No announcement yet.

Feeling discouraged

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, I am not talking about your current plans. I am talking about getting a new plan from someone else.

Originally posted by pa308 View Post
    So are you saying that even though you may be current on the cell phone that they can make you then come up with a deposit because of your credit report? If that happened could you then cancel the phone and amend to bk the early term fee?

Comment

Originally posted by marcie26 View Post
      Really? The cell phone I mean? I had no idea. We have no home phone though so DH is worried about me getting stranded or something with the kids (which has actually happened before).
      Does anyone know anything about prepaid phones? Are they worth it and do you lose the minutes if not used in a time allotted?
      We use Virgin Mobile and love it.
      Filed 4-21-2008
      7/16- DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

I use 2 systems for the phone comm. I have a TMobile prepaid set up. In itself it could be expensive if you only use the phone. What I do is load 25 bucks on the plan. Then if anyone calls me I call them back from the computer using Yahoo Voice. I use the cell for emergencies only and 99% of the time it's just used as an answering service. If I get a message on the cell I call from the computer to check the voice mail on the cell. Then call them from the computer. I've been on the same $25 on the cell for 3 or 4 months. The computer calls cost .01 versus .10 on the cell. On average this costs me probably $5 a month. It really beats being tied to an expensive monthly plan that you're comitted to. $5 a month versus a monthly bill from a cell and landline. I'm probably saving $80 a month by doing it this way.

Comment

I know my daughter is on a prepaid phone plan and it only cost her $45 a month, I believe it's threw ATT. Could you possibly get a phone while you credit is still good, then once you have it, quit paying the other and then file on them? Shop around and find the best deal? Also how much longer on your plan now? If it's a short time, could you possibly make it til the plan expires and then change it to something you can afford?

My sister in law has a Tracphone which works good for her. We tried that but it got expensive buying the phone cards, but look around some are cheaper then others. Currently we are in a family plan with ATT, 2 phones, 450 minutes, free mobile to mobile, free nights and weekends and it cost us $70 a month, since I am self employed, it is a necessity with the kids. I take a small percentage off on taxes too.

Maybe you could set up your electric and heat on the budget, this way your bill never gets to high. Depends on where you live though, we are in Indiana and our heat bill gets mighty high in the winter and this year we are going to sign up for budget to help us threw next winter.

I know now too their are cheaper home phone services available, you might call and find out what other plans you could find that would make you phone and internet cheaper.

Shop for kids clothes at garage sales and Goodwills, when they are smaller, it's a great way to save money. Even works great with teenagers, just requires lots more looking to find something they will wear. We buy all our clothes that way, both me and DH and both kids. I buy alot that way, household items, you name it, you can find it at a garage sale.

Make a list for the grocery and stick to it, don't impulse shop, that has been the hardest for me. I don't take the kids or DH to the grocery with me anymore, they tend to make me spend way to much.

When my kids were little we had WIC, it helped pay for formula and bought milk and other little extras, it was a huge help. Might see if you qualify for that kind of assistance.

Babysitting in your home is another option. Great way to pick up extra income and keep you home with the little ones.

I hope you find a way, right now I know it's overwhelming, but somehow you will make it threw this.

Good luck
          Last edited by justplaintired; 05-14-2008, 05:03 AM.
          Filed Chapter 7 June 4 ~ 341 July 20 ~Last day of objections Sept 18~Discharged/Closed Sept 21

Comment

When I filed, my lawyer asked me if there were any cell phone contracts that I wanted to get out of. You can include it in the bankruptcy if you are wanting to get rid of the cell phones altogether.
            04/03/2008- Filed for BK CH7-Middle District of FL
            04/04/2008- Found out I have the more "laid back" trustee- the other one is a real bear, I hear. Yay!
            05/06/2008- 341 meeting held

Comment

Thank you everyone for all the helpful information!Our cell phone bill is about $80-$85 each month and that leaves us with lots of minutes so it isn't like it is outrageous, I just don't see it as a necessity like my husband does. I think I might look into watching some kids in my home and possibly waitressing nights when the kids are in bed.

Comment

I tried the prepaid with my kids and it cost more than just having a regular contract.

We have family plan for 4 with Verizon.

Comment

Originally posted by Cali View Post
                  I tried the prepaid with my kids and it cost more than just having a regular contract.

We have family plan for 4 with Verizon.

We tried the prepaid route too and found it was way more expensive. My DH likes talking on the phone ALOT! So we went to a family plan and it's much better.
                  Filed Chapter 7 June 4 ~ 341 July 20 ~Last day of objections Sept 18~Discharged/Closed Sept 21

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X