Feeling discouraged

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feeling discouraged

I haven't even filed yet, but I have been trying to hash out a budget. How the heck do ya do it? Honestly, short of living in a friggin cardboard box, I don't see how it is possible. We got rid of our cable and I would like to get rid of the cell phones, but that costs over $300 per phone to cancel service before our contract is up. With JUST the necessary expenses like house, car ins, student loan, gas, electric, water, there is NO money left for groceries, medical, gas to get to just work, diapers, etc. If we filed on our house also that might help, but just a little, then there is the issue of trying to find a place to rent that is decent for a family of five. Other than that the only other thing I can think of to get rid of is our life insurance, but then of course, if we die, our kids will have nothing

So, where can I get some help budgeting?

I would pay for groceries before I paid for house. And as for the cell phone, you can include that in your BK.

Comment

Originally posted by Cali View Post
      I would pay for groceries before I paid for house. And as for the cell phone, you can include that in your BK.
      Really? The cell phone I mean? I had no idea. We have no home phone though so DH is worried about me getting stranded or something with the kids (which has actually happened before).
      Does anyone know anything about prepaid phones? Are they worth it and do you lose the minutes if not used in a time allotted?

Comment

I'm not sure about prepaid phones, but be careful who you file bk on. Later on down the road, they could require you to pay a big deposit.
        Filed Chapter 7 (Primarily Business Expenses) 04/10/2008 FICO 468 :cry:
        341 on 05/06/08:unsure:House appraisal on day 63:blink: 07/10/2008 Discharged-Asset Case!!!:yahoo:08/09 Transu 559, Equifax 636, Experian 647
        Case Closed 07/15/2009 :D:yahoo:

Comment

If you can't afford to pay the cell phone, then you should stop paying it. Then when you file you can file against them.

And even if you don't file against them, some companies will require a dep because of your credit/credit report(BK public, IIBK accts).

Originally posted by southernbelle View Post
          I'm not sure about prepaid phones, but be careful who you file bk on. Later on down the road, they could require you to pay a big deposit.
          Last edited by Cali; 05-13-2008, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Do you know anyone who might be willing to take over the remainder of your cell phone plans? We had to take my teenage son's phone away at the end of last year and when I called to cancel the rep advised me if I could find someone to take over the plan, and sign the financial responsibility form for the remainder of the contract, I could simply hand over the phone, and avoid the early termination fee. They also changed the phone number for the recipient at no charge.
            Might be worth checking into......
            You can't have your cake and eat it too. But you can dip your finger in the bowl and lick the icing

Comment

Originally posted by southernbelle View Post

That was one of my concerns also. I guess I should just start looking into working nights while the kids are in bed.I would hate to get rid of it and then have a really hard time getting another one in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by krielly View Post
                Do you know anyone who might be willing to take over the remainder of your cell phone plans? We had to take my teenage son's phone away at the end of last year and when I called to cancel the rep advised me if I could find someone to take over the plan, and sign the financial responsibility form for the remainder of the contract, I could simply hand over the phone, and avoid the early termination fee. They also changed the phone number for the recipient at no charge.
                Might be worth checking into......
                I don't know of anyone - my parents, sister, etc all already have their own plans. Def worth me thinking about though - maybe someone will come to mind.

Comment

I love my Virgin Mobile Cell Phone plan. I am not a big talker so really only use it for emergencies or to tell someone I will be late or whatever..necessity only. I only pay 20.00 every three months and yes the minutes roll over. There is even a thirty day grace so if you forget to pay on the due date, the phone will shut off but you can just go to the website and pay and it will turn right back on.

And there is no contract so never any cancellation fees.

If you are a talker, this plan is not for you as the usage fees are steep...I think it's 25 cents for the first 10 minutes of the day and ten cents a minute after that. I have a couple hundred dollars worth of minutes......wish I could cash it in!

In any case, you can't afford to be without some type of phone, especially since you have kids. I wouldn't chance that if I were you.

ep
                  California Bankruptcy Central

Comment

Originally posted by epiphany View Post
                    I love my Virgin Mobile Cell Phone plan. I am not a big talker so really only use it for emergencies or to tell someone I will be late or whatever..necessity only. I only pay 20.00 every three months and yes the minutes roll over. There is even a thirty day grace so if you forget to pay on the due date, the phone will shut off but you can just go to the website and pay and it will turn right back on.

