top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

if I flee to Canada, should i still file?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if I flee to Canada, should i still file?

just curious if i get a job in Canada, would they find out i would be in huge debt from the States....since our systems seem to be connected with each other.

I'm assuming you'd still be a US citizen?

Comment

If they pulled a credit report they would find out.

Keep in mind Canada could refuse you a work visa as well.
      May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
      July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
      September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

Actually, the two systems aren't really connected to each other. Canada uses a SIN number (9 digits); in America, we use a SSN number (10 digits) -- your credit rating is country-specific. It's not even very easy to get a US credit report in Canada. For better or worse, if you move to Canada, you start from 0 -- no credit history.

Actually, the stickier problem is getting a job in Canada. There are two ways to do this:

1) you apply for immigration and once your accepted, you look for a job (this takes between 1 and 2 years, during which you have to show proof that you have appx. $11,000 in cash that can be used to support yourself in Canada.)

2) If your job is on the NAFTA list ( http://www.canadaworkpermit.com/ftoccupations.html ) -- you can actually look for a job in Canada and if it's offered, you can get a work and residence permit on the spot. You have to have a college degree that matches your profession.

I realize your question was more basic, meaning would your new employer check on you and/or would your creditors find you. I don't know. I think unless you were going for a serious security-risk job, I would doubt that a Canadian employer would check American credit records or even court records. You do have to submit to a criminal background check in order to be allowed to stay in Canada by immigration authorities (but that doesn't include civil matters like debt judgments, for example and it certainly doesn't include credit checks.)

As to creditors finding you -- I really don't see it as very likely, but I guess it's possible. This is complete speculation on my part, but I guess if they had a reason to look for you in Canada (i.e., they called your parents and they said "oh, yeah, jimmy moved to Ottawa, here's his number..."), they could, and if they were truly motivated, I guess they could get a judgment enforced, but it wouldn't be easy or cheap for them. I think it would be too many hurdles for them. It's true that the Canadian and US legal systems are very similar and often have to cooperate with each other, but they are absolutely two completely separate systems, so your creditor would have to appear in front of a Canadian judge and request that a US judgment be enforced -- and that's not a lazy summary judgment kind of a thing.

The bigger issue I would worry about is "eventually would they find me?" I would say odds are against it, but I would hate to go through the trouble of building a whole new life only to get proved wrong down the line.
        Last edited by Aaaaah!; 09-05-2008, 01:23 AM.

Comment

thanks everyone! especially aaaah! for such good details

Comment

Originally posted by Scott50 View Post
            I'm assuming you'd still be a US citizen?
            i wish to become a Canadian citizen

Comment

Wait a minute? Who wants to go to Cananda with me!

J/K

Filed 10/20/08
              Discharged 1/27/09

Comment

Originally posted by Aaaaah! View Post
                Actually, the two systems aren't really connected to each other. Canada uses a SIN number (9 digits); in America, we use a SSN number (10 digits) -- your credit rating is country-specific..
                I thought U.S has 9 digitis. Atleast I do along with the thousands of SSN's I have available

123-45-6789

I also process canadian information through our program for childsupport collections. We process their I.D.

Comment

Thanks, Mi Bankruptcy, for keeping me on my toes. You're right. However, the format is different, which is what messed me up.

More info:

In any case, to Screams' question, there is no connection between the US Social Security Number and the Canadian Social Insurance Number. Actually, what's even funnier is that banks, etc. aren't even allowed by law in Canada to ask for the number. It has to be provided to open an interest-bearing account (for income reporting purposes) but you can actually refuse to offer it and a bank can't legally refuse you the credit (if they would not have otherwise.)

Mi Bankruptcy: when you say process their ID, you mean once you have a Canadian SIN number? (i.e., you can't find it in a gov't database, for instance -- Scream's question.) Or are you going to prove me wrong twice? ;-)
                  Last edited by Aaaaah!; 09-05-2008, 07:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaaaah! View Post
                    Thanks, Mi Bankruptcy, for keeping me on my toes. You're right. However, the format is different, which is what messed me up.

More info:

Mi Bankruptcy: when you say process their ID, you mean once you have a Canadian SIN number? (i.e., you can't find it in a gov't database, for instance -- Scream's question.) Or are you going to prove me wrong twice? ;-)
                    I can't prove you wrong on that one.. I just knew the first was a typo.. However, with the Canadian SIN it really depends on the employer relations in the U.S. We are still able to work with Canada to Garnish wages. Mostly it takes the Canadian citzen or worker to use their SIN in the U.S. to be picked up or the Canada employer send info to the U.S. then it is captured that way.

Basically, there are several.. If's ands' and buts' involved. Better to do BK and let it ride for 7 years. Unless you really like Canada and want to go there.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark80 View Post
                      Wait a minute? Who wants to go to Cananda with me!

J/K

*raises hand*

Comment

My brother lives in Germany. He still has/had to pay all his Credit Card debt in the United States. Not sure of the details but if you ever plan on coming back to the US then I wouldnt just leave without at least a plan of taking care of your debt.

You just never know what the future holds and at this point you 'want' to be a Canadian Citizen. You are not and have no idea what that will involve. Why live with this over your head the rest of your life? Closing doors on one country because you want to escape your debt is really not a smart way of preparing for the future.
                        5/29 Filed 7~ 341-on 6/24
                        8/27-DISCHARGED
                        11/2 - CLOSED
                        EQ-604 EX-605 TU-560 ~4.5 months after discharge

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X