BK one year later

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BK one year later

My chp 7 bk was discharged in July of last year. I had $50K of debt, $25K on a car and $25K unsecured credit cards and loans.

In November of 2006, I had taken a $4000 cash advance, but by April of 07 I was totally out of money and had to file. I was worried that the creditor would object even though it was out of the time frame because it was so large of an advance, but lo and behold, they didn't and my BK sailed right through.

I did NOT re-affirm my car loan and have been continuing to pay on it ever since. It was through Ford Credit and I have been paying by snail mail because they will not let me pay on the website anymore. No big deal really, it's more of a pain to them when you think about it. They obviously are doing it out of petty retribution. I remember back when I used to hang out on this forum the issue of re-affirming a car loan would always start a long and tangled discussion. First of all, yes, under the new rules of BK you are required to affirm a secured loan. But if you have a good aggresive attorney like I did, he will bend the rules for you because it is never in the interest of the filer to reaffirm, unless you want that creditor reporting your payments to re-build credit. I was NOT the least bit interested in rebuilding credit, credit is what got me into this predicament to begin with. Anyway, I still have my car, they aren't trying to repo, and I won't say anything further on the matter as I'm sure it will cause an upleasant debate.

So, was it worth it? You bet. I have more money now than I've ever had. I have not had to pay minimum balance fees in my bank account for a long time now. I was able to pay for reconstructive cosmetic surgery that was not covered by insurance. And I have remembered the lessons I learned about living frugally, and I still mind my money today.

Back when I was going through this process I told myself I would never use a credit card or get any kind of a loan again. Well, I've learned that that's the wrong attitude to have. You have to rebuild credit afterward because it is needed in so many different areas. In looking for apartments I am surprised by how many require not only that you have a good credit score, so will not allow BK at all.

My B of A Visa survived the BK and I've been using it and paying more than the minimum on time each month. My APR is only 14% and they send me convenience checks every few weeks. It has a $6000 limit, my balance on it right now is about $1400, and they have been reporting my payments every month.

What is my FICO? I don't know. I hope someone here can tell me how to find it. I went to myfico.com and the price was $50. I won't pay that much to find out. Back in September of 06 my FICO was 733 when I bought my car. I'm sure it dropped quite a bit by April of 07 when I filed.
    Filed C7: 04/25/2007
    341: 05/21/2007
    Last Day for Objections: 07/20/2007
    Discharged: 07/23/07 Closed: 07/26/07

Now that is interesting....if you re-affirm a debt they report it on your credit report and it helps re-build your credit? It didn't occur to me that the tradeline would continue to report like that.

Comment

Well from what I have read on this forum reaffirming doesn't guarantee they will report it.

Sounds like you're on the right track, another encouraging story, I love it.

I know their are sites that will give you a free credit report. I hope someone will post that site for you, maybe you can find it by a google search.

Anyway congrats on turning your financial life around!
      Filed Chapter 7 June 4 ~ 341 July 20 ~Last day of objections Sept 18~Discharged/Closed Sept 21

Comment

ep
        California Bankruptcy Central

Comment

thank you for the post, manglicmot - good reading!!
          Filed 7/28/08, Discharged 10/29/08
          (filed pro se: nonconsumer no asset CH7)

Comment

Another success story...I love it!

Congrats on life after bk, it sounds like you are doing great!
            May 2008 Hired 1st Attorney/Stopped paying CCs
            May 21, 2009 Retained 2nd Attorney
            May 28th - Filed for Ch 7 (FINALLY!)
            9/11/09 - DISCHARGED!!!!

Comment

On a similar note;

We filed Ch. 7 in November. Business failure after almost eight years. Lots of debt.

My wife always worked outside our business (for the insurance) as an executive assistant. After the business failure, I was able to get a decent job with the company I worked for previous to starting the business.

Because the debt is gone, my wife is able to quit here job in three weeks, go back to school full time (for the next six years...yuck) and complete her Pharmacy Doctorate. She has wanted to do it since she graduated with her business degree over a dozen years ago, but never had the money. She's now very excited to pursue her dream at 36 years old, having not been able to do it before because of our situation.

I resisted going bankrupt for a long time....I finally realized sometimes you have to fall all the way to the bottom of the hole and catch your breath before you can crawl out!
              Chapter 7 Filed - 11/27/07
              Discharged - 2/29/08
              Unsecured Debt Discharged - $162k +/- (small business, personally guaranteed)
              Finally Closed - 3/1/09

Comment

Thank you for sharing your story.

Comment

Success stories are always wonderful and I wish all those that survive BK smartly the best. But when you are out of BK a while as we are and see what is going on around you as to others and the economy, there are things we all must realize about the process. Even though we survived a BK, we are still paying for those that filed or will file in increased prices for many things including increased insurance and other costs. Just as prices rise for internal fraud and theft and shoplifting, or insurance or welfare/government fraud or overspending by government and businesses, we all eventually pay somehow for all the bankrupticies that are filed along with all that.

While we are now OK with our own situation, we will continue to pay for our BK and others' BK's over the years to come. And BK's/foreclosures are rising and will continue to rise for some time. Think about that the next time to you go to the department store or grocery store and see costs just rise and rise. It is not only costs due to gas and transportation cost increases, you are also paying extra for many other things that you just don't think about.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X