Truck Tags are due

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Truck Tags are due

I have a 2004 truck that will be taken or given once my Attorney has filed my C7. This month (April '08) the tags are due and I still have the truck, the bank is still waiting for a case number etc...
    So if this take months to complete should I pay for the tags due for 2009? Or should I just wait until I have a case number?
    this truck will not be reaffirmed as I have another car that I am going to get to reaffirm.
    thanks for any info you can give me.
    ps. I am still paying the auto ins. on this vehicle (truck)just in case .

Were it me, I'd park the truck and not pay the tag fee. Also, if you intend to give up the truck anyway, why not just turn it into the lender now and drop the insurance?

Comment

Thanks you it is parked and I have had the truck for 4 years and the dealer in no longer in business in sf bay area.

Comment

Originally posted by scubaman View Post
        Thanks you it is parked and I have had the truck for 4 years and the dealer in no longer in business in sf bay area.
        Doesn't matter who the dealer was. It is the lender you would need to turn the car into.

To ellaborate on what Keep said, you can "park" the truck (meaning you shelf it in your garage or whatever...and don't drive it at all..ever) and you can register it as such (I can't remember the exact termonology but if nobody is driving it and it is stored on your property, you don't need to pay the car registration fee.)

I would not pay the tag fees on a vehicle that I had no intention of driving and had every expectation of losing.

However, if you are still driving the truck, you need to pay your registration and insurance fees.

PS. Those registration fees are not for 2009....that is just the expiration date. It does not go by calendar year. The fees are due whenever your current registration expires and is valid from one year from your pay date. Of course, you may already know this but just want to make sure that you know that if you don't pay the registration by the due date and drive that truck after the April 08 expiration, you are driving with an expired registration.

ep
        Last edited by epiphany; 04-24-2008, 06:13 PM. Reason: added comment
        California Bankruptcy Central

Comment

Just be aware when parking an unregistered and/or untagged vehicle that your city may have zoning laws against it. In my city it's a class C misdemeanor. Of course if the vehicle is parked in a garage or out of sight then that wouldn't be an issue anyway. I hate the thought of a sheriff knocking at any of our doors.
          04/04/08- Notice of deficiency balance due from a repo. 04/18/08- Fico scores w/repo listed: EXP 624, TRAN 610, EQU 610. 04/19/08- Found this forum. 04/24/08- Retained attorney for a chapter 7, filing singly. 5/5/08- Turned in bk paperwork to atty. 5/27/08- Date set for reviewing paperwork.

Comment

You must file a delcaration of non operation and pay a small fee to keep your driver license from being tagged. You cannot renew a driver license if you have deliquent tags.

FYI...you can return a car to any dealership. i.e. a ford to a ford dealership, nissan to a nissan dealership, etc.....at least that is what Ford Motor Credit told me when I wanted to return my car right after I filed.

If you are financed through a bank, then you can return it to the bank.....credit union, to the credit union, etc.

My advice is do not let those tage fees expire unless you formally do something about it and beware of the laws in your city.

Here, where I live they will tow it away and send the owner a nice hefty fine!! My friend just got fined by the city of Las Vegas because one of her tenants had an unregistered car in the driveway of her rental property.

Good luck.
            Chapter 7 Pro Se....Discharged Feb. 2006

Comment

Thanks everyone. It is financed through Wells Fargo. I have to park it on the street.
              and I have until 4/30/08 before I do anything, I can pay for the non use which is around 17 dollars but not sure if it matters. Just another something to worry about.
              This whole situation is so humbling. Again thanks everyone.

Comment

call WF and tell them you want to return it and get an address where to drop it. If you park on the street you will probably get a ticket for having a non operation! It strickly says you cannot be parked on any street.
                Chapter 7 Pro Se....Discharged Feb. 2006

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X