you for taking the time to read this letter and consider us as tenants. We anxiously await your decision.

Sincerely Yours,

Comment

I think you need to stop falling inlove with stuff. Lord, it's just a house. Bricks and sticks-just like many milions of others.
                  I'd just move on to the next one. No meed in tying up cash in large security deposits or paying above market rents all over a single solitary house.
                  Guarantee you that you won't be homeless.

Comment

keepmine, you have not seen the alternatives. The only place thus far that has been willing to work with us is an owner occupied duplex with an attack dog (we have a small child) and white supremacy tatoos up and down his arm. We've seen 10 places in the last 2 weeks.

Comment

So, see 12 or 13 or however many places you have to see to find a reasonable home.
                      Part of a successful bk is avoiding making bad financial decicions. You are about to let a rental eat you up.

Comment

I appreciate your concern, but I'm quite confident in our ability to avoid where have been. When you have a little kid, a house is not just sticks and morter. We have to bear in mind her safety too. And I've been looking online for places for 9 months. There are basically 2 kinds of places. Dumps with landlords desperate to get someone in who will work with about anyone in really crappy neighborhoods that will cost a fortune in energy bills and insurance; or decent places to live which do not sit long so landlords have their pick of tenants, but that in the long run will cost less in terms of living costs. The difference in rent between the 2 is nominal at best. Sometimes, there is no difference at all.

Comment

Most everything I thought of has been posted by others already. The only thing I wanted to mention is that most states limit the amount of a security deposit that can be made. It's entirely possible that a three months rent security deposit may be over the limits, so your landlord may be legally unable to accept it. For example, I'm pretty sure Michigan limits the amount of a security deposit to two months rent. Still can't hurt to offer something they can't accept, it shows decent intentions and ability to pay.

Best of luck!
                          Filed: 03/31/08 341: 05/15/08 Discharge: 07/15/08
                          Do yourself a favor. Check everything I say with a bankruptcy attorney. Most attorneys will even provide a free initial consultation. In fact, it's your life, so check everything anyone says (including your attorney) for yourself!

Comment

You might have a conversation with the agent as to what it would take for the landlord to accept your app.

First call the real estate office without giving your name and just ask them what impact a BK would have on a rental app.

You have to find safe housing for your family.
                            It's not what we have in our lives, but who we have in our lives and the quality of those relationships.

Comment

KL, fwiw I really like the second version. Excellent business letter and professional tone, I think.

May I make one last suggestion? Change the second line, "While I suspect that after you read our credit history, it would be tempting to immediately toss our rental application into the "circular file," I ask that you please allow me to explain our situation more fully before you make your final decision."

It's like going door to door selling Girl Scout cookies and saying, "You don't really want any... do you?" when they open the door.

Something along the lines of, "Due to past circumstances, our credit history does not paint a full picture of our current financial means. I would like to take this opportunity to explain exactly what our means are and what we are prepared to offer, because we feel that this property is worth our consideration..." I dunno, you may want different wording, but something that is positive and not negative, that doesn't assume they are going to slam the door in your face.

As I said earlier, you already assume you've lost... so you have absolutely nothing to lose by looking as though you assume you've won. Good luck!!!
                              Nolo Press book on filing Chapter 7, there are others too. (I have no affiliation with Nolo Press; just a happy customer.) Best wishes to you!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X