Did I mess up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did I mess up?

I have a credit card at a bank where my old checking accounts are at. I have new accounts set up at a new bank. I just hadn't had a chance to close the old ones out yet. When I left from dropping off my paperwork at the lawyers office I took a wrong turn, to get back to going the right way I cut through the mall. Wouldn't you know it there was a branch of the bank where my old accounts are at. Without giving it alot of thought I swung in went in and closed an account. I know I need to call the lawyers office Monday and tell them to change the account from open to closed on the filing papers, but, now I'm wondering, did I do anything wrong? At this point should I have just let this account be?
    The future is unwritten. J.S.

Did you declare the account when you filed?
    Golden Jubilee was a year-long celebration held every 50 years in which all bondmen were freed, mortgaged lands were restored to the original owners, and land was left fallow: Lev. 25:8-17

Comment

Oldrocker, have you filed yet, or were you just giving your atty the initial paperwork? If you haven't actually filed with the court yet, just call the atty's office and let them know of the change in status.

If there was very little money in the accts (less than, say, $20) and closing them was more of an administrative move than a financial one on your part, and you have already filed, you could actually wait until the 341 to tellthe trustee, or you could have your atty file amendments to your schedules that reflect closed accts with $0 balances. If there's more money involved and you've already filed, then yes, amendments would be needed.

But whatever the situation, the best place to start is with a call to the atty's office: tell them what you did, and let them take care of whatever changes need to be made. Your part is to ensure that whatever gets to the trustee is as correct as it can be, hence my advice above. Good luck!!!
      Nolo Press book on filing Chapter 7, there are others too. (I have no affiliation with Nolo Press; just a happy customer.) Best wishes to you!

Comment

So long as you make your lawyer aware you should be okay. If there was any money in the account make sure you can account for how you spent it.
        May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
        July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
        September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

JRScott, accounting for funds spent in the accounts would be unnecessary, as any cash on hand at the time of filing is declared (and exempted, if possible). Oldrocker closing his accts *after* the filing doesn't change the fact that the court was already made aware of the existence of the money. He can do what he likes with it. It's not a gain or an asset -- such as a tax refund or stimulus check -- he just moved cash from point A to point B, thus making it harder for the trustee to track and verify. He's not going to be required to demonstrate what he did with money that was declared as an asset at the time he filed.
          Nolo Press book on filing Chapter 7, there are others too. (I have no affiliation with Nolo Press; just a happy customer.) Best wishes to you!

Comment

Based on his initial post I'm not sure he's filed yet , and they do normally question you about closed accounts in the time leading up to a filing. That's why I said to make sure he could account for any monies. If he has filed as you say Fresh it won't matter.
            May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
            July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
            September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

The only reason's trustees care about whether an acct has been closed, is if there was a large balance at that time. I wouldn't worry too much about changing your paperwork. Just bring the final statement with you to your 341 just in case they ask.
              Chapter 7 Pro Se....Discharged Feb. 2006

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. Lately I have been second (third and forth) guessing every damn thing I do or have ever done. BK hypochondria I guess.
                The future is unwritten. J.S.

Comment

Originally posted by oldrocker View Post
                  Thanks for the replies guys. Lately I have been second (third and forth) guessing every damn thing I do or have ever done. BK hypochondria I guess.
                  Cut that out.

(I know it's easier said than done, I'm a worrier too, but still and all... stop it! )

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X