what have you done to spend less?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what have you done to spend less?

hi i was just looking for some tips or lifestyle changes others have made on here to save a little money and spend less. well here's what ive been doing.

1. Dollar stores....lol they really do have alot of cool things there for cheap. i love buying my cleaning supplies there, sponges, paperplates...things like that.

2. Sams Club- i have a membership there and that helps out alot with food costs, and if ya have cats they have litter for really cheap.

3. i used to go to the hair salon to get my hair dyed....that would run me like 50 bucks, now i buy the 10 dollar stuff from walmart! the only thing i go to the salon for now is a trim once in a while.

4. Walmart! whatever i cant get at sams or the dollar store i get at walmart.

5. go PREPAID CELLPHONE- my actual cell phone had to go to collections cause i was paying 90 a month, i now have a prepaid and cut way down on using it and now i only spend about 30 a month

im sure i have more that i just cant think of right now so i will post them as i think of them.

so what other things have you guys done to save?? im looking for some good ideas.
    Last edited by bk4sky; 07-12-2008, 06:23 PM.
    retained lawyer june 08, filed may 09....341 on 6/26/09- went smooth! Glad to be part of the 60 day club .... AND- 6/27/09- got engaged
    10/30/10- WEDDING!!
    09/04/09-discharged!!!

If you check out the after the bankruptcy section, there is a forum for lifestyle changes to avoid getting into this mess again. You will find enough ideas and suggestions to keep you reading for a few hours at least.
    Chapter 13 filed -8/12/04
    Plan approved- 7/11/05
    Date discharged--10-12-2007
    Date closed- 12/6/2007:yes2::yes2:

Comment

There was a thread on this yesterday....

Comment

ah..ok thank you both! i didnt see those other threads, ill be sure to check them out.
        retained lawyer june 08, filed may 09....341 on 6/26/09- went smooth! Glad to be part of the 60 day club .... AND- 6/27/09- got engaged
        10/30/10- WEDDING!!
        09/04/09-discharged!!!

Comment

Cutting expeneses will only take you so far. By far the most important thing you need to do is raise your income. You need to start looking for a better job or, take on some pt work.
          You have to have a budget and, it sure helps to be frugal but over time, inflation will take you right out of the game unless you can make more money.

Comment

huh yeah i totally know i need to look for a better paying job. i have my associates in business managmenet, had a great paying job, then was forced into a low paying job, then got a good job again, then again forced into a low paying job, so the past few years have been quite a struggle. i have been looking faithfully for a new job, but so far all there is around my area is 10 an hour telephone customer service rep jobs. i want to go back to school but im worried about juggling school while working full time and also would i even be able to get a student loan with my rapidly declining credit
            10/30/10- WEDDING!!
            09/04/09-discharged!!!

Comment

The best way to save money I've found is that when I get my paycheck I take out money for food/gas when I go to the bank. All food/gas is paid for in cash. When I run out no more buying food/gas.

This has helped me shopping for groceries especially well keeping an eye on prices and such .
              May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
              July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
              September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

Everyone has posted these same or similar postings in another recent thread on the same subject.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

For me, getting a job has been HUGE. My daughter is starting kindergarten and our BK will be discharged soon, so it is good timing.
                  Filed 4-21-2008
                  7/16- DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JRScott View Post
                    The best way to save money I've found is that when I get my paycheck I take out money for food/gas when I go to the bank. All food/gas is paid for in cash. When I run out no more buying food/gas.

This has helped me shopping for groceries especially well keeping an eye on prices and such .
                    This is the best advice. It has changed our way of life and made us realize how much money we were wasting on coffees and drive thru's. We also never realized how much the extra trips here and there were costing us in gas.

Comment

ITA with the cash only for food & gas. I can't believe how much I was underestimating our spending / budget.. everything when we fell behind. I wouldn't think about all those trips to McD's for the kids, slushies, convenience store trips, etc. It adds up fast.

It's AMAZING to take out cash, and then see how fast it goes when you spend $3,5 or $7 here and there. Now that I actually am beginning to stick to a realistic budget now -- on our income alone with no CC's -- these little expenditures are dropping dramatically. The kids are whining about it somewhat, but they'll get used to it. I now realize I was giving in to every little whim, and getting too comfortable with that way of life, which is really not good for them at all.
                      "You can never get enough of what you don't need to make you happy."
                      6/16/08: Attorney approached lenders to surrender old home
                      8/26/08: Met w/attorney RE: filing BK
                      9/29/08: Filing Chapter 7

Comment

My wife and I have just recently figured out how to use coupons at Kroger. We have cut our bill from $120 a week down to $35. And, most of that $35 is produce which you can't get coupons for. It takes time, but we are stocking up on stuff and sometimes Kroger pays us to take their merchandise. ;)
                        9/03/08...Chapter 7 Filed
                        10/06/08...341 Meeting Done!!! No Objections
                        12/08/2008...Case Discharged and Closed!!!

Comment

Last week, my car's needle was almost on the big E again, and I had no cash for gasoline. So I gathered up all the aluminum cans we had accumulated for 2-3 weeks and took them in to the scrappers. I got $3.50 for all that effort, and the cheapest gas was $4.00......... S*I*G*H*
                          "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

I've started writing down everything I spend every day. I ask for receipts for everything I pay cash for, and if I can't get a receipt, I'll make my own (even if it's just 1.00 for something from the vending machine, or quarters for the laundry), then I enter it all into a spreadsheet every couple of weeks. It's amazing how quickly the little things add up, and somehow, writing it all down makes me think twice about spending it in the first place.
                            Filed Ch. 7: 3/20/08
                            341: 4/21/08
                            Discharged: 7/7/08
                            Closed: 7/16/08

Comment

Originally posted by RedLight View Post
                              My wife and I have just recently figured out how to use coupons at Kroger. We have cut our bill from $120 a week down to $35. And, most of that $35 is produce which you can't get coupons for. It takes time, but we are stocking up on stuff and sometimes Kroger pays us to take their merchandise. ;)
                              good ol Kroger. in my opinion that is still, by far the best grocery in America.
                              They used to do double coupons when I lived where Krogers was. Do they still have that on certain days?

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X