And there is no contract so never any cancellation fees.

If you are a talker, this plan is not for you as the usage fees are steep...I think it's 25 cents for the first 10 minutes of the day and ten cents a minute after that. I have a couple hundred dollars worth of minutes......wish I could cash it in!

In any case, you can't afford to be without some type of phone, especially since you have kids. I wouldn't chance that if I were you.

ep
                    I have never heard of that plan before, but it would be great for me- I hate talking on the phone - it is my husband that is the talker. I cringe if the phone even rings (even before the credit card companies started calling)

Comment

Originally posted by marcie26 View Post
                      So, where can I get some help budgeting?
                      From a credit counseling place. They can help online, over the phone, or in person.
                      04/04/08- Notice of deficiency balance due from a repo. 04/18/08- Fico scores w/repo listed: EXP 624, TRAN 610, EQU 610. 04/19/08- Found this forum. 04/24/08- Retained attorney for a chapter 7, filing singly. 5/5/08- Turned in bk paperwork to atty. 5/27/08- Date set for reviewing paperwork.

Comment

I have never heard of that plan before, but it would be great for me- I hate talking on the phone - it is my husband that is the talker. I cringe if the phone even rings (even before the credit card companies started calling)

Switch to Boost Mobile wireless phone service. Save up to 50% on your first month of service.

ep
                        California Bankruptcy Central

Comment

I haven't even filed yet, but I have been trying to hash out a budget. How the heck do ya do it? Honestly, short of living in a friggin cardboard box, I don't see how it is possible. ... So, where can I get some help budgeting?
                          The problem isn't your budgeting, it's that you don't have enough income coming in to support your family of five and still keep everything you have in place now.

Frankly there's a limited number of things you can do after filing that help with this situation - 1. Make more income; 2. Reduce expenses; and/or 3. Surrender secured assets to reduce your overall debt load.

You've already had some great ideas about reducing expenses - good for you! However, from what you are telling us, reducing expenses alone won't be enough on its own and surrendering your home won't free up much extra money.

Most find that the least difficult option overall is to pick up part-time work to increase the family income stream. However, that's a real challenge when you have kids - but you may have no choice for the short-term.

What other options do you and your husband have? Time to get creative!

Can you do child care in your home so you can still be with your children and make some extra at the same time? Can you or your husband pick up a part-time job in the evenings or on the weekends? Even 10-15 extra hours a week by either one of you could make a big difference.

Others will stop by to share great ideas too. Hang in there - there can be light at the end of this dark tunnel.
                          I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice nor a statement of the law - only a lawyer can provide those.

06/01/06 - Filed Ch 13
                          06/28/06 - 341 Meeting
                          07/18/06 - Confirmation Hearing - not confirmed, 3 objections
                          10/05/06 - Hearing to resolve 2 trustee objections
                          01/24/07 - Judge dismisses mortgage company objection
                          09/27/07 - Confirmed at last!
                          06/10/11 - Trustee confirms all payments made
                          08/10/11 - DISCHARGED !

10/02/11 - CASE CLOSED
                          Countdown: 60 months paid, 0 months to go

Comment

Thanks, I am working right now and my husband already works Monday-Saturday. His job has him sick all the time and I really can't have him working anymore than he already does or else he will end up in the hospital. Once I quit my job I am going to sell on ebay and try to start up my photography business, but neither of those are going to be steady incomes. If we could refinance our house that would help a lot - the rate right now is 9 or 10%!!! I am thinking of maybe waitressing nights. Around here you don't make much, but I guess any bit will help.

Comment

Originally posted by Cali View Post
                              And even if you don't file against them, some companies will require a dep because of your credit/credit report(BK public, IIBK accts).
                              So are you saying that even though you may be current on the cell phone that they can make you then come up with a deposit because of your credit report? If that happened could you then cancel the phone and amend to bk the early term fee?
                              pa308 (equifax fico 6-21 471) 594 on 3-09 671 7-09
                              filed ch7 6-12
                              341 7-25
                              Discharged and closed 9-24

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X