No announcement yet.

what have you done to spend less?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This type of discussion explains why there are certain people who claim there is no recession & yet also how close we really are to the bottom dropping out. They don't see all the cut backs people have already made to survive so it appears that everyone is still doing just fine when they look at numbers.

Selling the extra truck, using wood instead of natural gas, buying clothes on clearance racks only...

But what is happening is all the extra things people used to do & buy, they aint buying them much any more as entertainment becomes smaller & the money that would be spent on extras like a grand vacation- is going in the gas tank.

so, the same amount of spending is still there- it is just going in a different direction. You dont get as much gasoline as you used to but you are still spending what you always made because it is higher & you had to cut out your filt mignon & get a cheaper beer.

I feel people are way more worried today than they were when Reagan took office...time will reveal it.

Comment

Oh, yes, it will become more & more evident....

I agree, Bandit.. there are already signs that people are shifting their priorities - Starbucks closing 600 stores, for example - we just can't do the things we used to. Going to the movies is now a real luxury for us. A family of 5 we easily spend $60+ (and that's sneaking in with our own candy!
      "You can never get enough of what you don't need to make you happy."
      6/16/08: Attorney approached lenders to surrender old home
      8/26/08: Met w/attorney RE: filing BK
      9/29/08: Filing Chapter 7

Comment

Originally posted by Frogge View Post
        I agree, Bandit.. there are already signs that people are shifting their priorities - Starbucks closing 600 stores, for example - we just can't do the things we used to. Going to the movies is now a real luxury for us. A family of 5 we easily spend $60+ (and that's sneaking in with our own candy!
        I know that I LOVE Starbucks coffee, but I am cutting back and a "treat" for me is now *gas station coffee* (yeah). Yes, our priorites are changing...sad...
        May 2008 Hired 1st Attorney/Stopped paying CCs
        May 21, 2009 Retained 2nd Attorney
        May 28th - Filed for Ch 7 (FINALLY!)
        9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by liz417 View Post
          I know that I LOVE Starbucks coffee, but I am cutting back and a "treat" for me is now *gas station coffee* (yeah). Yes, our priorites are changing...sad...
          Yes, gas station coffee at least is better than the old days.. here in KS we have QuikTrip and they actually have really good coffees, lattes, etc. IF you have the time to go inside and get it! ALSO, McD's has good stuff now and it's FREE on Mondays.... FYI...

Comment

Originally posted by Frogge View Post
            Yes, gas station coffee at least is better than the old days.. here in KS we have QuikTrip and they actually have really good coffees, lattes, etc. IF you have the time to go inside and get it! ALSO, McD's has good stuff now and it's FREE on Mondays.... FYI...
            Yes, I'm afraid I've become a "connoissseur" of gas station coffee...only $1.39 a cup (beats $4-5 for a Starbucks Latte!)! Actually it isn't so bad, I'll have to keep an eye out for a QuikTrip store....
            McD's FREE coffee on Mondays????!!!???? I'm going to check into that!!!
            May 2008 Hired 1st Attorney/Stopped paying CCs
            May 21, 2009 Retained 2nd Attorney
            May 28th - Filed for Ch 7 (FINALLY!)
            9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bandit View Post
              good ol Kroger. in my opinion that is still, by far the best grocery in America.
              They used to do double coupons when I lived where Krogers was. Do they still have that on certain days?

I loved those double coupon days, but we have two Krogers and they haven't done that for quite a while, I am hoping they will again soon, I am saving coupons just in case they do.

Another local grocery runs special coupons good for a month and if you spend $50 weekly they give you .25 off a gallon of gas up to 15 gallons, that helps a bunch!

Oh and next Monday I am finding out if McD's has free coffee here, their coffee is good and so are their $1 Double cheeseburgers, it's a nice treat for the kids. 8 double cheeseburgers, 4 small fries, drink water or free coffee, 10% off card from local school fund raiser, cheap meal for a family of 4!
              Last edited by justplaintired; 07-14-2008, 06:34 PM.
              Filed Chapter 7 June 4 ~ 341 July 20 ~Last day of objections Sept 18~Discharged/Closed Sept 21

Comment

McD's FREE coffee on Mondays????!!!???? I'm going to check into that!!!
                Hey, yeah, 'splain that please..is there a catch..purchase required?

I love Starbucks too but have heard that McD's lattes are every bit as good at half the price. Haven't tried em yet. I haven't purchased a latte in a long time but still think the brew is a decent price at SB.

7-11 actually has decent coffee too now.

ep
                California Bankruptcy Central

Comment

Originally posted by Bandit View Post
                  good ol Kroger. in my opinion that is still, by far the best grocery in America.
                  They used to do double coupons when I lived where Krogers was. Do they still have that on certain days?
                  They double coupons up to .50 and triple up to .39 every day.
                  9/03/08...Chapter 7 Filed
                  10/06/08...341 Meeting Done!!! No Objections
                  12/08/2008...Case Discharged and Closed!!!

Comment

We are on a strict budget here, and we have not even filed yet. We try and go out to eat once a month as a treat. Not sure if we will be able to do that after we file. Shop sales, use coupons. We don;t really go anywhere. Play alot of board games and watch alot of movies.

Mcdonalds iced coffee is awesome. I would have never even thought to try it. My mom told me about it.

Hope we can do a few things fun once in awhile, after we file our 13.

Chrissy
                    Mom2one aka Chrissy Chapter 13
                    Filed 11/08~341 1/15/09~ confirmed 2/27/09
                    Wonderful Attorney! Just trying to get through the 5 years!!

Comment

I don't even buy coffee at the store anymore. Travel mug I fill at home

At the office, 1 person brought in a coffee pot, and 3 of us contribute to supplying to coffee, filters, sugar, creamer, etc........
                      You can't have your cake and eat it too. But you can dip your finger in the bowl and lick the icing

Comment

McDonalds

OK, I was searching around on the internet last night about the FREE coffee Mondays... apparently this is something they did periodically the last couple years, and started it again -I think in April? - with the launch of their lattes, cappucinos and flavored iced coffee drinks. I think the actual drink offered and timing (every Monday or what) is different in different locations.

In my experience here in KS, there is a big sign on the window that shows the featured drink (last week was Vanilla Iced Coffee) and says "FREE on Mondays!" I drove through Monday morning and ordered a small one, and nothing else, and the lady at the pay window said "no charge today"

Comment

Originally posted by RedLight View Post
                          They double coupons up to .50 and triple up to .39 every day.
                          Not in Indiana! No fair!
                          Filed Chapter 7 June 4 ~ 341 July 20 ~Last day of objections Sept 18~Discharged/Closed Sept 21

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X